Musical instruments

I am learning both the Guitar and Violin.  I started with the Guitar first and play the chords with a pick. More recently I started to read music and learn the guitar fingerstyle.

In the past two weeks I have started to learn the Violin. However, I have to wear ear plugs because of it is so loud and starts sensory problems.

Does anyone else do something similar?

• Wah! Western-style saloon music. Also caused by the piano ofcourse. Thanks!

• I think I'm also a frustrated drummer!  I love drumming.  It's a form of stimming for me, I think.  I'm always being told for tapping my fingers or drumming against something, which I quite often do when I'm either anxious or getting impatient.

I love stuff like this.  I find it hypnotic...

Techno street drummer

• Yesterday I turned to listening to you tube to lift my spirits, I went straight to the street performer playing the boogie  woogie,, it always lifts me, I watched a how to play it video,,, I may find the left hand once learnt just might let me produce something almost listenable?

it is repetitive and once learnt may just stick in my head, 

Boogie woogie my spirit lifter, there are many,, 

enjoy

https://youtu.be/h86nJUHrJ1E

• Well done to you for perseverance.

I own several accordions and melodeons.cannot play any of them, I have a friend at work who was self taught, can’t read music, spent all his adult life gigging and earning loads of money playing what he enjoyed. He played all of mine to show me they worked. Struggled with the melodeon Lol. Not his thing, the note held changes depending if bellows going in or out, it was a laugh watching him try, he laughed too, 

love the vibration from all reed instruments but the buzz is wonderfully comforting.

As a very young child I sat on the floor of our school hall and heard my first piano accordion, WOW blew my mind, similar with Larry Adler and his playing if the harmonica.. bliss.

• I've played percussion since I was 11.  I was always fine playing individual instruments (snare drum, timpani / tubular bells), but I find drum kit much harder to the point of being stressfull as I find the co-ordination difficult.  I do play kit but more as a series of separate instruments rather than as a whole.

When I was about 25 I started to learn melodeon (a diatonic accordion). I bought the model that all my friends seemed to love, but found I hated it - it really hurt my ears with so many over-tones on each note.  So I gave up after 3 weeks.  A few years later, I really, really needed to learn it, so tried out some different 'boxes' in a local shop which were more expensive but sounded so much better.  I bought one, along with a teach-yourself book, but the tunes I needed were not in the book, so I just taught myself by reading the dots. 

32 years later, I'm well known for my playing in my, admittedly niche, field.  And I still play percussion.

• I am a very frustrated wannabe musician. Have tried just about every instrument, I own so many,,, harmonica was strange as it allowed me to expresss myself more so, it has no chords or scales as such to learn. When I watch street performers on you tube I can become over whelmed by sheer intense feelings.. I hear the inner soul in the music they play, not just a tune.

I was taught to play happy birthday on an acoustic guitar when very young, I wanted to play it to my mum. I did but soon forgot all the chords.

I joined a brass band club, really excited in the first few classes, was learning how to read music, sadly that stalled, first the teacher got ill, then my elder brother decided it was boring so I couldn’t go the long distance on my own, cheers bro, he was a nasty piece of work, was my only real bully. 

Lack of memory ability stops me remembering the simplest of tunes, too many in succession.

Music has a deeply moving effect on my whole mind and my body... it can take me to every extreme in the blink of an eye. From laughing and joyful to crying my eyes out.

• I took up the piano when I was 19 - 40 years ago - and I'm still hopeless at it!  I could never play in public.  I understand some music theory and can read music, but I'm not great technically - even after years of practicing scales, arpeggios, etc.  I took lessons for a while in my 20s and got up to Grade 4.  I have an electronic piano at home, but haven't touched it in over 2 years now.  Maybe I'll give it another go some time.  I really used to enjoy it - learning new pieces.  But I have no real talent for it.  I tried the guitar for years, but struggled even more.

My niece's son, on the other hand (14), took up the guitar a year ago and is a 'natural'.  He can already play complex riffs and seems to know his way instinctively around the fretboard, and with fingering.

• Wow! I wish I could and was able to take up an instrument.

I admire you for taking up both instruments!

• I play violin (had lessons, got to grade 4 standard, just play for my own pleasure now). I am self taught flute and clarinet to a bearable to listen to standard and am teaching myself classical guitar very slowly! They are like intense interests that come and go, so I struggle to build up a good standard of playing before deciding I want to focus on something else entirely!

I had piano lessons as a child and can play simple stuff, but it's not my instrument of choice.

The violin isn't the most sensory kind instrument at first...I sometimes contemplate buying a cheap electric one for quieter playing, but not sure I could stand the drop in tone quality or having to get the feel of a new instrument. I find they all have what feel like personalities...violin bows too! You get to know your instruments like friends.

I would love to be able to play brass. My husband's trombone is currently defeating me. It may be because I am already more conditioned to playing woodwind.