Do non Autistics intuitively "know" how to act and communicate?

I read on this website that "Other people appear to know, intuitively, how to communicate and interact with each other, but Autistics do not", but believe this statement to be completely untrue in so many ways.

I do not believe that there is any one way to interact and communicate and nor do i believe anyone, even non autistic could possibly be thought of as someone that "knows" how to act and communicate in every given situation.

I believe making wrong statements like this just causes confusion.

Would do you think?

Do you think there are people out there that just intuitively "know" how to act and communicate? In that case, what happens when they come across someone that has more experience and is more intelligent than them?

Parents
  • There are many condiitions and diseases, both mental and physical, which overlap symptoms with others.

I may have a lump on my back.  I am worried about this, so I google it.  Among the conditions I read is cancer.  So I am worried.  I go to my doctor and he says it is a sebacious cyst.  I am happier about that, but it doesn't prevent the discomfort, the numbness down my arm (as it is pressing on a nerve), the fact that it has got infected, and that it needs to be cut out to prevent further discomfort.

I may have bleeding from my bottom.  I look it up on Google and it says it may be cancer or a haemorrhoid.  I also have severe itching, and it is embarrassing to go to the doctor, so I self medicate.  After a time the bleeding gets worse and it has been very uncomfortable for months and months.  I go to the doctor who sends me to have a colonoscopy.  This I find very uncomfortable but they find it is indeed haemorrhoids which they band.  The fact it is not cancer does not mean that cancer does not exist or that I did not have a problem myself.

I am suffering from a rapid heartbeat and feeling faint.  I am diagnosed with Atrial Fibulation.  Someone else with rapid heartbeat does not have Atrial Fibulation but is suffering from anxiety.  This does not mean Atrial Fibulation does not exist, or that Anxiety is not a serious condition. 

And so it is with autism.  Someone suffering similar symptoms but is not autistic does not mean autism does not exist.  And neither does it mean that the other condition is not worthy of help.  But autism exists throughout life, it cannot be cured, and the main 'treatment' seems to be to try to make autistic people behave like NTs.

I suggest you read up a lot more on autism to try to gain some understanding of the problems autistic people face.  Some of these may be problems of other conditions, but that does not mean that autism is not a very real condition.  I also suggest you yourself take the fifty question AQ test, and also the Aspie Quiz

http://rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Whether you are autistic or not it should perhaps give you some insight.

• If you read my reply to Robert123 you will see the problem i have in accepting high functioning people such as yourself as Autistic.

Reply Children
  • Eh.... that IS how they diagnose you these days. 'You are autistic but high functioning'. 

(Which I couldn't agree with as I am not functioning AT ALL.)

It's that new diagnosis thing where 'Asperger' no longer exist.

Just saying.

• Maybe you cannot argue with a closed mind, but you could argue with the professional that labelled you Autistic and gave him reasons why you are not autistic.. Had you done so then he would not have diagnosed you Autistic.

• problem i have in accepting high functioning people such as yourself as Autistic.

So you are some sort of 'flat earther' of neurological conditions?

I myself think the moon is made of cheese, that the earth was made in six days, and that Father Christmas visits me once a year.  And I have some evidence for all these, so I know your views overule all others.  So thank you for convincing me I am not autistic despite medical and psychological opinions.

Or perhaps I think your thinking is a bit suspect. (and that is my last word on this as one cannot argue with a closed mind).

• You do seem to have a problem as you have said accepting anyone called high functioning autistic, may I remind you we did not ask to have a label, Society decided that if we or a number of individuals in some way did not fit the normality they themselves label as neurotypical then we must have a label to receive any level of acceptance. We must be labelled so the mass population can understand why we are not as they say the same as them.

We just want to be allowed to be ourselves, we do not intend harm to anyone, we try to integrate as best we can. We are not to be blamed if we can not communicate as others seem to be able too.

Society makes the rules, the overall normality as prescribed by the masses as being normal and acceptable.

We are no threat to anyone’s existence.

you have not tried to answer my questions, why do you feel a need to find out if we can or cannot communicate with others?

We can all type whatever we like in here, but face to face it would be so very different, even you may instantly notice we are not as you perceive normal or indeed one of your passengers, we are varied, if we had any choice maybe we might have twenty different labels to give ourselves, however we are not consulted, we have no choice, even as I type the low functioning and high functioning title is being dismissed, Asperger will no longer exist, we can then tell you we are all indeed the same, just autistic, you say we do not act or behave like your passengers who are autistic, and yet you come here to start a conversation with the very people you say cannot exist! Why is that. Are you angry about something. Are you looking to help and support someone who is autistic? Have you been in some way effected by some one with autism?

I do not expect an answer from you as I may just reply in a way you cannot dismiss.

Anyway I do not exist as an autistic so you must be talking to yourself or a liar. 

I have not told you wether I am autistic or not. Maybe you can tell me?