denied jobs because im autistic

I am constantly being denied jobs because im Autistic does this happen to anyone else

• Leah 

this may also interest you 

disboard.org/.../autism

• well idk if it's because i am autistic or just not good enough 

but I am sure that I will face a lot of those when I grow up 

• How did they find out?

• These people thrive on control you just need to work smart against them, apply for both types of jobs to keep them satisfied and if you have to attend an interview for something unsuitable then make it clear you wouldn't be very good

• where what company ?

• I have testing experience, from 21-22 years ago, then did a refresher course in testing in 2015.

I might consider returning to that field; if need be.

• Im on universal credit, got diagnosed few weeks ago and so told them. So far they have completely ignored the messages regarding it and have offered no support and have told me i would have to apply for any job despite explaining that phone calls, loud and busy places are a issue for me and that from my assessment they put how bad my social skills are. 

• which GCSE ? may I ask 

• I just hope that because of my autism it excludes me from applying for jobs which I couldn't deal with like customer service or answering phones

• If you think you are being discriminated against by reason of your autism, having declared it first, write to the employer asking for feedback on the interview.

The employer will be bound in law to reply, if they don't that can be used against them.  How you want to proceed depends on you and how much fight you have, but you can collect evidence and use it in a case at an employment tribunal.  Your CAB or trade union should be able to help.  Keep a copy of any letter you send or receive.

You are unlikely to be offered a job if you do this, but if you do not work for the company concerned you can still be awarded compensation.  Discrimination on grounds of disability is against the Equality Act 2010.  You should gather evidence that you are so disabled, and the definition of disabled is that you are unable to perform (some) everyday tasks that a non disabled person can do or that it affects your everyday life by not being able to do the things a non disabled person can do.  Medication you require to lead a 'normal' life is discarded so it should be taken as you would be without medication or appliance.

The employer is also unlikely to directly admit that you were refused the job because of your disability, and there is always a 'get out' that the discrimination is necessary because of some justifiable reason (for example you would not expect to get a job as a taxi driver if you are blind).  

This reply is meant to be information that there is a remedy in law for you provided there is the required evidence.  I canñot advise as to the probability of success.  If successful you could be awarded compensation which would include a deterrent element to prevent the employer doing the same again. There are also strict time limits to bring such action which are rarely waived (3months minus one day since the discrimination)

• Okay, I will look into this. 

I am studying to get the gcse I did not get in school hoping that with the qualification I can train as something and get a stable job. 

• you can be. i have a qualification "Foundation in testing" but i was testing years before i got it. I was trained in 4 weeks then  straight into a job. It was  a government unemployed ( non IT ) graduates scheme.

i think u have to be keen to do it. U have to be able to handle developers and pressure. It can be very boring one minute high pressure next week and you can be treated really badly at times.

I am a manual tester there are now automated testers who use code to test software. They are more in favour at the moment and paid way more. I am lucky I am relatively higly paid for a tester. Manual Testers salary  is 18k to 25k  automated 35k - 40k developers 40K- 55 K

• I worked in finance, but I was let go during the lockdown. 

Do you have to be certified to be a bug hunter or can anyone Learn relatively quickly?

I'm looking for work so I'm asking these types of questions to everyone at the moment. 

• software tester -  doing it right now  otherwise known as a "bug hunter"  

what do u do for a living ?

• Aidie what Is it you do for a living? 

• thanks K  that was nice/kind of you.

• I have removed as requested. Thumbsup

• k can u remove the -1 u put against my name please,,, in the autism or aspergers chat.  i would be ever so grateful.