1950s / 60s / 70s Era

Hi everyone Relaxed 

I'm new here so just wanted to say hi and hopefully make some new friends with similar interests.

Although I'm in my early 30s, I've always had a bit of an obsession over the 1950s, 60s and 70s era's from music, fashion/ vintage clothing, sewing patterns, crochet patterns/books, hairstyles and of course the VW Campervan and Beetle.

Does anyone else like these era's?

Share your experiences, hobbies and interests or what songs you like from the 50s, 60s or 70s. I would love to hear them Blush

• The layout of your home sounds beautiful. I agree as architecture and artistic creativity of past era's unfortunately has mostly been lost in today's era. In my opinion nowadays it seems to be more centered around 'how can we copy things from the past and remake it really really badly' whether that's remixing  songs, recreating fashion/ vehicles etc

• Thank you for this post Rubix, I am really excited to answer it as the 60s and 70s is one of my special interests and safe places that I retreat to when the modern world gets overwhelming.

I love 60s and 70s TV and films, the list is endless but to narrow it down I suppose my favourite things to watch are The Good Life, The Likley Lads, Carry On movies, Man about the House, the Persuaders, On the Buses and Roger Moore as James Bond

I love the music too. David Bowie is my favourite musician of all time, especially the Ziggy Stardust album. I also love The Sweet, Mott the Hoople, Manfed Mann, Herman's Hermits and so many others. What are your favourites? 

You mentioned vintage clothes, have you been able to find many original pieces? Camden market used to be good for that but not so much now. I have an original check shirt from the 70s with the big collar and a retro remake of a 1970s football jacket 

• Evening Roy - that looks lovely and very satisfying.  May I ask (no need to answer obs) did you decide to relocate?  I believe it was on the cards for a while at the end of last year?  I am interested and remember peoples "big" decisions.....it remains on my mind, because I have a curious mind !

• I prefer older houses too, they have more charachter. Our house was built for soldiers returning from World War 2 and it still has quite an old fashioned feel to it

• blind concessions to modernity for the sake of it.

Very nicely put......and I think this extends to matters beyond Architecture too....in fact, to almost all areas of consumerism.  I am amazed that more people don't manage to find the perfect "thing" already manufactured and available to buy and then use it until it finally breaks "for good" = my modus operandi.

• My soul will forever be in the 80s, but of course that means nostalgia for a lot of the 70s things still making up some of the lingering ‘hangover’ aesthetics of the time. The cars, furnishings, favourite old coats, carpets  tellies, wallclocks etc. of the previous decade and more didn’t suddenly vanish overnight because the calendar flipped over to 1980. So that overlap is a rather nostalgic thing for me.

My house (a forever home I hope) that I bought in 2021 was built in 1965 and as far as I can tell is the only one in the street that internally is much as it was. I intend to keep it that way, as some of its very soul seems to lie in those slightly dated (ie. Not made clinical via knock throughs) bits of internal architecture like the sky-lighted bit of internal wall that separates my tiny but perfect kitchen from my generously proportioned lounge. I think those original architects really knew what they were doing, and the ‘upgrades’ elsewhere in the street are blind concessions to modernity for the sake of it. But each to their own…

• The Land Rovers are beautiful. Does your Land Rover have a soft top?

• Wow what an awesome job to have and I can definitely see why you love it so much. Yes the VW campers are worth alot of money especially when restored to their original beauty. I've got to say though, I don't know what VW were thinking when they released the new electric campervan. In my opinion they have completely destroyed it.

Agreed! People used to dress so smart and the creativity was amazing.

• I’ve got a 1965 series 2A  military in at the moment, it was in a poor state and had normal farmer repairs. It’s starting to take shape.

• The Mini Moke looks a fun Summer vehicle. I have been to Portmerion twice and  recommend a visit as it is fun seeing where the cameras must have been placed and seeing the Prisoners home, now a shop. I also went to London to see the locations used in the opening credits. 

• My parents owned a Mini Moke when I was a teenager. I drove my dad about 150 miles to buy it in a January, he drove it home and was practically frozen when he got home. I’ve always wanted to go to Portmeirion, I’m not a number, I’m a free man!

• Hello,

I love the music and films and vehicles from these years. I am the proud owner of a 1976 Land Rover which is my daily transport. I was also born in the 70's. The Prisoner is the best TV series ever made in my humble opinion. I would love to own a Series three Lotus Seven as driven by the Prisoner.

• I remember whenever those shows were shown on Saturday afternoons, on ITV, just before the football results.

We didn't realise we were living, back then. 

• I like the popular culture of the 60s and 70s, particularly music and TV.

• Hi, I restore cars for a living, the Beetle belongs to a customer. It’s autistic heaven, I’m on my own all day and get to hyper fixate on detail and research. I did a VW camper about 5 years ago, they seem to attract serious money now. Always think people dressed really smartly in the 60,s. I watch a lot of 70’s and 80’s tv programs.

• Haha yes I completely agree that there are too many great songs to mention from the 1960s. Talking pictures is a great channel I usually watch Laurel and Hardy on that channel. The Avengers 60s tv series is great i think its also on Prime TV. I also love George and Mildred, On the Buses, Carry On Screaming to name a small few. I haven't heard of The Saint shows I will check it out if I can find it Blush

• Roy! Thank you for the warm welcome. That's really cool that you are restoring a VW Beetle. Are you planning to keep it when you've finished restoring it or are you planning to sell it?

• I like pop and rock music from the 1960s (too many songs to mention).  I also like a lot of 1960s films and television (The Saint, The Avengers etc).  Some of these 1960s tv programmes are shown on tv channels such as Talking Pictures television.