Do non Autistics intuitively "know" how to act and communicate?

I read on this website that "Other people appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, but Autistics do not", but believe this statement to be completely untrue in so many ways.

I do not believe that there is any one way to interact and communicate and nor do i believe anyone, even non autistic could possibly be thought of as someone that "knows" how to act and communicate in every given situation.

I believe making wrong statements like this just causes confusion.

Would do you think?

Do you think there are people out there that just intuitively "know" how to act and communicate? In that case, what happens when they come across someone that has more experience and is more intelligent than them?

Parents
  • "maybe what is what is trying to be conveyed by NAS39246, is either: 1 - That not everyone who is NT is automatically good and well with Social Interaction...? Or - 2 - There are other diagnosis which apply to "Social Communication Difficulties" other than "Autism"... Or -3- The fact that, under certain circumstances, a person will not be physically able to speak up at all, and this is what "Social Communication Difficulty" (including Autism) sort of means...?"

...Now this is asked Three times. Please tell me if I was correct or not, Thanks, if that is okay...?

• I think you are correct that, that is what the original post said.

But his reactions to other posters meant that his original message got lost.  And he upset people by snapping back at them.

I suspect that he is NT with more communication difficulties than most Autistics.

Reply Children
  • I also got upset.  He referred to me as high functioning.  Me high functioning?

I can communicate fairly well in writing anonymously on  websites.   But in real life and verbally, I am challenged.  And my body language is all wrong.  

• But his reactions to other posters meant that his original message got lost.  And he upset people by snapping back at them.

It was his absolute refusal to accept that anyone replying could possibly be autistic that upset people.  The fact that NTs could have communication difficulties, or not like change or whatever else automatically, to him, meant that no one could be autistic who had these problems and could appear to communicate properly.

Perhaps in future anyone who suspects they are autistic should dispense with seeking help from trained professionals and go for a taxi ride instead and seek advice from a 'true' professional in the guise of a taxi driver.  There is a poem by Pam Ayres I like (about husbands, but I am sure you could substitute Taxi Driver for husband):

http://pamayres.com/index.php/2011/08/they-should-have-asked-my-husband/

or, if you want it 'performed' in her own inimitable way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4oydSZTAns

• ...YES! This is what I was trying to say and ask! But I try to be careful (??), and would say that, as I said, there may have been a communication difficulty which was like Autism but is a different diagnosis. There are too many different "Social communication" diagnoses - and the ones I was thinking of actually include the idea that the person diagnosed does not think that they act in that way or is aware of it at all... but they see this as insulting...!

This is what I meant. Mr LoneWarrior also suggested a different approach much later... and so I wonder which was correct, if any.

Thank You, Mr. R-Sir...