I'm Feeling Proud!

Hi everyone. I’m L. I joined here a while ago but soon after I got really sick with Sepsis and it’s taken this long to recover.

I wanted to share this good news with everybody. I’m feeling proud of myself. I saw that this new Barbie film is out and playing at my local theatre so I did the unimaginable and went to the cinema! I was so anxious. And I did feel a little giddy a few times but I persevered and saw it through and it was a good experience! There were a lot of people but not as many as I thought there would be. Maybe it wasn’t a popular film? But I’m really glad I went and I feel so proud for going and seeing it through to the end. I had my earplugs, in case I needed to turn on some soothing music to calm myself and I also had my little comfort bear that I take with me whenever I go out.

Do you go to the cinema regularly? I’m not going to make a habit of this but I did enjoy the experience but personally feel a lot calmer and happier watching stuff on my computer and laptop at home.

Best wishes, L.

• I thought it was amazing! Please let me know what you and your daughter think when you see it. I hope you have a lovely time.

• On another note:

An Acting Union, in Hollywood, is currently on Strike.

Unionized Labour is the reasons all the production and assembly jobs went to China, and Bangladesh.

• Wow amazing.

Well done for doing that. You should be proud that's amazing.

• Congratulations L. How was the film? I’m taking my daughter to see it next week

• even legal streaming at home the cinema releases come out on streaming platforms after a week anyway, so people can pretty much watch it at home 

• Thank you! I am really proud I was able to do this. It took a lot of effort and was exhausting but I'm glad I did it.

• I’m so sorry your dad went through that. I can honestly say having Sepsis is the worst experience of my life. I actually thought I was going to die. Never felt so bad in my entire life! Never want that again. I’m glad you enjoyed being at the cinema with your friends, once you had adjusted. I feel like it’s like being a fish taken to a new pond. It takes time to adjust to the lighting, the sounds around you, the new environment. And then once you’ve adjusted you can sit back and enjoy. That was what it was like for me. The screen was huge at my cinema too, pulled my eyes a little bit actually. I prefer smaller screens as they are easier to focus on. The sound was a bit overkill for me. I used my ear pods a few times when I needed them. Total lifesavers, I never go out without them anymore. I find them useful in almost all situations especially when I’m town in the shops. People can be loud and there’s so much else going on I quickly put them in and listen to a good song or calming sounds and it puts me at ease again. I like both DVDs and TV though I think I am more of a TV series. See you like Doctor Who. Me too! I binge watch Doctor Who and a lot of other TV series though I do like to watch films as well. I find watching stuff and listening to stuff relaxing. I enjoyed going to the cinema but it will probably be a long time before I go again.

• I think part of the problem is that there are all sorts of grey legal areas now for getting early home access to notionally cinema-only films. Personally, the idea of just having all this paralysing choice of stuff I haven't properly paid to see weirds me out too much, so I stick to the entirely legal avenues. But I do know people who just get to see everything at home, more or less as it comes out. We all have different comfort levels around that stuff, I just feel too sketchy about it. 

• Congrats on getting over sepsis (an uphill battle if ever there was on, as I know from my dad's experience) and being able to reward yourself with a cinema trip. 

I hadn't been to the cinema since 2019 until I met up with two friends the week before last to see Indiana Jones 5. To my astonishment, cinema had evolved in my absence, and the picture now extrudes to the side walls and not just the main screen. At first I couldn't handle it so used my hands to block out the extra 'wings' in order to see the traditional rectangle. But by the third scene where they used it (it's intermittent not constant) I was kind of on board and had adjusted. By the fifth such scene I was really rather into it! Of course, I'm sure it will only turn up in bit panoramic blockbusters but it was a new one one me. 

Like you, I find the sound levels to be crazy loud - so I put my flare ear thingies in now at such events (cinema, live theatre/stand-up) and it helps a good bit to take the edge off even if it's still way louder than is needed,

I'm not really a movies person - preferring archive television - the 'long form',  episodic watches - but every now and then it's fun to see something, either in company or alone. It's nice to experience both. Occasionally, seeing something you know is only a 'you' film, without the presaure of having to go 'well, what did you think?' at the end to a friend who's not been having such a good time with it but politely disguising that - allows you to just be in the moment, and reflect quietly as you leave, or sit through the whole credits pondering your feelings about it.  

• Oh well done L! Cinema can be overwhelming, making it through a film is an achievement, you should be proud! Slight smile

• Hi yes it can be expensive. Do you go to your library much? Mine closed down a few years ago. I buy most of my books from ebay now instead.

• Good morning

I don't go to the cinema often as it's bit expensive. 

Usually try and record a movie on film 4. Local library has withdrawn DVD and CDs. 

A few years ago I had conjunctivitis and now being extra careful.

• Thank you! It is a daunting experience and can be a bit overwhelming. I've only been a handful of times, mostly with my mum and dad when I was a kid but usually had to go early because I had a meltdown. Your cinema sounds lovely! Mine is quite old, seats are pressed closely together and it felt stuffy inside. I think it could do with a refurbishment but no funds to do it here.

• Well done L, the cinema can be a bit daunting. Our local cinema has reopened after being closed for about 10 years. It’s had a massive refit and is back to its art deco glory. Every other row of seats has been removed so nobody is too near and I book an end of aisle seat so only my wife is next to me. I contact the cinema and find out what time the film actually starts and then slip in a couple of minutes before, obviously if you wait until a film has been released for a few weeks then the cinema is nearly empty.

• They were threatening to close the cinema here. There used to be two in my town but only one now. The other was closed during COVID-19.

• Thank you! Take your time and go when you're feeling it, that's what I did. I woke up that day and just felt like going and the rest is history. But I do think it was a one off for me. I own so many DVDs and personally prefer watching it at home.

• Last movie I saw, at the Cinema, was Sonic the Hedgehog; just before the 2020 Lockdown.

Never, again, shall I darken the door of a Cinema.

• yeah it counts all global cinema though.... i bet americans still fill up their cinemas, just in the uk our cinemas always seem empty. marvel films made high revenue so people are seeing them in cinema, but yet as i said every time i go see them no ones in and my cinema shut down due to low viewers.... could be my area i suppose, it is in the north west so poor area of the uk so no one probs got the money to waste on cinema here.

• Barbie broke records, so there must be some people going to see films. 

Great job L! I don't know when I'll feel okay to go to the cinema but it's definitely something I'd like to be able to do. I much prefer watching things at home, but it would be nice to not have to wait however long until a new film is available outside of theatres.