Do non Autistics intuitively "know" how to act and communicate?

I read on this website that "Other people appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, but Autistics do not", but believe this statement to be completely untrue in so many ways.

I do not believe that there is any one way to interact and communicate and nor do i believe anyone, even non autistic could possibly be thought of as someone that "knows" how to act and communicate in every given situation.

I believe making wrong statements like this just causes confusion.

Would do you think?

Do you think there are people out there that just intuitively "know" how to act and communicate? In that case, what happens when they come across someone that has more experience and is more intelligent than them?

• Eh.... that IS how they diagnose you these days. 'You are autistic but high functioning'. 

(Which I couldn't agree with as I am not functioning AT ALL.)

It's that new diagnosis thing where 'Asperger' no longer exist.

Just saying.

• If you want to come back and discuss why you feel so strongly against NAS and professionals who diagnose etc, Mr/Ms Taxi driver that’s fine. I realise it is not us you are against, but the “labelling” by experts. Many people struggle with communication. It’s easier online by far, but it would help on this forum if you acknowledge other people’s genuine concern and enquiries, even if you were to say you didn’t feel comfortable giving direct answers. 

The possibilities are endless without your own input. So is the frustration. Bear in mind that one of us could actually be a nervous, silent type in your taxi, or perhaps would have been when younger. We have found this method of communicating. It would be good if you could too. We support each other here. Labels are not an issue. Everything has a name. That’s just language. I hope your day goes well. 

• I also got upset.  He referred to me as high functioning.  Me high functioning?

I can communicate fairly well in writing anonymously on  websites.   But in real life and verbally, I am challenged.  And my body language is all wrong.  

• But his reactions to other posters meant that his original message got lost.  And he upset people by snapping back at them.

It was his absolute refusal to accept that anyone replying could possibly be autistic that upset people.  The fact that NTs could have communication difficulties, or not like change or whatever else automatically, to him, meant that no one could be autistic who had these problems and could appear to communicate properly.

Perhaps in future anyone who suspects they are autistic should dispense with seeking help from trained professionals and go for a taxi ride instead and seek advice from a 'true' professional in the guise of a taxi driver.  There is a poem by Pam Ayres I like (about husbands, but I am sure you could substitute Taxi Driver for husband):

http://pamayres.com/index.php/2011/08/they-should-have-asked-my-husband/

or, if you want it 'performed' in her own inimitable way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4oydSZTAns

• ...YES! This is what I was trying to say and ask! But I try to be careful (??), and would say that, as I said, there may have been a communication difficulty which was like Autism but is a different diagnosis. There are too many different "Social communication" diagnoses - and the ones I was thinking of actually include the idea that the person diagnosed does not think that they act in that way or is aware of it at all... but they see this as insulting...!

This is what I meant. Mr LoneWarrior also suggested a different approach much later... and so I wonder which was correct, if any.

Thank You, Mr. R-Sir...

• I think you are correct that, that is what the original post said.

But his reactions to other posters meant that his original message got lost.  And he upset people by snapping back at them.

I suspect that he is NT with more communication difficulties than most Autistics.

• "maybe what is what is trying to be conveyed by NAS39246, is either: 1 - That not everyone who is NT is automatically good and well with Social Interaction...? Or - 2 - There are other diagnosis which apply to "Social Communication Difficulties" other than "Autism"... Or -3- The fact that, under certain circumstances, a person will not be physically able to speak up at all, and this is what "Social Communication Difficulty" (including Autism) sort of means...?"

...Now this is asked Three times. Please tell me if I was correct or not, Thanks, if that is okay...?

• I live in hope that you are now being sincere.

• I hope this thread is left as a good example of how certain people can exhibit their bigotry and ignorance and refusal to understand. NAS 39246 you are an example of this par excellence. 

• Hi cloudy, if nothing else at least it brought the community together,

we supported each other when it was needed.

So not a complete loss.

Maybe NAS could edit the title and retitle it as “ How to deal with antagonistic individuals who portray to be kind and inquisitive “.

Well I might just get some sleep now, nite nite to those still awake, take care all. () 

• His light keeps going off and on because he will be trolling five or six different forums at the same time.

• Some things aren't worth making sense of. He could want attention, he could just want to make people feel like ***, he could have questions, he could suspect he is Autistic, lots of things we could ponder.

He basically tried to *** with everyone who answer him honestly. Seeing this I couldn't really waste time caring about his reasons.

Some things deserve effort and attention. Some things reach a point where there is no point.

• Hi all, Nithing to do with the original post. But I keep trying to see who has upvoted each post, I tried to see the two that voted my reply, for some reason I just cannot get the results, I inadvertently down voted myself, then up voted myself. Usually on my iPad touch screen tablet I press the centre +1 or in this case +3 and then when the little black box appears I touch that with another finger. Now it seems no amount of variation will allow me to get it to open up with the names that voted?

Any advice gladly received, 

it is nice when you get a vote up, especially if it is not a usual thing to recieve,

So here is the +3 vote.( the orange up arrow was because I voted myself up)

And here is the black box I then touch to reveal the voters list.

As I said it always worked before the updated new look.

take care all. Sleep well, () () ()

——————————————————————————

edited to add I now know how to get the voted list up. I just tap the centre figure, no more holding it down , so all good, 

to be honest it was not easy the other way, I had to first expand the page so the black box was big enough to hold and then tap,,,fat fingers Lol.

oh and thanks for the up votes, 

• ...Me again, Mr/Miss NAS39246... it is late and so I must sign off after this; but please reply to what I wrote. I posted it twice before and wonder if any of it was correct. Thanks.

• I must sign off soon, but I vote this up because this (last parts) was towards what I was thinking, Sir. I wanted a reply to what I wrote. (It is 3AM now, but I think this significant... maybe...)

• “It seems i have upset people on this forum.

I apologise for this and it was not my intention.

I will not bother anyone here again.”

We will see if he keeps his word.

I for one will not be holding my breath, his light keeps coming on?

It could just be someone who has been told he is autistic and is in denial?

could be he has been badly effected by someone who was autistic?

I encountered an individual like this once, it was st work, someone I knew and had a lot of respect for.

He basically told me I had no right to think let alone say I was autistic! And that I needed to shut up, 

i got upset, overwhelmed, shouted at him, said “DO NOT tell me who I am or not! How dare you tell me to shut up. “

turned out he has a nephew with severe autism, he likes him a lot. So seeing me apparently getting on with life was to him an insult to his nephew!

He could not begin to think I was autistic, to him I was taking the pee by stating I was autistic.

I had a major melt down that day, my first big one, I screamed whilst I was driving  home, cried, bawled, but I still forgave him in my own mind, 

He has since requested me above all others to assist him on a job. He was ok... maybe someone took him aside and explained that not all autistic people are the same?

• There are neurodiverse people, neurotypical people and people that are just ***. Luckily *** are the minority in both groups. I think he just thought that he'd waste a few hours feeling superior, knowing deep down he was a ***. I think he knows.

• It was not my intentions to upset anyone, nor become upset.

Sorry it wasn't a one way street. I hope your fragile ego isn't too bruised.

• Perhaps it would be best if the thread just got removed and i will leave everyone in peace.

AND!!!!

.?????

yawn,,,,

• Well wasn’t that intriguing!

I hadn’t got anything better to do anyway, 

helped while away a few minutes. 

May I just say this type of individual usually gets pleasure asking a question but enjoys arguing with any replies he receives, a bad person full stop, I do not count him as being like all NT people. In fact he may well have issues himself?

I do hope he now knows what it is to be a minority’s Lol.