What TV shows do you like?

Are there any shows that are helping you get through the strange days we're living through?

I like those reality competitions e.g. the Bake Off, Sewing Bee, Best Home Cook, Pottery Throwdown etc. And things like Bridgerton and Winx, which are total fantasy escapes from reality.

I also remembered Detectorists. Does anyone watch that? A nice, subtle series with nothing horrible happening.

• *Matt Smith* not Matt Baker! I was still on my Tom Baker train of thought!

• I too would have a hard time pinning one down. I liked Tom Baker as he was my first introduction to Dr Who and he had a cool scarf. I’ve enjoyed both David Tennant and Matt Baker for different reasons. I think the material they’re given does impact on it a lot. Russell T. Davis was excellent.

• "Touch of Frost" ... many a Sunday afternoon lost watching them back-to-back on what was then UK Gold!

• Grand Designs is great, I often find myself thinking of what I might build if I ever got the chance.

Other TV shows I like are X-files, Merlin and Scorpion. I do tend to re-watch the same episodes a lot, repetition is comforting for me.

I’ve never got on with the Sitcom format and don’t find them funny.

• Love Grand Designs! Mainly because of the complete numpties trying to renovate or build some impossible homes! The recent one with the 16th century water mill. How did they pull that off? How did it not fall into the river? Thinking

• Grinning

• Up-vote for Stranger Things!

•  TV shows that I am currently watching and would recommend: 

Lupin (fun crime drama to relax) 

Babylon Berlin

Bulletproof

Grand Designs (is a nice escape)

• And I loved the friendship between Julian and Miles. And also Worf, Jadzia, Kira, Sisko, even the Ferengi.

Yes, I didn't like the weird Klingons in Discovery and all their intrigues, it was too complicated. I like the fact the Discovery went off into the future, it should be good from now on. And I've always loved Michelle Yeoh! Great actor.

• Oh yes, I love Jodie Whittaker. Perhaps she is my favourite. I can relate to her so much better than male doctors. When the Doctor is a man, it just seems like 'boys playing with their toys' and quite boring, but Jodie adds a warm and motherly aspect to it and shows that women can be brave, strong, clever, tough etc. too.

• That's why I avoid Hell's Kitchen. Far too loud and obnoxious.

• I just love how basic it is, they've obviously just got clothes from the dressing up box and thought those would do Joy

• It took me a while to shake off Malcolm Tucker when watching Capaldi. He was very "alien". Great fun to watch, not sure if I'd like him to be the "go-to" guy if I was in a fix though.

• https://youtu.be/YLO7tCdBVrA

This gets in my head! Love how happy this guy is about his painting! 

• I always enjoy, "A touch of Frost", because it was produced by Yorkshire television and I'm a born and bred Yorkshire man.

In every episode I look out for familiar landmarks.  In today's episode, 2.2, on ITV 3, I saw two and a half.

• The street of the first murder is only a five minute walk from my current address.  Although the episode was filmed in 1994, the street has hardly changed.  The same house doors, windows from front and back, the view of the whole street, the shape of the grass  verges.  
    • The launderette frost dropped his clothes off, was one I regularly used in the 1990s and it's still there.
    • The Mecca bingo hall.  This one I'm only half sure of.  The one  I'm thinking of was demolished around 2000.  So my memory is hazy.

It's good to watch TV when one has some personal communication to it.

• I can break the Doctors into tiers, even if I find it impossible to truly rank them, and in truth, it's more of tiers of eras. It's affected by the Doctors' personalities, the actors/acting, and the material they had.

First tier: Second, Fourth, Seventh, Ninth

Second tier: First, Third, Eighth, Tenth

Third tier: Fifth, Eleventh, Twelfth

Fourth tier: Sixth

Fifth tier: Thirteenth

Really, Colin Baker and Jodie Whittaker are let down by the material given to them more than anything. I don't think Whittaker was well-enough versed in the show, but I don't think her performance has been terrible. "The Timeless Children" was the worst garbage I've ever seen from the show though.

The Twelfth Doctor is an interesting case for me. I don't find the character all that likeable personally, but Peter Capaldi knocked his performance out of the park, and there is some great material, and I do like the era. Really though, until Chibnall came along as showrunner, I've never personally thought there was a truly "bad" era. I wish it was him going rather than Whittaker. I'd like to see what she could do with a better producer.

• Buck Rogers, I loved that intro - at least until the "starring" part of the opening credits...

• Starting with "Dead PIxels" now.... Joy

It's a win.

• i like certain cooking shows because in cooking shows, there's never drama, no killing, no insulting, no yelling or screaming

I've just tallied those up and found it funny that Hell's Kitchen has four of those Grinning

For all of Gordon Ramsey's annoyances and downright rudeness that show got me through my last rough patch and ignited a passion for cooking. 

• Tennant followed by Capaldi here.

I really, really, really wanted to like Jodie Whittaker, but I can't help feeling she misses some gravitas. Although Bradley Walsh was a great choice for a companion (shame he's going) and Sacha Dhawan is a very solid "Master".