This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CBD OIL

Has anyone tried CBD OIL to help with calming Autistic children?

• This thread has now been locked due to the amount of Spam being posted in response to the question.

Thankyou for your participation in this discussion.

Kind regards,

Clare Mod

• After all, hemp oil is quite a strong drug. I would not risk giving my child such a product. I take [link removed by moderator] to relieve anxiety as a sedative occasionally. I don't know if addiction can develop. I don't know if it can become addictive. According to its effect, maybe if a doctor prescribes it as a stress reliever, I could give it to a child. The fact that the child cannot respond adequately to the received effect, of course, restrains the use of such a drug in children's therapy. And the hemp oil calmed me down beyond the expected effect. I slept through the afternoon.

• It can also be used to lessen anxiety.

• My pleasure. I particularly like the origins of 'grass', as in 'grassing someone up'. The second word is almost never used these days but it was 'hopper'. 'Grasshopper' rhymes with 'shopper', someone who 'shops' - sells others out - usually to the police.

• +1 for using one of my favourite bits of cockney rhyming slang...

• I think that children with autism should only be given CBD when they are depressed. They’re not like everyone else, so they start to reject or humiliated from an early age, because children are cruel. I sometimes can't cope with life's difficulties, and I start using [link removed by moderator] so that depression doesn't consume me. With them, I think it’s even worse, so I think they need this oil, after all, it does not cause addiction yet, it just relaxes.

• I found when I was 18 that as soon as I started using cannabis, my life got less troublesome to me.

Expressed simply and accurately, "people stopped hitting me". That was because I became more thoughtful and slower to act on impulse, I now know. Because I was now less annoying, people stopped hitting me. I've done a lot of "testing" and "evaluating" in the forty + years since, and I have learned an AWFUL lot about cannabis and it's derivatives in that time. This thread talks about CBD gummies and then segues into discussing how much THC is in them, which shows a bit of confusion and misinformation surrounds this topic (especially since it's been "the other side" in the war on drugs, there was a lot of "propaganda" from both sides of the argument. So, if I may, I'll provide, as it were, the straight dope.

Cannabis is a plant vaguely related to nettles and hops. Although it has many interesting & useful properties, for some 3000 years it has been used variously as a medicine or fr recreational/exploration purposes. The effects are produced not form a single chemical as with a tradiitional drug but a multitude of different compounds, making it complicated to use as a medicine, as different strains have different effects and worse, different people react differently to the same strain sometimes. Complicated huh?

Let's make it a bit simpler. 

Cannabis weed, hash or oil as used for recreational illegal use, is derived form the whole plant, and no industrial type effort has been made to alter it chemically. Therefore the user is taking mainly a combination of THC, (which is responsible for the more "cerebral", "electric" or even "frightening" part of the "high") and CBD which accounts for the sedative and relaxing part of the high.

These (CBD and THC) are only the main two chemicals, there are many other compounds in the plant that also modify the experience. This makes cannabis use, farming & production far more nuanced than simple drugs like alcohol, or heroin, or aspirin etc.

I have often commented how often I found a drug dealers casual briefing far more useful, comprehensive and trustworthy than the one that comes when the medical profession (who are trained and paid far more than a dope dealer, so I find this "politically annoying") supplies me with (sometimes quite dangerous) drugs. 

So in a nutshell:

CBD oil is USUALLY (and if it's legal without prescription, pretty much always) an oil usually hemp oil for obvious reasons mixed with a measured amount of pharmaceutically prepared amount of CBD only.  It seems to be a good sedative, pain reliver and muscle relaxant (amongst other things) when used as directed by a competent person. 

CANNABIS OIL, AKA Rick Simpson OIL has been mislabelled CBD oil at least once in this thread. It is not. It is not legal, it contains THC, and for some conditions it's MUCH more likely to do the trick, but you break the law when you buy or use cannabis oil. Theoretically quite severely, too, as it is a scheduled class "A" drug for some unfathomable (probably political) reason.

My guy MAKES his own gummies amongst many other things, and to be fair he works really, really, hard to make them "professionally, attending to hygiene and all sorts of other quality control measures entirely out of a personal work ethic which I find immensely reassuring. He does it for profit, but there's a certain level of discounting applied for proper "medical" users, which is nice. 

