Laser Eye Surgery

Just looking for opinions here. I use glasses to read and find it a bit frustrating having to take them of, put them on all the time plus I like to do DIY and tinker with my motorbike so end up upside down where my glasses keep falling off.  So I have been considering eye surgery which is basically the same as cataract surgery.

Has anyone had it done?
What are others opinions on it?

• Hello there, folks. Tbh, I agree with Gerty. Eye surgery differs much from cataract surgery. I had eye laser surgery. It has greatly improved my eyesight, so if you suffer from bad vision, you should do it. A few months ago, I had an eyelid surgery west hollywood. The doctor told me that many people thought eye laser surgery and cataract surgery were the same, but they actually weren't. That's it. So, the choice is still up to you. Still, you'd better consult with your doctor. Please, don't forget to keep us updated.

• a developer i know has done it with no complications and never looked back.   However one lady manager in previous job  continued to squint after she had the surgery which drove her mad

• You are quite right, I got my terminology messed up.  I am considering lens replacement which is the same as cataract surgery in that they take out the kens and put in a new one which should enable me to read without wearing glasses, it would also allow far vision to be retained.

• In dont think Laser eye surgery  is  the same as cataract surgery.

Cataracts cause the lens in the eye to become cloudy, and are common in older people. I believe cateract surgery involves removing the cloudy lens and is common, fairly simple,  and highly successful. If the cateract is not removed vision gradually deteriorates.

Laser eye surgery uses lasers to reshape the lens to correct long or short sight. It's complex and I guess that the benefits could be.temporary, as your eyes change with age.so could be come long or short sighted again.

I have friend who had laser eye surgery so she did not need to wear glasses in her 20s but now regrets it as in her 50s her eyes cannot be properly corrected even by wearing glasses.

• Laser eye surgery is very intricate and complex because there is not much freedom for a neurosurgeon to cut open the human skull and poke around using surgical instruments to perform whatever actions they want, as it's a sensitive area that can cause a lot of damage.

Me personally, I wouldn't do it, considering how delicate it is. There's a lot of horror stories about it on reddit if you do a google search or reddit search.

• I have varifocals and they cost me a fortune every year as my eyes are getting worse every year , I could not even think of putting contacts in .

My mum had lens replacement surgery and both times after the operations she remarked how clear everything was ,

I do not know why she had to have 2 operations .

• im short sighted.... i prefer to leave it how it is. if i want to see stuff i can put my glasses on.

without my glasses though it feels like my world, because everything is fuzzy, i cant see the details of peoples face very clearly so it makes it easier for me to look at people more comfortably. and it gives me a excuse for not recognizing people in the streets so i can safely ignore people and then tell them i didnt have my glasses on as a excuse lol without glasses its totally my own world in which everyone else is just a blurr that i can ignore.

• The only people I know who had it had very bad eyes and were fed up of paying extortionate prices for the lenses in their glasses. They weren’t completely corrected but enough that they could buy regular priced glasses or be fit more easily for contacts. I think the suitability for surgery and the results depend on your eye prescription and also if you are under 40 you may need repeat surgery or glasses again when elderly 

• I've not had it done, I don't yet need to wear glasses. I do know people who have, and they were pleased. I could be wrong, but I think it's something you have to do every 10 years to maintain it, because the eyesight will continue to deteriorate. Could contact lenses help, if you haven't already tried them?