Mode of transport: car, bike, legs, magic carpet, teleporter?

How do you get about and are you happy with your mode of transport?

I used my legs, pushbike, moped, buses and trains until 17 years ago when I got my 1st car.

Now my car has died and I don't anticipate being able to drive again, for various reasons.

I'm wanting to make the best of this - far less expense and what I find the unpleasant experience of driving and grappling with other aggressive drivers.

I might get fitter.

I do have a couple of people who would be willing to give me lifts when necessary.

Any upsides anyone can see to me being car free, but also, what about you?

ps.  I no longer work, so that's a huge advantage when not having your own transport.

• You might think so.

That's not been our experience. And "got it going" currenlty means lots of actual transmutation of deteriium gas into (we think, based on the changed plasma colour) helium/dt mix  but no net power output yet. 

I've no wish to deceive or over represent their achievement.

Done it twice though, with two different setups, and currenlty redesigning the machine for better relaibly & less consumption of big expensive mosfets. 

• I drive which gives me greater freedom and less contact with other people.  I also enjoy walking with my dogs in the countryside.

• I don't drive yet. The area I live in doesn't allow public buses and taxis. I usually ride the school bus to school and my parents drive me wherever else I need to be. I guess some upsides for me are not having to figure out how to get places or how to drive and also it's better for the environment when I walk or ride my bike places in the summer. 

• I'd take a magic carpet

Me too.

I saw a film when I was a child (possibly the Thief of Bagdad) where one featured and ever since I've rather liked the idea....

• I'd take a magic carpet. Smiley

• Me too, teleportation would be such a useful ability to have. 

• 'My mates are sitting on a semi-funcitonal proof of concept Nuclear fusion device they've worked on for more than ten years, got it going'

REALLY? got it going?? got the concept going? There will be a huge market for clean power in coming years to power the AGI revolution

• I test drove the Model S and they apologised for not having the latest software, and I said fine adn just drove it like a "normal" (but incredibly fast, at one point and delightful for the rest) car.

It instantly cured my tendancy for late braking at traffic lights etc, because early braking was rewarded by the regenerative system putting a percentage of the energy I was losing though early braking back to the battery.

If I had money to burn (lottery win etc) I'd love to drive one, (just for teh accleration and speed possibilties) but the battery tech is dangerous and fails early and expensively, AND they are hard on their tyres particually if driven "enthusiastically" because of the increased weight and torque developed by the various electric motors.

Climate change appears to be the same half assed thinking that gave us a covid vaccine that is proving to be more lethal than the pathogen it was developed to fight, and Ive seen figures that suggest that a single volcanic eruption at teh level we've been having in recent memory releases a level of CO2 (That's plant food, don't forget) that dwarfs what our cars put out. I'd like to see a bit more debate on some of these matters rather than us all just BLINDLY TRUSTING the in many cases self appointed "experts".

The big problem that no-one talks about is not what we've already done to the planet The 1 Billion of us that live like we do, but the damage that will happen when the other 7 or 8 billion people demand a similar standard of living.YET at the same time there's an unofficial moratorium certainly in the field of physics, where exploration into alternative techniqes adn fuels is given lip service but no real work is actually being done. 

There's tons of money availble for missile defence and drone research adn Ukraine and Israel military matter but sod all for alternative research.

FFS, My mates are sitting on a semi-funcitonal proof of concept Nuclear fusion device they've worked on for more than ten years, got it going, but there's no interest or help out there in helping them with the next power producing phase. (which is dangerous and I've refused to do my part of that research citing concerns for my neighbours and family) I did buy a van so I could go and do testing out in the country (but apparenlty I bought a special "non-insurable for sensible money" kind of van,  so that can't happen, now until I get that unscrewed.

• I have a first had account given to me by someone who alledgedly went through a US army "jump room" in teh states and exited in wick, Ireland. In the 19560's. 

Apaprenlty the tech works well, but there is a price to be paid.

I half believe her becuase of reasons.

