"Autistic" things you do.

What "autistic" things do you find yourselves doing? I do a lot of different things which I know a neurotypical wouldn't think twice about.

One of them is making sure everything in my house is straight, so the chairs, my books and DVDs on the shelf, pictures hanging on the wall and plenty more than that.

Recently I was doing up an MG Maestro and had noticed the offside headlight wasn't seated properly and was facing a little to the side. This bothered me so much, playing at the back of my mind until finally I went out and straightened it because I couldn't cope with it not being right.

I feel like I was actually approaching a meltdown, that's how much this sort of thing bothers me.

Am I alone in being this way?

Parents
  • I would perceive what you are describing as having a basis of OCD rather than autism Thinking

• I have both. During my assessment it was noted how I kept everything straight and neat, though I did wonder if I had been misdiagnosed with autism but upon being reassessed in 2018 they determined I do have autism, again. From what I've read and been told by professionals autism and OCD go hand-in-hand, appears you can't really have one without the other for many.

• When I lived with my grandmother in Bradford I would hang my laundry out on the line in the backyard. It seemed fine to me but she'd always go out afterwards and re-peg it all. When I asked her about it she'd say 'I couldn't stand seeing it like that, what would the neighbours says?!'. I think they'd actually say (or think) very little/nothing about it, in reality Upside down

• Ditto my Nan. 

Reply Children
No Data