Mode of transport: car, bike, legs, magic carpet, teleporter?

How do you get about and are you happy with your mode of transport?

I used my legs, pushbike, moped, buses and trains until 17 years ago when I got my 1st car.

Now my car has died and I don't anticipate being able to drive again, for various reasons.

I'm wanting to make the best of this - far less expense and what I find the unpleasant experience of driving and grappling with other aggressive drivers.

I might get fitter.

I do have a couple of people who would be willing to give me lifts when necessary.

Any upsides anyone can see to me being car free, but also, what about you?

ps.  I no longer work, so that's a huge advantage when not having your own transport.

• Bus fare caps are like getting a present from the government! So happy it's going well.

• I hope you car free plan works, will save you so much on insurance, tax etc.

Thank you.

So far, so good.

The car is now sold which is great and I am enjoying the lack of responsibility and the money saved (as you point out) is very helpful.

It's only been a few days though and I do live in a town near facilities, which is proving a Godsend.

This is hugely helpful, and was a most welcome surprise today:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/2-bus-fare-cap

• I drive, cycle, use trains and walk. I would love to use trains more but the sheer cost, even with my rail card makes it so expensive. I hope you car free plan works, will save you so much on insurance, tax etc.

• 1400 quid for a brake service sounds unreasonable, and says to me that your mechanics can swap out parts but accomplish little else. An all too sadly common experience I am afraid.

I mean really good used calipers ready to fit should only be about 100 quid a corner, surely? 

MInd you, if you will drive a Ferrarri...

It would be interesting to see what the other car savvy people think of your 1400 quid brake service...  I used to expend less than that on my Jag amd I'd insist on the correct mostly new parts being fitted. An entire diff swapout and engine valve seals replacement on my Daimler 4.0L didn't cost me that much! 

Brakes are consumables... What do you drive? 

• So, overall, I'm feeling quite optimistic.

That's good to hear.

My car was going to cost £1400 to repair and it's old.

It needed new brakes including calipers, all round.

I was told by the garage that not using the car very much and the extremely wet weather we have had were part of the cause.

When I have problems it's usually the brakes. I have put that down to living in a hilly area but I suspect the lack of use plays a large part too. 

It cost me £500 to get mine through the MOT last month. That will hopefully be one less thing to worry about until next year. The whole process is so stressful and I find I cannot focus on anything else until it is resolved. Having a car is a responsibility and causes a lot of worry, for me that would be one advantage of giving it up.

That reminds me I haven't been out in my car yet this month. I think the Easter school holidays have finished now, so it should be safe to venture out next week.

I hope that your car continues to survive.

Thank you Fingers crossed

• I like getting public transport so long as it is pre-planned and definite (I prefer train rides to buses) but I cannot stand it when they are super packed and busy as it gets so overwhelming.   

I would love to be able to drive and even though I can technically drive really well according to my family and driving instructor, I keep failing my driving tests due to the pressure and stress on the day! 

• Thanks everyone for all your replies.

I used the bus today for the 1st time in years.

It wasn't too bad but then it was a good time of day - not full (a double decker) and just women 'of a certain age' like me, mainly.

It did take 3 times as long as the car because of the guided tour of housing estates but that's par for the course.

So, overall, I'm feeling quite optimistic.

I've found everyone's input here very helpful.

It is becoming harder to justify the huge expense of having a lump of metal parked outside, unused and slowly rusting. Like me it is aging and getting it through the annual MOT is a source of great stress. In the not too distant future there is going to be a point where it is not worth repairing. I'm not sure what I'll do then

My car was going to cost £1400 to repair and it's old.

It needed new brakes including calipers, all round.

I was told by the garage that not using the car very much and the extremely wet weather we have had were part of the cause.

Where I live public transport is poor with only a handful of buses each day.

The bus to the place I tend to visit regularly to shop is every hour, which is what I caught today.

I hope that your car continues to survive.

• Have you tried it - the gyroscopic effect of the wheels makes balance almost automatic as soon as you are moving so you only have to focus when you start or stop.

Yes I have tried. I did eventually manage to learn as a child but it didn't really get easier with practice. It doesn't take very much to throw me off balance. I posted on the dyspraxia thread that I used to cycle to secondary school but I had to give up due to far too many falls and collisions. I even collided with a bus once!

Where I live now it really wouldn't be safe. The roads are narrow and uneven, with hills and blind bends. That's before considering the lunatic drivers.

There are also battery assisted push bikes that can take away the difficult part of starting pedaling and balancing.

It may be worth borrowing one or renting one for a day to see how you get on.

I would be curious to try a power assisted bike in a safer environment. Maybe if I'm on holiday somewhere where I can rent one I'll consider trying it.

If you are in an area covered by Uber then there is often an option (certainly for the Black service) to select if you want the driver to not chat - quite handy.

I'm not in an Uber area but that's useful to know if I use one on my travels in future.

