Jury duty

HI

I have been asked to do jury duty and I really really cannot do it. I have sent the form back asking to be excused. I was diagnosed late in life 2 years ago. I just hope they do excuse me as I am anxious now waiting to see if they get back. 

Does anyone have any experience of how this works. Do you think having aspergers will be a good enough reason to be excused. I realise we are all different and some would love the opportunity but I am not one. 

Thanks in advance for any input.

• I have just replied to do Jury duty at Durham court and I am Autistic. I am really interested in the experience and I am happy that help is available to navigate the process Relaxed️ thankyou Heartpulse

• Thanks,

I wasn't commenting on the interactions of the legal system with autistic people generally and whether it needs treats them equitably or needs to be more accommodating. I think that's an entirely different conversation. I don't think I have failed to acknowledge the issue - I just wasn't aware we were ranging that far.

I stand by what I say, that being an autistic person in the abstract is neither excuse nor disqualification from serving on a jury and in some cases may even be a benefit (to the process, if not the individual). However, an individual's own personal anxiety profile as an autistic person, or other aspects of that, may excuse them from serving, but only they will know that so I wouldn't presume to comment.

I think it's possible to take a positive position on autistic people's contribution to the system, as it currently stands, without detracting from any argument for change or reform or more inclusive practice. 

Your response has reminded me not to assume other people see things the same way I do though.
    I find the formality of the process helpful. Others don't.
    I would find a less formal process with no hard edges difficult to navigate or understand. Others would find it makes things more accessible.

I would much rather get a letter telling me bluntly "do X or face Y penalty. Explain if you can't" than a softer communication that left me unclear about expectations or having to guess 'how serious/formal/necessary is this actually' because the language is softer but is now ambiguous. That would make me anxious and I would seriously over-think it but other people would find it a vast improvement.
    But that's probably only me - I mean I just spent three days puzzling out this comment... Joy

• Sometimes autistic people have no option but appear as victims and witnesses too. I would hope the court gets some briefing on how that impacts on that individual's communication and processing and things about the things you mention above and more for them too.

• I just wanted to highlight the positive aspects of being an autistic juror

Forgive me, but I feel you're seriously failing to see the wider picture here; especially that you don't seem to acknowledge the existence of the issue that even the conduct and correspondence of the court by itself can result in the consequences of someone having a significant panic attack or even bring one about just by being in a courthouse, and people receiving threat letters of a fine for non-compliance is certainly not going to end well.

As someone with aspergers autism: seriously, we understand the law...but the law needs to understand us.

For the conversation as a whole, if you want any good tips from me to avoid provoking a panic attack in a vulnerable person, here are few starting points to consider...

• Avoid wearing/using formal symbols (wigs, gowns, etc)
    • Use simple language, don't use jargon unless there is no other equivalent meaning
    • Avoid direct eye contact
    • Don't raise your voice or try to make it sound forceful
    • Don't force someone out of their own mental pace
  • I agree that autism, in itself, shouldn't be seen as a reason not to serve.

I am a magistrate. I do it on a volunteer basis once a month. We sit as a 3-member panel and are both judge and jury in criminal cases with power to imprison for up to 12 months.

I find it very draining and stressful. The small-talk in the retiring room between cases is painful and the planning to accommodate it is problematic for me (rota is published 6 months in advance but diary management is a very weak area and I always seem to end up double booked and having to try and find a way to keep my court commitment at the expense of the other thing) but I do it because I feel a strong public service compulsion.

I can't count the number of times I have sat on a bench with a generic bossy type who has instantly decided what the verdict and sentence should be and a generic meek type who just agrees with them, and it has fallen to me - the probable autistic - to stubbornly insist that we walk through the reasoning out loud following a logical process, point out all the bits of information they haven't heard or connections that they haven't made in following the chain of events, explain where they are focused on bits of evidence that are irrelevant to the decision that needs to be made and make myself very unpopular with my 2 fellow magistrates in the process. It often changes the outcome though, and I find that sometimes I only need to be difficult and really push my point for the first case that is up, and then my colleagues become a lot more thoughtful in their deliberations for the rest of the day.

