This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CBD OIL

Has anyone tried CBD OIL to help with calming Autistic children?

Parents
  • I found when I was 18 that as soon as I started using cannabis, my life got less troublesome to me.

Expressed simply and accurately, "people stopped hitting me". That was because I became more thoughtful and slower to act on impulse, I now know. Because I was now less annoying, people stopped hitting me. I've done a lot of "testing" and "evaluating" in the forty + years since, and I have learned an AWFUL lot about cannabis and it's derivatives in that time. This thread talks about CBD gummies and then segues into discussing how much THC is in them, which shows a bit of confusion and misinformation surrounds this topic (especially since it's been "the other side" in the war on drugs, there was a lot of "propaganda" from both sides of the argument. So, if I may, I'll provide, as it were, the straight dope.

Cannabis is a plant vaguely related to nettles and hops. Although it has many interesting & useful properties, for some 3000 years it has been used variously as a medicine or fr recreational/exploration purposes. The effects are produced not form a single chemical as with a tradiitional drug but a multitude of different compounds, making it complicated to use as a medicine, as different strains have different effects and worse, different people react differently to the same strain sometimes. Complicated huh?

Let's make it a bit simpler. 

Cannabis weed, hash or oil as used for recreational illegal use, is derived form the whole plant, and no industrial type effort has been made to alter it chemically. Therefore the user is taking mainly a combination of THC, (which is responsible for the more "cerebral", "electric" or even "frightening" part of the "high") and CBD which accounts for the sedative and relaxing part of the high.

These (CBD and THC) are only the main two chemicals, there are many other compounds in the plant that also modify the experience. This makes cannabis use, farming & production far more nuanced than simple drugs like alcohol, or heroin, or aspirin etc.

I have often commented how often I found a drug dealers casual briefing far more useful, comprehensive and trustworthy than the one that comes when the medical profession (who are trained and paid far more than a dope dealer, so I find this "politically annoying") supplies me with (sometimes quite dangerous) drugs. 

So in a nutshell:

CBD oil is USUALLY (and if it's legal without prescription, pretty much always) an oil usually hemp oil for obvious reasons mixed with a measured amount of pharmaceutically prepared amount of CBD only.  It seems to be a good sedative, pain reliver and muscle relaxant (amongst other things) when used as directed by a competent person. 

CANNABIS OIL, AKA Rick Simpson OIL has been mislabelled CBD oil at least once in this thread. It is not. It is not legal, it contains THC, and for some conditions it's MUCH more likely to do the trick, but you break the law when you buy or use cannabis oil. Theoretically quite severely, too, as it is a scheduled class "A" drug for some unfathomable (probably political) reason.

My guy MAKES his own gummies amongst many other things, and to be fair he works really, really, hard to make them "professionally, attending to hygiene and all sorts of other quality control measures entirely out of a personal work ethic which I find immensely reassuring. He does it for profit, but there's a certain level of discounting applied for proper "medical" users, which is nice. 

Because of the "war on drugs" including cannabis, there are a lot of frankly false ideas circulating about cannabis, which certainly isn't helped by the complex nature of the material itself.

The single CBD or low THC gummy bear you might feed your child very carefully after obtaining a full briefing of the expected effects, and monitoring the situation, however, although being derived ultimately from the cannabis plant should have a very different effect from a bong full of "skunk" being enthusiastically consumed by your child possibly in later life...

I hope that primer on the subject clarifies rather than confuses.

• I found when I was 18 that as soon as I started using cannabis, my life got less troublesome to me.

Expressed simply and accurately, "people stopped hitting me". That was because I became more thoughtful and slower to act on impulse, I now know. Because I was now less annoying, people stopped hitting me. I've done a lot of "testing" and "evaluating" in the forty + years since, and I have learned an AWFUL lot about cannabis and it's derivatives in that time. This thread talks about CBD gummies and then segues into discussing how much THC is in them, which shows a bit of confusion and misinformation surrounds this topic (especially since it's been "the other side" in the war on drugs, there was a lot of "propaganda" from both sides of the argument. So, if I may, I'll provide, as it were, the straight dope.

Cannabis is a plant vaguely related to nettles and hops. Although it has many interesting & useful properties, for some 3000 years it has been used variously as a medicine or fr recreational/exploration purposes. The effects are produced not form a single chemical as with a tradiitional drug but a multitude of different compounds, making it complicated to use as a medicine, as different strains have different effects and worse, different people react differently to the same strain sometimes. Complicated huh?

Let's make it a bit simpler. 

Cannabis weed, hash or oil as used for recreational illegal use, is derived form the whole plant, and no industrial type effort has been made to alter it chemically. Therefore the user is taking mainly a combination of THC, (which is responsible for the more "cerebral", "electric" or even "frightening" part of the "high") and CBD which accounts for the sedative and relaxing part of the high.

These (CBD and THC) are only the main two chemicals, there are many other compounds in the plant that also modify the experience. This makes cannabis use, farming & production far more nuanced than simple drugs like alcohol, or heroin, or aspirin etc.

I have often commented how often I found a drug dealers casual briefing far more useful, comprehensive and trustworthy than the one that comes when the medical profession (who are trained and paid far more than a dope dealer, so I find this "politically annoying") supplies me with (sometimes quite dangerous) drugs. 

So in a nutshell:

CBD oil is USUALLY (and if it's legal without prescription, pretty much always) an oil usually hemp oil for obvious reasons mixed with a measured amount of pharmaceutically prepared amount of CBD only.  It seems to be a good sedative, pain reliver and muscle relaxant (amongst other things) when used as directed by a competent person. 

CANNABIS OIL, AKA Rick Simpson OIL has been mislabelled CBD oil at least once in this thread. It is not. It is not legal, it contains THC, and for some conditions it's MUCH more likely to do the trick, but you break the law when you buy or use cannabis oil. Theoretically quite severely, too, as it is a scheduled class "A" drug for some unfathomable (probably political) reason.

My guy MAKES his own gummies amongst many other things, and to be fair he works really, really, hard to make them "professionally, attending to hygiene and all sorts of other quality control measures entirely out of a personal work ethic which I find immensely reassuring. He does it for profit, but there's a certain level of discounting applied for proper "medical" users, which is nice. 

Because of the "war on drugs" including cannabis, there are a lot of frankly false ideas circulating about cannabis, which certainly isn't helped by the complex nature of the material itself.

The single CBD or low THC gummy bear you might feed your child very carefully after obtaining a full briefing of the expected effects, and monitoring the situation, however, although being derived ultimately from the cannabis plant should have a very different effect from a bong full of "skunk" being enthusiastically consumed by your child possibly in later life...

I hope that primer on the subject clarifies rather than confuses.

Children
No Data