Hi All & fellow Night Owls!

Hey y'all! o/

A bit out of practice talking to peeps like this... here goes!
I love gaming; keeps me sain, is my refuge, calms me & the thoughts whizzing around my head. Helps get me through my day, focus; one of my coping mechanisms.
I enjoy quite a range of games especially crafting survival & love lifelike graphics.
I find it easier to chat online. I can take my time & choose if & when I want to respond.

I also love to craft & design. I am currently working on a fine Fair Isle jumper which I am half way through.

I love music, a wide range, some of my fav kinds are rock. indie, psychedelic etc. Some fav bands are Soundgarden, Nebula, Pearl Jam, love Chris Cornell; his voice is haunting & beautiful. Also The Verve, Coldplay, 60's, 70's. Love the old stuff!

I have one cat & one doggo. They are amazing companions & I'm not sure what I'd do without them. Especially as I spend the majority of my time on my own. I go for days at a time without speaking to a soul. It is lonely, but I have been happier living alone for the past 8 yrs after an abusive relationship. It has helped me find myself & contentment. I am not counting out a new relationship as I crave the intimacy that one brings. But after being alone for so long & am coming to terms with being alone.

I came here because I want to learn more & to chat with peeps like myself. Find out how others cope. I feel I've been living in my cocoon too long. To find more purpose to my life. 

• Wow, I'm sure your brother-in-law will cherish that jumper for the rest of his life! What an amazing and thoughtful person you are. 

Yeah I'm having a lot of fun on the guitar. I see minor improvements every day, so hopefully I'll be able to play songs eventually, but I'm not too worried about that just yet.

It's cool that you can play the drums. I'm sure it is difficult to coordinate everything you must do for it, but it's an amazing instrument as well. 

Creativity leads into all kinds of interesting venues, and it's fun to try and explore them all! 

• Hey Hullabaloo
    Hey yeah, I'll take a pic once I'm done. I've not used the stepping method before so wanted to have a go!
    I bought wool from once of the islands north from me which is specifically for this kind of work & it's so beautiful. The colours are wonderful!

I've just finished a jumper for my brother-in-law in which I tried to duplicate the stripy jumper Mick Aston the Archaeologist used to wear. He was one of his heroes.

Have fun learning the guitar. I used to play drums & found it very therapeutic after a long day at work Slight smile

• Fair isle knitting is so neat. It would be great to see your jumper once it's finished. I knitted a lot in the previous year. I gave a few people cable knitted hats and scarves. But when spring started to roll around, I put the knitting stuff away. I also enjoy weaving because of the interesting patterns it creates as well. 

I enjoy playing games too, and my laptop that was meant to be for study, is now filled with games on it. I even found a pc controller that works on my laptop.

I recently got into playing guitar about two weeks ago. I'm just practicing the basic chords and learning some basic music theory on my own. Since there's a steep learning curve, I'm just getting the fundamentals down, and trying to keep my spirits up. 

Anyways, the morse code name you have is pretty neat. The tap code is pretty neat too. I also tried using an keyboard that would type letters by using different combos of finger tapping, but it quickly lead to fatigue, so even though it was cool looking, it was tiring and caused my hand to get sore.. Another code I learned was braille, which I eventually got certified for.

Having pets is awesome. Maybe your alone time creates more opportunities for you to focus on yourself, and the this you enjoy.

• I gave it 10 minutes before going “nope, I ain’t falling asleep” lol. I’ve not had the best of days tbf so it’s probably because I have some things playing on my mind. I’m sure I’ll zonk out at some point… well hopefully! Also I got a rather heavy cat of mine sleeping on my chest and snoring, and that’s certainly not helping lol, but she’s too cute to move.

The audio books are a good idea, it does have that effect. I’ve tried relaxation audio apps before and I just end up laughing, I can’t take them seriously .. but if it’s a podcast about anything other than relaxation I end up falling asleep after half hour lol. 

I’m curious to know what your morse code username spells out? I never paid attention in scouts when they taught it lol.

• Are you actually trying to go to sleep? 

