On a bad day - what do you turn to for comfort?

We all have really bad days and when I do I often feel I’m floundering and don’t know where to turn to find some comfort and make the world feel like a less completely hostile place. What strategies do you use on those days when everything feels completely overwhelming and bleak and you’re feeling hopeless about life? What helps?

• You never know, you might just not have found the kind of game that works for you. There are as many genres of video games as movies or books. But I guess if I didn't care for games I would try to do the same with whatever hobby I had that involves actively doing something; anything passive like reading or listening to music leaves too much of a gap for those thoughts to overwhelm me. 

It's great that you can keep that certainty that things will be okay. When things are bad I don't see them ever really getting better, and I'm terrified of how much worse it can get. 

• About a year ago I tried video games but somehow I just couldn’t connect with them or enjoy them. My eldest really does and gets so much pleasure and interest from them - which is great. He finds they help a lot when he’s stressed - he gets in the zone and forgets other things that he might be struggling with. In terms of ‘a bearable way out’ - I’ve never come up with one of those. I don’t think there is one. The only viable thing is to try and make life more bearable, or (best case scenario) more enjoyable. My problem is that when I get into this ‘tunnel’ state of mind I can’t seem to see out of it. I know it WILL ease - it always does eventually - but it’s hard to FEEL that it’s going to. I want to stop feeling like this but I get into a kind of inertia where I can’t help myself. Eg I know music improves mood but I can’t bear to listen to it. I suppose it’s a bit of a vicious circle in some ways. I’m always eager though to learn about what helps other people - and people in this community really do understand. I feel people with autism often have to work really hard to keep going with life sometimes. It can be a battle. 

• All my vices are damaging and/or illegal so I'll resist commenting!

• Thank you - these are all good ideas and good to be reminded of. I’m glad you’ve found good strategies that work for you. 

• Surely.....EVERYONE lives YouTube?

• I just try to bury myself in a video game and hope it goes away eventually. Interspersed with trying to think of a bearable way out. 

• I will go out with my camera and get lost amongst nature for an hour or more. If I still feel awful after that I'll have a bubble bath and sing along to some of my favourite songs while reminding myself that this is just a bad day, not a bad life and tomorrow will hopefully be better. I do also write down my thoughts and feelings in the form of poetry which sometimes helps. 

• Yes. My body wants to shut down and not move so probably doing the opposite (moving about and being active) would probably be helpful. The problem is that I struggle to find the motivation when I get like this. I sort of ‘freeze’. 

• I love audiobooks too. I sometimes feel the urge to be alone when I’m struggling but deep down I don’t think it really helps me. I sort of retreat into a mental black space and find it hard to get out, and hard to connect with my husband - even though we normally are so so close. I withdraw from everything and find it hard to move or do anything. 

• Forward motion.  Driving, walking, cycling, motorised transport of any description.  It seems to get my brain constructively moving too?!

• Watching things that "take me back" on youtube.

• I disappear into an audiobook and listen with noise cancelling earphones, I also need to be alone when I’m struggling.

• Yeah I enjoy outdoor swimming as well although this tends to have a social element due to safety which sometimes I find overwhelming. 

• That’s interesting. I’ve also heard people talking a lot recently about cold showers and cold water baths and the the way it impacts on depression etc. 
    Food wise I tend to turn to pasta meals, or toast with a lot of butter. Comfort food certainly. 

• These are all very helpful ideas. Thank you 

• Water. 

swimming, long showers, walks in the rain. 

I also eat a lot of sesame bagels. 

• Order.

I would generally have a bad day when I am feeling overwhelmed.

I don't these days feel 'bleak and hopeless about life' though, and I'm sorry that you do.

My thing would be to sort things out (objects I mean), make lists, get everything under control.

I find having order in things be they physical or not, is very calming for me.

If it's not to do with feeling overwhelmed though, I would go out of the house and drive somewhere using the quietest route possible - into the countryside.

Solitude is also very important for me to re-order my thoughts and regain my inner calm.

Another thing to do is something creative - photography, making something, whatever.

You can lose yourself in art/creativity.

• I don’t doubt that - sadly I don’t have a pet for various reasons. I’m sure it must make such a difference. I’m glad you get comfort from being around animals :)