GCSE Product Design, Ideas to help people with Autism and Aspergers

Hello All!

My name is George, and I am a year 11 product design student . I have been given a mission to help people with a disability by making a product that would help people with that disability. I have chosen autism as I actually have hfa myself but everyone is different! So if you have any product suggestions then please comment!

Thank You Very Much!

• I wish you well with your project.

I hope it is a seamless one and that it doesn’t throw up to many difficulties.

It is a very good idea, could the light be made to assist in those who suffer from SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder.Just a suggestion and possibly to late to add to an already ongoing design prototype.

Good luck.

• Hello!

I thank you for your ideas, however we have now started prototyping and need to get everything done this side of Christmas!

Thanks once again!!

• Hello!

I can personally 100% guarantee that no parrafin containing substances will be used in the design. As for quality check, we personally prototype up to 25 times before the main product 

• How about a stimming device - something you can hold that vibrates with different patterns and has a variable texture where the surfaces change from smooth to spikey or hot & cold - that makes gentle noises like a purring cat? A grid array of mini actuators drumming against a silicone surface with a heating pad or Peltier device - with an Arduino or similar driving it. It could be nice to hold or lean against. Could even pump warmed/cooled water through the pad. Air bubbles in the pumped water could add a random element. Water also transmits vibrations/music easily so there's ways to simplify the design.

• Hello!

An Autism freindly alarm is in essence like a sensory lamp, but a lot more technical. It has many functions

There is no scientific research to prove that relaxing sounds helps sleep, however insaying that they can be considered as part of the ASMR group and from client interviews that I have taken from others, most of them found that relaxing sounds make them feel tired.

Everything Will be COMPLETELY  battery powered, so no worries about mains electricity. Mains electricity is not discouraged or even talked about at my school. The most we have relating to product safety is the S in ACCESS FM/ AM

In regards to the mister, a key is required to access the of the device. Plus, even if tipped, the only thing that will come out is cold oil 

Hope this Helps!

• Hello!

We have a variety of CAD, both2d and 3D on tap for tgis project. In regard to manufacturing, we have 3D printers and laser cutters. We need to create several non functioning aesthetic only prototypes, followed by actual working ones.

Hope this helps!

• Good luck with your project - What do you need to produce/deliver? A detailed idea or a fully functioning prototype? What skills do you have to put things toegether? What access to prototyping technology is available to you? 3D printer? Electronics construction? Programming skills? Raspberry Pi or Arduino?

It's a bit nebulous until we have some idea of the criteria.

• Might a malfunctioning oil mister next to the other electronics (or an autistic user spilling the oil whilst trying to refill the device) constitute a fire risk?

I remember from my GCSE days (about 30 years ago) that mains voltages are usually forbidden / dissuaded in school projects. How did you intend to power the thing?

• Do the sounds of the ocean help autistic people to sleep? How do you know this to be true?

• What is an Autism-Friendly Alarm, and how does it differ from an ordinary alarm?

• Hello all!

Thank you all for your replies. It means the world to have others suggestions.

I have spent a long time thinking about it and I have liased with my design tutor, and we have both come to the conclusion that the best thing for me to pursue would be a mood light with 4 functions:

An Essential Oil Mister

Colour Changing Lights

Date And Time Display With Autism Freindly Alarm

A Speaker that plays relaxing ocean sounds to aid sleep

Thank you all once again!

• What a brilliant project and well done for taking it on! Do you need to think of something original or can you adapt an existing product?

• A non-alcoholic drink that causes erectile dysfunction. There may be a market for that. It might be the next non-alcoholic beer.

• Hi George,

Good luck with the project. Noise is a major issue for me so my suggestion is something to do with soundproofing, such as noise cancelling headphones. Personally I prefer products that are also seen as mainstream rather than disability specific. For example, I currently have a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones although I'd prefer the level of sound proofing to be greater.