"Autistic" things you do.

What "autistic" things do you find yourselves doing? I do a lot of different things which I know a neurotypical wouldn't think twice about.

One of them is making sure everything in my house is straight, so the chairs, my books and DVDs on the shelf, pictures hanging on the wall and plenty more than that.

Recently I was doing up an MG Maestro and had noticed the offside headlight wasn't seated properly and was facing a little to the side. This bothered me so much, playing at the back of my mind until finally I went out and straightened it because I couldn't cope with it not being right.

I feel like I was actually approaching a meltdown, that's how much this sort of thing bothers me.

Am I alone in being this way?

• Self service tills - only use the ones that face the right way. The others are... wrong! 

Don't ask me why, they just are.  

• Makes perfect sense to me, Debbie! Slight smile

• Not only do they not do mental arithmetic, they probably wouldn't even know where to start

Weird... Thinking

Could be true though! 

• which of his are most memorable for you. For me it would be the Mongoliad, the baroque cycel coming in a close second. He is so informative, exciting, expert pacing and character development.. Reamde was lots of fun too..

• No, I never got round to reading Benford although I was aware of him. I have read most of Stephenson’s work though.

• read 'em all, friend! He is a singular unique voice.

Have you ever read the Gregory Benford's "Galactic Center Saga"? It through this series I came to Iaian M Banks. and then later Neil Stephenson, Alastair Reynolds..

• My user name here is a misspelling of something from Reynold’s revelation space novels.

• Iain M Banks is my favourite author. I was gutted when he died. The culture series is amazing. You should also try his Against a Dark Background and Feersum Endjinn.

• Hi Pixel

i do exactly the same as I suffer ocd. Anything to do with my work, tidying up at home but also interestingly I have this thing with time. I will when under pressure to be somewhere I will try and get every task at home done before I leave, it’s impossible and coupled with asd this destroys me even before I get out the door. Do you feel sometimes that the ocd can work against the asd?? 

• Paying a lot of attention to specific details while leaving others untouched; nothing like doing on-the-spot internet research, I guess. There's also pacing around rooms (I noticed that I've been doing that a lot recently in my home) and walking around aimlessly (Stairs have to be the evilest invention man has created) and going deep into internet rabbit holes that satisfies my curiosities. All while being distracted from things—especially the last one.

• I have 17 of the same dress. no others.

• Hi Paper, I'm rereading a Km Stanley Robinson book, NYC under water. after that I think I want to read something really different: Ambrose Bierce. I hope I cna find them in audio. 

• I can be either and cant' tell which it will be until I get (what I think) is feed back one way or the other. If it's prose and poetry then thats different kettle o' fish.

• Apparently, I neigh like a horse.

• Ditto my Nan. 

• I buy variations on a theme clothing. Same brand, same style, different colours. Makes it easier if the thing fits.

If i am in the car, and music comes on the mp3 player that I feel would be judged "uncool" (sea shanties....) I turn it down, which I assume is masking.

I love flat-pack furniture, especially IKEA. There is something incredibly joyous about it. It's like solving a puzzle and the diagrams in the instructions are like a millions words distilled into a single image. If I had a dream job it would be assembling ikea furniture.

• Saying different views and reasonings for those views I think is good. Then you can understand why someone may have behaved a certain way, and you can also take reasons from all sides to reform your own ideas.

• oh yeah, when i write a long strange post on facebook i lose plenty of friends lol
    some friends just seem to want you to be a blank quiet person with no thoughts or ideas, then ofcourse some misunderstand my posts and see them as insulting which to be fair they can be but they require a detachment of self to understand as i often write in ways where i am detached so i can do alot of critical posts that seem insulting to everyone or even state every single view on a option that isnt mine and people would get upset thinking they are my views rather than a category of different opinions and views on a thing.

alot of people cant seem to detach or think beyond themselves, like if i got into a historical discussion and stated the beliefs of one group of people and they were bad beliefs against todays standards, naturally people who cant see others beliefs and are stuck in 2d mindset and cant detach would then think im saying those mean things are my beliefs rather than me stating a example of others beliefs.

then ofcourse i recently posted a long economic post, which might have implied everyone that got positions through social contacts and advanced that way are simply not as smart as a person that struggled on their own and had to find their own way alone. alot of people dont find their own way so alot of people can be offended at the realisation that a person like me they looked down on has caught or passed them and pointed out im smarter than them for doing it alone where as they needed social privileges.

• I am exactly the same.

• I also say very little (or anything at all) in person, but online I talk too much lol. Ive had allistic online friends before who blocked me because I wrote to them too often and wrote paragraphs about stuff they didnt care about