1950s / 60s / 70s Era

Hi everyone Relaxed 

I'm new here so just wanted to say hi and hopefully make some new friends with similar interests.

Although I'm in my early 30s, I've always had a bit of an obsession over the 1950s, 60s and 70s era's from music, fashion/ vintage clothing, sewing patterns, crochet patterns/books, hairstyles and of course the VW Campervan and Beetle.

Does anyone else like these era's?

Share your experiences, hobbies and interests or what songs you like from the 50s, 60s or 70s. I would love to hear them Blush

• I wish I could share my own pics

But I don't think I'm aloud to Disappointed

• I've got to be honest the most interesting thing to me about the 60s/70s is all that free love / summer of love stuff. Ironic since I'm very anti drugs but who doesn't love a good party. If I'd been cooler and a bit older in the 80/90s I might have been a raver. I'm sure there probably some weird radical counter culture going on right now that I'll look back on in 10 years time and say why wasn't I there ... Of course thats the reality. You never know the right people etc.

• Those pics are lovely Heart

• Although I share no nostalgia for past decades (that I have lived through), preferring the present, I thought I'd share some family photos from the 1950s and 1960s.

Life was tough in the past, for both sexes, but it was hard for women to work because of the expectations of society but also because domestic tasks were such hard work and took up such time.

Women were expected to marry and raise a family even if they didn't want to (which was true of my mother).

The 1970s continued the work that the pill began in the 1960s, liberating women including by domestic applicances, but in a miriad other ways.

My mum with my sister in the 50s:

My mum with my sister and me in the late 1960s (I am the littlest one).

• I prefer quantum entanglement. 

• I agree. We could have a more just society like that again,  Unfortunately people have to vote for it first.  Ironically if we get back to that place it will be mainly (but not exclusively) the younger generation in the country that will bring it back to bear.

• Ahh.....you curious humanoid.....maybe we came on the same mothership....just in different waves.  Or.  We came on the same mothership in the same wave, but within slightly off-set dimensions (due to red shift.) Think the opening titles to "His Dark Materials." Or.  We just hold similar views on certain aspects of our current realities.

I prefer the intergalactic explanations personally.

Yours,

Meta Number.

• You know I'm really surprised you've said that!

• Audrey Hepburn and Diana Dors, they pretty well sum up the 60’s. The shear glamour.

• Gosh.....I feel the exact same way....who would have expected that?!

• We were! On reflection i realised how important authenticity is to me and I had problems with people who picked up on "vintage" as a trend like anything else (and to make money from) rather than just enjoying things for what they were and the visual aesthetic appeal. The words shabby chic bring me out in a rash. I had a friend who used to "upcycle" furniture with emulsion paint (ie, ruin it).

• In the 1945-1979,both Labour and Conservative governments had policies aimed at keeping unemployment relatively low, which in my opinion was a good thing.  In the 1980s until the mid 1990s unemployment was much higher, bad news for people (particularly people on the spectrum) looking for a job.

• A lot of new houses nowadays have tiny rooms and garages which are small, sometimes difficult to put a normal car into the garage and then exit the car.

• Omg that is amazing that you tried to live a similar lifestyle to The Good Life. My plan is to be more sustainable in the next few years, growing veg, sewing/ upcycling and crocheting more of my own clothes and hopefully sell some of my creations so I can get out of the rat race. If regulations were simpler I would definitely love to restore and travel around in a VW camper or live on a barge for a while. 

Ziggy Stardust is amazing. I think my favourite is still Starman. Haha I was listening to The Kinks -  Come Dancing today so great choice! Lola and Sunny Afternoon always make me smile.

I'm planning to visit Carnaby Street in the summer as I've never been so I was hoping you could tell me what it's like haha

• Shardovan I agree that there is something good in every decade. I do prefer the more recent ones since it relaunched in 2005 and I enjoyed some of the new story lines explored by the 1st female doctor Jodie Whittaker. However, it took me a while to get used to someone else playing a new doctor but that's probably because I'm not always a huge fan of change.In my opinion when Peter Capaldi played the doctor he bought a sense of the original vibe from the 1960's/ 70s.

• I kind of feel the same as you. Because I wasnt actually alive in the 60s and 70s I can enjoy all the good things of the era to my hearts content without having to deal with any of the things that might have been worse back then. Its quite nice 

I like the colour pallette too, it appeals to me because it is quite neutral without being boring, I like all the browns and pale colours 

• The 60s is my fave 

I like how care free the music was

And I love the hair style look at these

My mum says she will help me style my hair 60s soon :o) 

• We were a victim of our own success.

• ...and some of the worst too of course. Which is so subjective anyway. And all part of the fun of fandom. Defending the unjustly maligned and tearing down sacred cows. And that being no more valid than person with the completely reverse take.