Musical instruments

I am learning both the Guitar and Violin.  I started with the Guitar first and play the chords with a pick. More recently I started to read music and learn the guitar fingerstyle.

In the past two weeks I have started to learn the Violin. However, I have to wear ear plugs because of it is so loud and starts sensory problems.

Does anyone else do something similar?

Parents
  • I took up the piano when I was 19 - 40 years ago - and I'm still hopeless at it!  I could never play in public.  I understand some music theory and can read music, but I'm not great technically - even after years of practicing scales, arpeggios, etc.  I took lessons for a while in my 20s and got up to Grade 4.  I have an electronic piano at home, but haven't touched it in over 2 years now.  Maybe I'll give it another go some time.  I really used to enjoy it - learning new pieces.  But I have no real talent for it.  I tried the guitar for years, but struggled even more.

My niece's son, on the other hand (14), took up the guitar a year ago and is a 'natural'.  He can already play complex riffs and seems to know his way instinctively around the fretboard, and with fingering.

• I think I'm also a frustrated drummer!  I love drumming.  It's a form of stimming for me, I think.  I'm always being told for tapping my fingers or drumming against something, which I quite often do when I'm either anxious or getting impatient.

I love stuff like this.  I find it hypnotic...

Techno street drummer

Reply Children