Because of the "war on drugs" including cannabis, there are a lot of frankly false ideas circulating about cannabis, which certainly isn't helped by the complex nature of the material itself.

The single CBD or low THC gummy bear you might feed your child very carefully after obtaining a full briefing of the expected effects, and monitoring the situation, however, although being derived ultimately from the cannabis plant should have a very different effect from a bong full of "skunk" being enthusiastically consumed by your child possibly in later life...

I hope that primer on the subject clarifies rather than confuses.

• I think the negative stereotypes are unfortunately out there with most terms.  It'd be great if ASC could be seen in a positive light, as implying a good condition, but I mostly see it used in a way similar to "long term health condition", which medicalises us.  Frowning2

I️ wish this would change.  Likewise the negative connotations of "autistic".  

• Clinical studies have failed to find a specific treatment for autism. Therefore, parents are encouraged to try CBD oil to treat or eliminate the symptoms (when it shows up). [link removed by moderator] has a good range and is considered the most appropriate treatment. CBD can be an effective treatment for this condition when severe exacerbations occur. It is important for parents to be aware of the benefits of CBD when using it for children with this ailment and to talk to their doctor.

• I was being challenged over my use of ASC; I use 'autistic' most of the time, but that does have baggage in the form of negative stereotypes for many people. I quite like 'condition' as it can be 'good', as in "He's in good condition". In contrast you cannot really have 'good disorder'.

• Yes CBD definitely helps me too, although I'm careful about the potency of the product because the market has been flooded now, and some products contain hardly any.  

And, although I got diagnosed with ASD, I avoid both this and ASC and just use "autistic".  I don't think of myself as disordered but to me "condition" feels derogatory too, albeit watered down and slightly preferable.  However, both seem to be useful "handles" in order to access any DWP assistance or indeed medical cannabis, and the terminology I use for officialdom is very different from my everyday use.  I wish it didn't need to be that way but it opens doors, I think.  

• I tend to use the term ASC for a number of reasons. Firstly, because it is the term used in my clinical diagnosis. Secondly, it is more accurate, as I am not 'disordered', my mind is far more logical than most people's, though I have a neurological condition that affects some aspects of social interaction and sensory processing. I am not a septic tank, neither was the psychiatrist who diagnosed me. 

• Nah just get some cocaine in your system. I kid of cores lolRofl

• ASC is ASD it's just the politically correct yank term for it it's a placebo dude a cleaver marketing scam you guys just use the term condition instead of disorder cause you think it sounds more pc even though in reality both words mean the same thing.

• interesting... i wonder if willow bark is better than aspirin then and doesnt come with the negative problems associated with aspirin.

• You could say the same about aspirin - aspirin was originally isolated from willow bark, chewing on willow bark obviously releases many more compounds than just salicylic acid (the active ingredient of aspirin). 

• i wouldnt have cbd oil... it feels like a scam to make money.

if you want the true effects of canabis you have to actually have canabis proper. taking things away from it and making it into nothing could perhaps unwittingly take away alot of the medical aspects of it especially as researchers dont even proper understand the medical aspects of it yet.

• You can only say that it did not work for you. It does work for me and I am diagnosed as having ASC. Though things could be improved a lot for autistic people in society, it is obvious that society will be best fitted to the  neurotypical as they are in the overwhelming majority.

• Tried it doesn't work. Along with the majority of antipsychotics I learnt what works well for nurotypical minds doesn't work for Autistic minds are trauma and anxiety comes from the toxic breed known as nurotypicals if we were truly accepted in a nurotypical world we wouldn't have a problem with anxiety. The doctors tell you it's because your Autistic and that's why you have anxiety the real reason we have anxiety is cause the world's a messed up place and people are hostile and toxic towards.

• Yes, they're prescription only, although both autism and anxiety are qualifying conditions.  Just mentioning them for point of comparison. 

If I were going back to online shops, I'd choose CBD Brothers.  But the flavour is quite strong and some might just put a couple of drops on a chunk of Turkish delight or into a muffin, for example.