Musical instruments

I am learning both the Guitar and Violin.  I started with the Guitar first and play the chords with a pick. More recently I started to read music and learn the guitar fingerstyle.

In the past two weeks I have started to learn the Violin. However, I have to wear ear plugs because of it is so loud and starts sensory problems.

Does anyone else do something similar?

Parents
  • I play violin (had lessons, got to grade 4 standard, just play for my own pleasure now). I am self taught flute and clarinet to a bearable to listen to standard and am teaching myself classical guitar very slowly! They are like intense interests that come and go, so I struggle to build up a good standard of playing before deciding I want to focus on something else entirely!

I had piano lessons as a child and can play simple stuff, but it's not my instrument of choice.

The violin isn't the most sensory kind instrument at first...I sometimes contemplate buying a cheap electric one for quieter playing, but not sure I could stand the drop in tone quality or having to get the feel of a new instrument. I find they all have what feel like personalities...violin bows too! You get to know your instruments like friends.

I would love to be able to play brass. My husband's trombone is currently defeating me. It may be because I am already more conditioned to playing woodwind.

• I play violin (had lessons, got to grade 4 standard, just play for my own pleasure now). I am self taught flute and clarinet to a bearable to listen to standard and am teaching myself classical guitar very slowly! They are like intense interests that come and go, so I struggle to build up a good standard of playing before deciding I want to focus on something else entirely!

I had piano lessons as a child and can play simple stuff, but it's not my instrument of choice.

The violin isn't the most sensory kind instrument at first...I sometimes contemplate buying a cheap electric one for quieter playing, but not sure I could stand the drop in tone quality or having to get the feel of a new instrument. I find they all have what feel like personalities...violin bows too! You get to know your instruments like friends.

I would love to be able to play brass. My husband's trombone is currently defeating me. It may be because I am already more conditioned to playing woodwind.

Children