denied jobs because im autistic

I am constantly being denied jobs because im Autistic does this happen to anyone else

• A very thankful person 

• mmmmmmmm ????  no

• Simon What's you? 

• Aidie do you have an issue with me participating in this discussion? 

• ok thanks  

ok thanks  

ok thanks  

ok thanks  

ok thanks  

ok thanks  

ok thanks  

Innocent

• Sometimes it's not the service but the people who provide it.

The person who help you Simon I imagine to be quite dedicated to getting you a job and no doubt it was more than just something he was required to carry.

Really a good in sort a good person. 

• I did indeed probably too much. When I’m grateful for something I tend to thank constantly.

• good guy, i hope u thanked him Slight smile

• I had that to he helped me get the current job I’m in.

• job centres try, but dont always get it right , but at least they try.

• When the job centre asked if I had any health conditions at the beginning I said autism and they said straight away "it doesn't affect anything" but then give me a personal helper because of it which didn't help

• I'm not sure what the clown thing is about. 

But I would just love for a clear structured system with concise rulse made in reason that are easily to understand when it comes to supporting people with disabilities. 

And laws against thing's like zero hour contracts, and laws stating that a company should hire you after working for them through and agency after a year of being with them. 

I find it hard to know if what I'm saying is understandable. 

What do you think about what I've said? 

• i agree pretty much with all u are saying. You do sound reasonably conscientious to me. I would love you to be working because right now there is so much to be done. 

dont being feeling bad about yourself . u sound such a nice person

Heart

• Hi Aidie,

Honestly I have tried with all of my consciousness to be an outstanding and productive employee. 

It is obvious however no matter how hard I try, the mental blind spot I have is so apparent that any organisation would find it hard to justify the limits of my ability to perform tasks that other can perform with ease to thier customers, clients and their overall bottom line.

Given this reasoning a framework of financial support among other area of support needed become apparent.

The argument is why should people pay for our support?

For example if the government did not exist tomorrow who would we rely on, what would we do?

As a society that cares for those who cannot for what ever reason care for them selves, what is the reasonable limit to this society's capacity to care and support and by what method do we distinguish who needs what help. 

For me I will work happily given the chance, but at what wage? 

The jobs offered are often low wage jobs on zero hour contracts, I find that the situation is one of disadvantage and perpetual poverty. 

All in all it comes down to natural selection, perhaps that's why we see such a high number of people with learning disabilities lock away in prisons. 

• To me the result of this is completely obvious.

• at least in this case the job centre could confirm what you where saying is true . People with autism are in a catch 22 whereby many cant work because of their disability and at same time are refused PIP   most of the time.

• At the job cente I was given a personal helper after my diagnosis. Prior to this I had gotten jobs myself. My helper would phone up companies and mention that she was acting on behalf of someone with a disability and the call would never go any further than this

• www.autism.org.uk/what-is-an-asd  

www.autism.org.uk/recruiting

Oops this is embarrassing !

those  last 2 links currently return 

Page not found - error 404 

I would be willing to test  your software for free  if I was given a beta/sandbox copy to test on.

• Hi ,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble finding a job. Unfortunately, we are not able to offer direct support to people who are searching for work. However, there are some other organisations who may be able to help:

The British Association of Supported Employment, who have a database of supported employment agencies, so you can search for one in your local area: www.base-uk.org

Remploy, an organisation which supports people with disabilities and those experiencing complex barriers to work, into mainstream employment: www.remploy.co.uk

https://myplusstudentsclub.com/ is also a good website to look at. It is a site on which employers advertise their opportunities for people with disabilities and they also provide information about disability and inclusive practices within their organisations. This is a good way to identify companies which will be keen to put in place reasonable adjustments for interviews and throughout employment.

I have also included a link to our job-page - http://www.autism.org.uk/get-involved/jobs.aspx. Within this page you can click on our job and volunteering page to find out about our current employment and volunteering opportunities with The National Autistic Society. We particularly welcome applications from those living with autism.

Volunteering can often be a good way to gain relevant experience and skills for future employment. Your local volunteer centre may be able to assist with finding a volunteer placement. You can search for volunteer placements on https://do-it.org/

Finally, if you are contacting employers directly and want to give employers information about autism (including Asperger syndrome) and reasonable adjustments, you could send links to fact sheets on our website - What is an ASD - www.autism.org.uk/what-is-an-asd and Recruiting Someone with an ASD - www.autism.org.uk/recruiting

I hope this helps!

ChloeMod