• Well, ...we might just be at risk of being classified as "On Trend" after all!:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/20/wheelie-bag-nanna-glamour-shopping-trolley 

• My friend has a tesla and when I went in it, I realised I'd have to learn to drive all over again if I went  for an electric car, the tesla has a huge A4 sized control screen, come sat nav which I found really distracting, there's no way I would be able to drive safely with one.

I don't think the tech is quite there yet with electric cars, I've read about lots of problems with them, they seem to last for about 5 years then develop a fault thats so expensive to repair, it's cheaper to scrap it. Not being able to afford new car prices anyway I certainly wouldn't buy one and definately not a second hand one.

• although it is tough on motorbike... you have to go through all weathers, wet, wind, snow, freezing cold. your waterproofs are never waterproof and you get soaked to the bone and get freezing cold, if your gloves decide to no longer work your hands become painfully cold riding in winter. i was wearing summer gloves for first 2 winters of work that has holes in that let all air waft through when riding... it was so painfully cold wearing them in winter.

• i have a motorbike for commuting... if i didnt need to work i wouldnt bother with any vehicle at all.

picked motorbike as they are cheaper cost and cheaper insurance, my insurance is £200 per year. a cr would be like £3000 per year.... my motorbike only cost me like £2000 brand new from the factory 0 miles... a car would cost like as much as a house for that... and with the switch to pathetic electric all cars bottom price will be 30k now, thats nearly more expensive than my home lol so yeah i stick with motorbikes, i dread the switching to electric as i think its just forcing a higher cost of living on us and making it so we normal people arnt allowed transport and cant exist. the green climate stuff is a rich bourgeoise scam to trod all over the poor masses and ensure we have no mobility.

• Always drive, had company cars for about 20 years. Hate the bus because of the people, just don't like transport that I am not in control of and that I can't be alone in.Live on a bus route but in 18 years I have used it like 6 times.

• A luxury first class train compartment beside the first class lounge at the station both ends with people to take my luggage and my chauffeur driven limousine with a glass of champagne on arrival, as I’m super classy - think Alexis from Dynasty lol 

• telling people that once they get up to speed they'll be alright isn't really helpful and actually feels quite dismissive.

The reason I mentioned it is that it removes the concern that most people feel for the difficulty of balancing that comes at slow speeds.

What you are describing is quite different to this - it sounds like your brain is making you feel unbalanced when in fact the bike is in equilibrium due to the gyroscopic forces involved (I have a degree in physics so I know this to be a fact).

Most people think you have to work to balance perfectly over two tiny pieces of rubber in contact with the road when in fact it is perfectly possible once moving to take your hands off the handlebars and if you sit upright, to continue in a straight line.

What you describe sounds like your brain won't accept this and is trying to create its own balance by leaning, making matters worse and things spiralling out of control from there. Either the inner ear or the brain responding to the balance mechanism seem to be the cause of this.

It looks like there are a lot more people with this than I thought - up to 15% according to this link:

https://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/balance-disorders

My apologies for making you feel belittled, it was not my intention.

• Living in the U.K. and having family in Ireland, getting the train and ferry is a far more civilised way to travel than flying - where possible I try to get direct trains and even better in first class or business class seats - on the ferry, I do like the first class lounge (bring the champagne and caviar lol) as I’m Uber classy lol 

• The one bus service that still works here is also once an hour. The drivers and the passengers are very nice I have formed a few hello-nodding bus friends. The place I live has the same people over and over riding. It does take a long time, that's for sure. I sit in the reserved seats in front where it's rarely crowded. You are also inspiring me to maybe find other ways besides a car.

• This is an issue with me too. Some of the services providers here are under new management and poorly managed by inexperienced people who have never used the services they are providing. Busses and show up late or leave without me early then gaslight me into thinking it's my fault. Transportation is one of the areas of my life that is, now, most in need of revision. I'm working on autonomy now. After years of predictable transit, now turned unpredictable, I will have to get a vehicle.