I tend not to bother, but go to bed when I'm tired enough. The I put on an audio book. My head never wants to switch off but the sound of someone talking seems to make me relax, focus on the voice & fall asleep.
    .... Or it could be just boredom as I am still on the first chapter lol! Stuck out tongueI have to keep rewinding every night as I fall asleep & never hear the actual story. It's like a light switch for me now. It's a technique I've been using for a while now.

• Nor me! We shall be Night Owls together Smiley

• Can’t switch off tonight Disappointed

• I've tried explaining it to my therapist but she doesn't really get it

It may be worth considering hypnosis to see if this can get you to explain it to your therapist as we often find our subconcious brains will stop us talking about something that we may be terrified of (eg do you fear that you may never wake up, fear you will be vulnerable to attack when asleep etc).

You could also try working in keeping a dream journal by writing down what you can recall of your dreams as soon as you wake (they fade in seconds sometimes so best to catch them as soon as your eyes open). This will help dispel the myth that the lights are off when sleeping - they are just on in a different place.

I tend to think of it as a way for the brain to process all the stuff from my day - clear down the cache of thoughts and think through some challenges subconciously so I can revisit the challenge from a fresh perspective the next day.

Developing ways to calm your mind before sleep is a great way to switch it off - there are ways to focus on your body and work from the toes upwards, forcing the muscles to relax while thinking of yourself in a comfortable, pleasant location. By the time you have done this a few times you will probably be able to fall asleep by the time you pass the stomach muscles and with practice can switch off in seconds (an ability that used to annoy my wife who never could do it).

• I didn't realise people stayed online at night to. Know where I'll be tonight lol! For whatever reason I struggle with sleeping, I either can't get off to sleep or I keep waking up through the night... really irritating and then I still get up at the ungodly hour of 5AM! 

And got school to endure later on.

I like night time though. The world is so peaceful and quiet, hardly any sounds other than night life. Where i live I hear sheep at night and there's a local owl hooting somewhere. 

Sleep causes me a lot of anxiety not sure why but the idea of falling and being asleep frightens the life out of me. 

I think because sleeping is almost like being dead in a way, not really being aware of anything, no feeling persey, just like switching on a light....awake and asleep, on off. 

I've tried explaining it to my therapist but she doesn't really get it maybe I don't explain it properly. Could just be an autism thing. I don't require much sleep luckily but a decent night's sleep would be nice. 
  • Worried about Hope, as she still hasn't come back in; yet.

Resiliant creatures cats.

I had one that dissapeared for 2 weeks and then turned up as if nothing had happened. I'm convinced he found a neighbour that was willing to give him treats and it was only when they got too clingy that he came back.

I've got the advantage of time zones here - when it is midnight in the UK it is only 8pm here

• I'm up later, than normal. Worried about Hope, as she still hasn't come back in; yet.

However, I'm relieved that my car got through the MOT today.

I used to be a night owl, until Lockdown. Then I couldn't hack late nights, like I used to.

• I love to be alone too. I enjoy sci fi and the arts. Currently I am trying on the writers life. I have some coping strategies, picked up over the years and some areas where I am still clueless, like everyone I suppose.

• Used to play angry birds and candy crush. Ill have a look on playstore for games.

• I've played Theme Hospital, lol, that was a funny game :D

I'm actually play Elder Scrolls Online just now & I've just started with Enshrouded.

Do you play any other games online?

• Used to play sim town and theme hospital. 

• I created a beaded bracelet for my neighbour's birthday recently. I love to design stuff & am currently working on a Fair Isle jumper. have also recently finished a crochet throw.

I also love games in which you can create cool structure & buildings

• What craft and design you do? I make cards and recently a bracelet. Trying to take up origami again. 

• Sounds wonderful Zengarden. 

It is a shame there is nothing near me at all. I would love to join a group & meet other peeps like us :)

• Good afternoon 

Welcome to the forum

40 year old female from UK 

I'm involved in voluntary work with Estuary Ladies, where women of all ages come together to learn new skills and socialize.

I enjoy arts and crafts, photography, reading, word puzzle bookscolouringng, and listening to music on the BBC Sounds app.

Feel free to connect if we share common interests!