Why is finding healthy food so complicated

I have to be honest, I don’t know very much about what is healthy and nutritious for you, I grew up on sugary breakfast cereal, instant soup cans, and frozen pizza for most of my childhood. Now I’m a teen just trying to improve her health but there’s so much conflicting information out there. I thought I was being healthier by making coffee at home and using sugar free syrups in it instead of going to Starbucks every morning and starting my day with 300 liquid calories, but now I’m hearing that what I’m doing is apparently worse? And I thought buying the banza Mac and cheese boxes and pairing it with some broccoli was better than my usual Kraft Mac and cheese box but now I’m being told it’s not? And I thought eating a bunch of fruits and vegetables throughout the day surely would be healthy right??? But every one just says “too many carbs and sugars.” It just seems like every food I find that I think is healthy is apparently not, what am I supposed to eat??? It’s like there’s something wrong with every food on earth! I don’t know what to do, I just wanted to be healthier :(

• As someone who almost lost their life to an eating disorder, no food is more healthy than a healthy relationship with food. All foods are ‘healthy’ in moderation. Ten chocolate bars isn’t healthy but neither is ten avocados.  :)

• I don’t think it’s that complicated really. Essentially if you avoid highly processed foods that’s a good idea. Stick to food that hasn’t been too messed about with. So: all vegetables are a good thing (potatoes in moderation however). Fish is very healthy, and unprocessed meat in moderation too (about 3 times a week). Fruit is fine - but not too much fruit juice as it doesn’t have the fibre that the actual fruit has. Don’t have too much caffeine, and cut sugar intake right down. Avoid artificial sweeteners. Don’t overdo it on wheat products like bread and pasta (unless you are trying to gain weight). Oats are great (eg porridge for breakfast with berries and honey). Dairy products are good in moderation too, cheese, and eggs. Live yoghurt and Kefir are great too. That’s about it really! 

• I look for things that don’t have Aspartame, I settle for things with sucralose, and I lunge for things with stevia.. but that’s just me..

• Hey there, don't worry. You're not alone in this healthy food maze! It can be super confusing with all the conflicting info out there. The key is balance, don't stress yourself out. Incorporate a mix of fresh fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and yes, you can enjoy some treats too! I totally get the time crunch. Cooking can be a hassle, but I stumbled upon [link removed by moderator] and it's a game-changer! It helps me whip up nutritious meals in a flash. No more sacrificing health for convenience! Remember, progress takes time, so be patient with yourself.

• Keep it simple would be my advice.  The less ingredients in a product then the better it will be for you. Fruit, veg, grains, meat, fish, eggs, nuts, seed all have no ingredients so that is a good starting point.  There are so many different theories and my autistic brain likes to explore and try them all. Food has always been my THING.  However I always come back to what I like and what works best for my body and my budget. Low in fat and sugar is also sensible advice but doesn’t mean you can’t have any. Some of the strongest people in the world have existed on high carb diets so if carbs suit you then go for it. I know whole grains are better than white but personally I find that whole grains trigger my IBS so I stick to the white stuff. You have to do what’s best for you and just try and keep the basics as healthy as possible and indulge in a treat from time to time. I eat a lot of veg everyday but I love crisps so make an allowance for them a couple of times a week.   Hope you figure it out, try not to let it spoil things for you. Use your body and brain as a gauge.  Happy hunting.

• aye the sugars in fruit is a better natural healthy sugar or something and causes no harm.... but apparently if you blend the fruit it gets rid of the vitamins and fiber and makes it pretty much just all sugar or something so blending fruit is probably bad.

• its not that hard really.

beans are super healthy and count as a super food, any meat at all holds the most nutrition minerals and vitamins you can get in food as any meat is super healthy and a super food.

chips believe it or not are healthy, as potato is one of our main dietry sources of pottasium which is needed for your heart to be healthy. chocolate too is healthy lol alot of things the media would have you believe is unhealthy, the media is lying to sell faddy diets...

• The food industry is complex and often prioritizes profits over health. Many processed and packaged foods are loaded with additives, preservatives, and added sugars that make them less healthy. Additionally, there is often confusion around what constitutes a healthy diet, as nutrition research can be contradictory and the media can sensationalize certain findings. However, with some effort, it is possible to find healthy food options, for example bulk coconut milk powder. Another option is to focus on whole, unprocessed foods such as fruits, vegetables, powder, whole grains, and lean proteins. 

• To begin with, I want to advise you to eat fruit only in the morning. It is important since fruits greatly increase stomach acidity and produce strong bloating. Before going to bed, such symptoms greatly affect sleep quality and make it almost meaningless. I also advise you to find recipes for interesting dishes suitable for those who eat right. The diet should not consist only of steamed, boiled broccoli so that you do not stop wanting to eat right and healthy. I can advise you site [link removed by moderator] , there are a lot of cool recipes that are easy to cook. I often take ideas from there for my lunch or dinner.

• Hi! I'm training to be a Nutritionist and you're right, there is a lot of conflicting information out there and not all of it is reliable. I would really recommend keeping things simple and just taking small steps in the right direction. This is exactly what you started to do and I congratulate you for that!

