Mode of transport: car, bike, legs, magic carpet, teleporter?

How do you get about and are you happy with your mode of transport?

I used my legs, pushbike, moped, buses and trains until 17 years ago when I got my 1st car.

Now my car has died and I don't anticipate being able to drive again, for various reasons.

I'm wanting to make the best of this - far less expense and what I find the unpleasant experience of driving and grappling with other aggressive drivers.

I might get fitter.

I do have a couple of people who would be willing to give me lifts when necessary.

Any upsides anyone can see to me being car free, but also, what about you?

ps.  I no longer work, so that's a huge advantage when not having your own transport.

Parents
  • Thanks everyone for all your replies.

I used the bus today for the 1st time in years.

It wasn't too bad but then it was a good time of day - not full (a double decker) and just women 'of a certain age' like me, mainly.

It did take 3 times as long as the car because of the guided tour of housing estates but that's par for the course.

So, overall, I'm feeling quite optimistic.

I've found everyone's input here very helpful.

It is becoming harder to justify the huge expense of having a lump of metal parked outside, unused and slowly rusting. Like me it is aging and getting it through the annual MOT is a source of great stress. In the not too distant future there is going to be a point where it is not worth repairing. I'm not sure what I'll do then

My car was going to cost £1400 to repair and it's old.

It needed new brakes including calipers, all round.

I was told by the garage that not using the car very much and the extremely wet weather we have had were part of the cause.

Where I live public transport is poor with only a handful of buses each day.

The bus to the place I tend to visit regularly to shop is every hour, which is what I caught today.

I hope that your car continues to survive.

• So, overall, I'm feeling quite optimistic.

That's good to hear.

I was told by the garage that not using the car very much and the extremely wet weather we have had were part of the cause.

When I have problems it's usually the brakes. I have put that down to living in a hilly area but I suspect the lack of use plays a large part too. 

It cost me £500 to get mine through the MOT last month. That will hopefully be one less thing to worry about until next year. The whole process is so stressful and I find I cannot focus on anything else until it is resolved. Having a car is a responsibility and causes a lot of worry, for me that would be one advantage of giving it up.

That reminds me I haven't been out in my car yet this month. I think the Easter school holidays have finished now, so it should be safe to venture out next week.

Thank you Fingers crossed

• So, overall, I'm feeling quite optimistic.

That's good to hear.

When I have problems it's usually the brakes. I have put that down to living in a hilly area but I suspect the lack of use plays a large part too. 

It cost me £500 to get mine through the MOT last month. That will hopefully be one less thing to worry about until next year. The whole process is so stressful and I find I cannot focus on anything else until it is resolved. Having a car is a responsibility and causes a lot of worry, for me that would be one advantage of giving it up.

That reminds me I haven't been out in my car yet this month. I think the Easter school holidays have finished now, so it should be safe to venture out next week.

Thank you Fingers crossed

Children
  • 1400 quid for a brake service sounds unreasonable, and says to me that your mechanics can swap out parts but accomplish little else. An all too sadly common experience I am afraid.

I mean really good used calipers ready to fit should only be about 100 quid a corner, surely? 

MInd you, if you will drive a Ferrarri...

It would be interesting to see what the other car savvy people think of your 1400 quid brake service...  I used to expend less than that on my Jag amd I'd insist on the correct mostly new parts being fitted. An entire diff swapout and engine valve seals replacement on my Daimler 4.0L didn't cost me that much! 

Brakes are consumables... What do you drive?