• I don't drive but do travel in a car. I don't find it a very pleasant experience and get anxious/panicked at times.

• I live in the country about two miles from the nearest bus stop and branch line train station and can't drive. I find it too overwhelming and I recognise even if I could drive I'd probably be a hazard. So I've always cycled, walked, taken the train and bus. I used to cycle everywhere when I lived in the city. These days I walk to the bus stop or train station when I want to go anywhere. I'm lucky enough to work from home and my wife drives and has a small car. 

• Iain people have said that to me too, but if you have balance issues then telling people that once they get up to speed they'll be alright isn't really helpful and actually feels quite dismissive. For those of us with balance issues its not, '..really quite easy..' its really very difficult, and becomes yet another thing to be "othered" over, I dont' feel anyone takes balance issues as seriously as they should either.

• These days at my age, I’d love the idea of a luxury cruise, a ship within a ship that is separated from the other passengers, chauffeur driven limousine, private jet (pass the champagne and caviar lol) and first class train travel in some of those high speed trains - I’ve seen some of those first class Japanese trains and they are even more luxurious than those used by the Japanese Royal Family - I also like the Italian high speed trains, especially in first class and business class and the newer German ICE high speed trains 

• I always prefer trains to buses.  The cost is higher but looks at the advantages.  I travel with a better class of people.  The poor, smelly and homeless cannot afford train travel.  Trains are faster, no traffic jams.  They have toilets.

• Hi

I learned to drive over 30 years ago when I was astounded (and horrified ) to pass my test first time. I only drove for about 6 months then made some *** and bull excuse not to drive again. Looking back and with the benefit of hindsight I realise that I was overwhelmed by driving. Watching what I was doing. Watching what other drivers were doing. Watching what pedestrians were doing. All that busy stuff - so I let my husband do the driving and bought myself a push bike. That was fine until he died 9 years. Luckily my daughter lives close by so I go shopping with her and I don't generally have any desire to stray far from home. 

My preferred mode of transport is now my electric bike. I'm lost without it. Recently I've had to buy a new one. My old one had done over 7200 miles as I used it to cycle to work and back. My new one was expensive but hopefully good quality so I hope to get many years of use out of it

Inula

• I saw, today, something that might suit me and looks cheap enough.. A street legal goft cart sort of thing that can go on the road. I saw one today. investigating. Looks like the gas powered ones can go up to 2300 miles on a tank!

Perhaps something you might be interested in?

• Cycling is not an option for me due to balance problems

Have you tried it - the gyroscopic effect of the wheels makes balance almost automatic as soon as you are moving so you only have to focus when you start or stop.

There are also battery assisted push bikes that can take away the difficult part of starting pedaling and balancing.

It may be worth borrowing one or renting one for a day to see how you get on. Ideally get someone to go with you who can ride to help you build confidence. It really is quite easy as soon as you get going.

I know I could order a taxi currently but I hate being a passenger, it makes me so uncomfortable especially if the driver tries to chat.

If you are in an area covered by Uber then there is often an option (certainly for the Black service) to select if you want the driver to not chat - quite handy.

• Sorry to hear you are facing this change. We autists can find adjusting to change difficult and I hope you are able to find solutions that work for you.

I have a car and I do like the freedom it brings but I find I am using it very infrequently these days. Maybe once or twice a month for shopping plus day trips / holidays a few times a year. Even when I do go for a day out or on holiday I prefer to leave the car parked up and walk everywhere when I get there. 

It is becoming harder to justify the huge expense of having a lump of metal parked outside, unused and slowly rusting. Like me it is aging and getting it through the annual MOT is a source of great stress. In the not too distant future there is going to be a point where it is not worth repairing. I'm not sure what I'll do then. Where I live public transport is poor with only a handful of buses each day. If I were to give up driving I suspect I would become even more isolated at home.

Cycling is not an option for me due to balance problems. I do like walking but my nearest supermarket is around 8 miles away, so that's a bit far to walk. I also quite like travelling by train but my nearest station is around 20 miles away, so I still need a car to get there.

I am looking forward to a future where driverless cars are available on demand and car ownership becomes a thing of the past. I could order one online and the car would arrive at the door to take me wherever I want to go. I know I could order a taxi currently but I hate being a passenger, it makes me so uncomfortable especially if the driver tries to chat.

• The basic shape lends itself to having a full door entry.

• I'm so sorry you find yourself in this situation Debbie and I hope you'll find new outlets that can replace going out for a drive. 

I find driving a great release when life and especially my mental health are getting a bit much. I get in the car, drive, and listen to soothing music and everything starts to feel better again. And it's handy for getting about to places I need to go. They've stopped all the buses here so without my car I really don't know how I would get about. I don't have any friends or family to turn to.

If you do decide to do some gardening I hope the weather stays good where you are Slight smile

• I'm sorry you're unable to drive now. I hope you're ok.

I walk whenever possible. I feel trapped when I'm in a car and it causes panic attacks.