What is happening?

Hi again, I'm just wondering if anyone knows what is happening with my daughter. 

She keeps having these episodes where all of a sudden she will stop whatever she's doing and stare into space for a few seconds and when it's over she will carry on doing what she was doing like nothing ever happened. She will do this little movement with her mouth which I can't describe and if she's standing she will become a bit wobbly. I haven't seen or noticed this before in her and it just doesn't make any sense. I'm pretty sure it isn't day dreaming because you can't 'snap her out' of it. 

Any ideas are grateful.

Thanks x

• She also suffers a lot of déjà vu &

That could be a clue to the cause of the mind freeze problem.

When I have unpleasant déjà vu, I freeze and my  mind pretends these past events never happened.

• My daughter, 13, does this also. We still don't know what it is although family member with epilepsy said it sounds like when she has absence seizures. Daughter had a tonic clonic seizure 18 months ago & has been having staring episodes since she was a baby. She also has a lot of jerky movements where her arm will punch out or legs twitch. She also suffers a lot of déjà vu & says everything has turned blue. She had an EEG but they found no epileptic activity. Still waiting for a reason & more testing as even the consultant who first saw her was surprised when the EEG came back fine. Covid happened & everything got cancelled so waiting to be referred. Speak to the GP & get a referral to neurology. I've read that seizures are common in Autism

• Maybe you were always ahead of us Relaxed

• I spent almost my entire childhood staring blankly into space.

• I have read there are links between Autism & Epilepsy though I don't claim to be an expert. It's interesting, as I had a Grandfather with Epilepsy where he would stop functioning altogether in a seizure and be somewhere else entirely from this world we know of. Where he went, I do not know but shortly afterwards he would ' come around ' as they say.

Also, the first sign of Autism in the family was one of his Grandchildren, possibly  others, or with other mental health or addiction issues. For example, two of his sons had families where all the males had alcohol problems, one male was so obviously Autistic and the females were able to hide their problems more but they always came out in less obvious spotted concerns like OCD, ADHD and sugar addiction ( sweets, chocolate etc ) and in speech and how they controlled it. 

On a positive note, I have heard these are positive Qualities in a spiritual sense as in certain moments, there is no rules  or restrictions  and this may point to a higher natural state of consciousness but who am I to say. 

• Yes - glitch-mode and auto-pilot afterwards.

• It sounds like a seizure. Not all seizures make the person fall on the ground shaking, they could be sitting upright and have some repetitive movements and they could be unresponsive to questions, and when they come out of it they might not realize that they had a seizure. Maybe talk to her doctor about it. 

• Thanks - but i was just illustrating the sort of things that can be happening if it is a seizure - the auto-pilot thing was strange - I was awake and sort-of functioning but shell-shocked - the lights were on but no-one was home.

It happened to me at about 8:30am - but I was only together enough to phone for help at lunchtime.   Before that, I knew I needed help - and the phone would summon it - but I had no idea how a phone worked - for over 3 hours - but it feels like about 10 minutes..

• I'm sorry to hear that xx

• I've had a really bad seizure - it was like a bomb going off in my head - literally - when i came around, it was just like I had witnessed an explosion - with whistling / ringing in my ears - it was like a glitch-reset and I had no idea what had happened - it took me a few hours to fully come around - I was in some kind of auto-pilot 'beer-scooter' mode..    Weird gaps in my memory too.

My memory also has strange, impossible spacial distortions - re-arranged rooms, distance stretching and compression etc.

• She is aware of them and told me that when she freezes, she can sometimes block out the noise and everything happening around. It doesn't effect what she does or anything so I'm not too worried but I am at the same time. 

• I've heard that it could be a seizure but her dad (my ex) isn't too worried about it and he's a paramedic so I'm taking his word for it. She isn't having them as frequently but they still do happen and now her neck flops forward like the muscles relax completely but she is aware and isn't worried about it. 

• It's a very good question.  Have you tried asking her?

I'm interested because I do it and I have no idea why.  I am walking along and I suddenly freeze for a few seconds and just stare out into space.  Afterwards I hope that nobody noticed it.

The good news is that my freezes haven't got worse over time. I  hope your daughter is aware of them and can avoid them in public.

• Hi, this sounds like something  my adult son started doing . Research suggests it could be a type of seizure. I intended to speak with our gp but it's  been several  weeks  since son has had a 'pause' moment and other behaviours  have  now taken over