Please don't let anyone tell you fruit and veg isn't good for you :) A simple and good rule of thumb is just introducing more natural foods to what you're having, exactly like you did with the broccoli. So add some veg or salad with your Mac, add some berries with your breakfast, drink some water before your coffee. Maybe swap the Mac once in a while for some whole grains - like brown rice, quinoa, barley, cous cous, try a couple of things and see what you like. But I find it much easier and better to add healthy foods in and gradually increase them rather than worrying about what you "shouldn't" have. You really don't need to worry about the carbs and sugars in fruit and veg. 

• Hi! I'm training to be a Nutritionist and you're right, there is a lot of conflicting information out there and not all of it is reliable. I would really recommend keeping things simple and just taking small steps in the right direction. This is exactly what you started to do and I congratulate you for that!

Please don't let anyone tell you fruit and veg isn't good for you :) A simple and good rule of thumb is just introducing more natural foods to what you're having, exactly like you did with the broccoli. So add some veg or salad with your Mac, add some berries with your breakfast, drink some water before your coffee. Maybe swap the Mac once in a while for some whole grains - like brown rice, quinoa, barley, cous cous, try a couple of things and see what you like. But I find it much easier and better to add healthy foods in and gradually increase them rather than worrying about what you "shouldn't" have. You really don't need to worry about the carbs and sugars in fruit and veg. 

• Also you can make potatoes in the microwave in less than 10 minutes... just stab them a few times with a knife though so they don't explode, put them in a bowl and microwave until soft. 

• Hi :) I think it's more the overall diet that is healthy rather than an individual food. I think a good guide is to try and have some protein, carbs (best whole grain) and vegetables with every meal- if it has to be quick I find eggs are an absolute lifesaver- pair them with some bread/toast (maybe whole grain) and maybe some veggies with it (carrots are great- you can just eat them raw) and you have a healthy meal ready :). In the UK there are also a lot of healthy convenience options you can get- I find wraps or pitas (could be wholegrain if you wanted) great too- you can buy some ready cooked chicken pieces or prawns or any protein you like to put in them, then add veggies of choice (salad, carrot, peppers, cucumber, spinach leaves or tomatoes- raw or cooked) and maybe some avocado or yoghurt or any sauce you like to give it some taste - it's super convenient. If you like pizza you could also get some ready pizza bases and top them yourself to make it healthier- or even pitas or toast can be baked in the oven with some toppings for a quick fix. Also a rice cooker can be great if you like rice- you can pair rice with a stirfry or make egg fried rice- those are all things that take very little time. Not sure if any of these give you some ideas- I like everything that can be made in under 10 min ideally with as little washing up as possible ... 

• excellent advivce

I would add:

avoid ready meals, or frozen ready meals, they have to many preservatives

I never had those plant based burgers, or normal burgers, I make them myself, I've got meat grinder

I allow myself to eat frozen pizza once a month, and ready tortellinis, 

begin learning how to cook, it's super easy making easy to make dinners,

I switched to roasting from frying, you use less oil

I switched to steaming from boiling, veggies tastes 1000x better, unless you steam them for to long, 

my favourite drink: water with squeezed in lemon juice

• First of all, diet and nutrition are about finding what right for YOU. Look into your genetics and even the science behind eating for blood type groups. Not everyone is nourished the same. 

I agree with moderation and not bothering with calories. Eating smaller portions more often is good if you have to mind blood sugar levels. So a handful of almonds or trail mix are quite good. 

A little real sugar and salt are important for hydration. The body doesn't assimilate chemically designed sweetness or artificial anything into a purposeful use. Hydration is the first key to staying healthy. And that means a balanced intake of minerals including salt. I put a bit of honey in tea or maple syrup in coffee instead of refined sugar, but remember, sugar cane grows out of the ground. it's a plant. The body converts most things to sugar.

I don't think it's wise to forgo fish, eggs, or meat, but we don't need it for every meal. However, you cannot get certain vitamins from 'substitutions'. Listen to your body. Sometimes if you crave sour patch gummies, it might actually mean your body wants citrus. Or if you crave chocolate, first try really dark chocolate. You might be craving iron which can be found in red meat. 

Be cautious with sugar-free anything. It might mean chemically made sweeteners. 100% Juice is packed with vitamins. Stick with natural ingredients first. Try all kinds of veg, fruit, grains (if you can) and other things. A little diary can be healthy. If you allow yourself to try a lot of different foods, you may find ones which are useful to your body. And there's nothing wrong with making coffee at home, I do it almost every morning. Add maple syrup. :) 

• I think everything in moderation is a good place to start. Counting calories and carbs etc over complicates things in my opinion.a

Meat or fish with some carbs and veg or salad is an ideal dinner.

If you fancied a burger, try opting for a plant based one. They often taste the same,  but are full of protein, and cook quickly. 

Lunch could be a sandwich with piece of fruit and a yoghurt for example. A tin of soup is absolutely fine if it isn’t every day.

Breakfast could be a tea/coffee and breakfast bar, or toast, or a bagel, or cereal, or porridge? Even yogurt and a bit of fruit. 

Try and eat at least 5 servings of fruit and veg per day. It isn’t always possible, but if you choose fruit for your snacks that’s a good start. 
    If you want to do a little more, swap to non dairy milk alternatives, choose low sugar or sugar free foods and drinks, low salt too.