Jury duty

HI

I have been asked to do jury duty and I really really cannot do it. I have sent the form back asking to be excused. I was diagnosed late in life 2 years ago. I just hope they do excuse me as I am anxious now waiting to see if they get back. 

Does anyone have any experience of how this works. Do you think having aspergers will be a good enough reason to be excused. I realise we are all different and some would love the opportunity but I am not one. 

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Thankyou for your replies above.

I had already sent the form back but did not tick that I lacked mental capacity. I don't as I know to but just struggle making decisions, being around people, traveling, being away from home I  general. I know I would not be able to sleep beforehand worrying and being overwhelmed. 

I do have a formal diagnosis but also never sent them proof of this which I wish I had done, I suppose if they get back they could always ask for it. My gp I think would do me a letter (I guess if I paid them). 

I just wrote that I had severe anxiety and a diagnosis of aspergers (asd). I also get stress related physical illness from my anxiety. 

• Hi there,

I did Jury Service once - before I had my diagnosis, and actually well before I'd even realised I was on the Spectrum.

It was a good experience in a lot of ways but very draining, mentally, and physically too as I had to go a long way on the train.

Anyway, it's not something I'd want to do again so I asked the team who assessed me if they could find out if someone with a diagnosis of ASD could be excused from Jury Service if they felt it likely to induce anxiety.

The court person got back to say there is a question (Part 2 D) on the summons form where one is asked about mental capacity. Apparently you tick 'yes' to to that question and give details in the box further down the page. You sign and date page 4 and then you are disqualified from Jury Service for reasons of mental capacity.

I hope this helps :D

• I also forgot to add, you are allowed to put it off once and only once. When you do that, you have to select a time within the next 12 months to move it to, you are also allowed to change which court you attend. I originally got called for Crown Court in Bristol (which turned out to be a murder case that made national news and also lasted 6 months). I am so grateful that I didn't end up on that one.

I put it off and moved it to the Crown Court in Lincoln, a year later.

• I have done jury duty before. I didn't end up getting on a case, as the defendent in every case that came up pleaded guilty. I got excused after a week. Even so, it was very stressful and I did not enjoy it.

Here is an itinerary of what happened on the first day I went.

• Got to the jurors room at 8:30am
    • The clerk took a register, and checked everybody was there, approx. 30 people in my case (two court rooms full plus spares)
    • We watched a video about what to expect
    • They give you some forms to fill in with regards to loss of income/parking charges etc 
    • We went into the court room to be shown around/ask questions
    • Then we went back into the jurors room, where you are expected to stay (except for lunch time)
    • One time we got to the stage of being selected to go in
    • Decided whether we wanted to take a religious or non religious oath, then were sworn in, in the jurors room
    • Then we just sat in the jurors room getting regular updates for when we might go into court (this was the worst part for me)
    • Then we got dismissed for the day, as they pleaded guilty

I believe that when the 15 jurors go into the court room, you face the defendent and you are supposed to tell the judge if you know them. I also think the judge asks you if you think you are fit for doing the duty. At this stage, you could try to explain that you don't think you would be able to. You could tell him/her that you are autistic and how that might affect your ability to understand the testimony/struggle to cope with the pressure of the situation.

You could even say something like: I may not be able to give a fair chance to the defendent as I will just be acting in a way to reduce my own stress levels, such that I will select the option that has me here for the least amount of time. I think they might take a dim view of that one.

These are some of the things I thought about saying, minus the autistic part as I don't have a diagnosis as proof.

Alternatively, you may be able to get your GP to give you a letter that you can give to the jury selection people. If you can explain clearly/help the GP write the letter, it would probably be your best chance of avoiding it.