Jury duty

HI

I have been asked to do jury duty and I really really cannot do it. I have sent the form back asking to be excused. I was diagnosed late in life 2 years ago. I just hope they do excuse me as I am anxious now waiting to see if they get back. 

Does anyone have any experience of how this works. Do you think having aspergers will be a good enough reason to be excused. I realise we are all different and some would love the opportunity but I am not one. 

Thanks in advance for any input.

Parents
  • I think it depends how it affects you. I'd do it and be fine. Others might find having to deal with the social contact too much or be worried their communication might fall apart under the stress.

Clearly, jury duty is a civic duty and just not wanting to is not a good enough reason for anyone to be excused. However, if there are particular aspects of your autistic profile which would make it difficult for you, I would outline that as your reason to seek excusal. Your GP might back you up with a letter.

• Oh just realised this is 6 years old. Ah...still people are being called up all the time. Always relevant, I guess

• Yes, I was hesitant to respond, but since you have I think I will share a thought too.

While totally understanding why many would not be able to do jury service, I think it would set an alarming precedent if a diagnosis of autism on its own was to disqualify one and count on its own as mental incapacity! By which I mean, the anxiety on its own, with or without autism, would be reasonable to let someone off if they felt it would be impossible. But if autistic people were excluded from this automatically even those of us who would do a very good job of it, that would be a bad thing for us and for society.

Myself, I would not be able to due to a physical disability. My autism would surely make it difficult, but not to shirk a responsibility.

• Yes indeed.  I think this should be case by case.  Someone is not unsuitable for jury duty just because they are autistic.  I'd do it and I'd cope.  Also we are part of society's diversity and juries need to reflect society.  I dare say our logical skills could be very useful indeed on a jury.

Others may just find it too anxiety inducing to cope with the social context or the travel etc.  They need to look at the whole context for each person.

• Yes indeed.  I think this should be case by case.  Someone is not unsuitable for jury duty just because they are autistic.  I'd do it and I'd cope.  Also we are part of society's diversity and juries need to reflect society.  I dare say our logical skills could be very useful indeed on a jury.

Others may just find it too anxiety inducing to cope with the social context or the travel etc.  They need to look at the whole context for each person.

Children
No Data