I think autistic people an bring a lot of much needed rigour, balance and insight to court proceedings and should be encouraged and supported to participate on juries, if they are able to manage the anxiety this causes. Of course I understand that this may not always be possible.

I just wanted to highlight the positive aspects of being an autistic juror

• Yes indeed.  I think this should be case by case.  Someone is not unsuitable for jury duty just because they are autistic.  I'd do it and I'd cope.  Also we are part of society's diversity and juries need to reflect society.  I dare say our logical skills could be very useful indeed on a jury.

Others may just find it too anxiety inducing to cope with the social context or the travel etc.  They need to look at the whole context for each person.

• I did it a few years ago. It was a bit of a challenge working out timing for buses and exactly what to take etc. I was fortunate to get on a case the first day so no sitting around each day. On a plus side our attention to detail is a strong point.

• Yes, I was hesitant to respond, but since you have I think I will share a thought too.

While totally understanding why many would not be able to do jury service, I think it would set an alarming precedent if a diagnosis of autism on its own was to disqualify one and count on its own as mental incapacity! By which I mean, the anxiety on its own, with or without autism, would be reasonable to let someone off if they felt it would be impossible. But if autistic people were excluded from this automatically even those of us who would do a very good job of it, that would be a bad thing for us and for society.

Myself, I would not be able to due to a physical disability. My autism would surely make it difficult, but not to shirk a responsibility.

• This is why I'll never join the electoral roll. I follow politics and am engaged but the risk of being called up isn't worth the right to vote for me.

• Oh just realised this is 6 years old. Ah...still people are being called up all the time. Always relevant, I guess

• I think it depends how it affects you. I'd do it and be fine. Others might find having to deal with the social contact too much or be worried their communication might fall apart under the stress.

Clearly, jury duty is a civic duty and just not wanting to is not a good enough reason for anyone to be excused. However, if there are particular aspects of your autistic profile which would make it difficult for you, I would outline that as your reason to seek excusal. Your GP might back you up with a letter.

• because being Autistic we tend of morals unlike Nurotypicals.

What does this mean?

• But even still it's not something I'd want to partake anyway.

same for me

• I reckon so it's something I wouldn't want to do myself either because being Autistic we tend of morals unlike Nurotypicals. The idea of putting someone's freedom or someone's protection in my own hands is not a burden I needed added to my stress. But then again dury service in this country is mostly for petty crime nothing major. But even still it's not something I'd want to partake anyway.

• I just don't get why our laws are being formulated around complex and convoluted language.

• Yes it is a valid reason. You don't have to do it dude.

• Hi folks,

I work in the courts as an usher and recently supported a juror with autism through a trial they had been selected for. They hadn't mentioned it on the form you are given that covers both loss of earnings and any health issues that may affect you during jury service, I only found out when they disclosed it to me after having a panic attack.

So my top tip would be to always mention it on that form, to the jury manager and to the usher who is assisting on the trial once you've been selected. Your well-being throughout your service is our priority :) I recognise that the justice system as it currently stands is not totally accessible for all but HMCTS are bringing out new resources soon that will go to all courts in England and Wales to help staff to better support service users with autism, and where I'm based the team are working hard to implement procedures as soon as we can!

• Quite relieved after reading the posts on here.

I received a letter today summoning me to jury service, and i've been a bag of nerves, worrying about whether or not I will be excused. I suffer from extreme anxiety, struggle a lot with social interaction and have a phobia of public transport (which unfortunately is so crippling I've been out of work for a long time) so the idea of travelling up to London every day and having to meet and talk with a bunch of people i've never met is making me very nervous. I honestly don't think I'd be able to do it.

I'll contact them and ask if I can be excused, and hopefully they will understand.

• Just to update.

I have contacted the courts and the lady I spoke to said I had been excused and a letter was on its way to me. 

I didn't send any evidence with my form (but could have provided my assessment if needed) and I didn't have to tick that I lacked mental capacity because I would have been lying to say that. I just struggle with social contact and travel and get over anxious so to anyone that may be asked to do this, if you cannot or think you would not be able to do it, just ask to be excused. 

Thanks again  for inputs.