Mode of transport: car, bike, legs, magic carpet, teleporter?

How do you get about and are you happy with your mode of transport?

I used my legs, pushbike, moped, buses and trains until 17 years ago when I got my 1st car.

Now my car has died and I don't anticipate being able to drive again, for various reasons.

I'm wanting to make the best of this - far less expense and what I find the unpleasant experience of driving and grappling with other aggressive drivers.

I might get fitter.

I do have a couple of people who would be willing to give me lifts when necessary.

Any upsides anyone can see to me being car free, but also, what about you?

ps.  I no longer work, so that's a huge advantage when not having your own transport.

Parents
  • i have a motorbike for commuting... if i didnt need to work i wouldnt bother with any vehicle at all.

picked motorbike as they are cheaper cost and cheaper insurance, my insurance is £200 per year. a cr would be like £3000 per year.... my motorbike only cost me like £2000 brand new from the factory 0 miles... a car would cost like as much as a house for that... and with the switch to pathetic electric all cars bottom price will be 30k now, thats nearly more expensive than my home lol so yeah i stick with motorbikes, i dread the switching to electric as i think its just forcing a higher cost of living on us and making it so we normal people arnt allowed transport and cant exist. the green climate stuff is a rich bourgeoise scam to trod all over the poor masses and ensure we have no mobility.

• My friend has a tesla and when I went in it, I realised I'd have to learn to drive all over again if I went  for an electric car, the tesla has a huge A4 sized control screen, come sat nav which I found really distracting, there's no way I would be able to drive safely with one.

I don't think the tech is quite there yet with electric cars, I've read about lots of problems with them, they seem to last for about 5 years then develop a fault thats so expensive to repair, it's cheaper to scrap it. Not being able to afford new car prices anyway I certainly wouldn't buy one and definately not a second hand one.

• I test drove the Model S and they apologised for not having the latest software, and I said fine adn just drove it like a "normal" (but incredibly fast, at one point and delightful for the rest) car.

It instantly cured my tendancy for late braking at traffic lights etc, because early braking was rewarded by the regenerative system putting a percentage of the energy I was losing though early braking back to the battery.

If I had money to burn (lottery win etc) I'd love to drive one, (just for teh accleration and speed possibilties) but the battery tech is dangerous and fails early and expensively, AND they are hard on their tyres particually if driven "enthusiastically" because of the increased weight and torque developed by the various electric motors.

Climate change appears to be the same half assed thinking that gave us a covid vaccine that is proving to be more lethal than the pathogen it was developed to fight, and Ive seen figures that suggest that a single volcanic eruption at teh level we've been having in recent memory releases a level of CO2 (That's plant food, don't forget) that dwarfs what our cars put out. I'd like to see a bit more debate on some of these matters rather than us all just BLINDLY TRUSTING the in many cases self appointed "experts".

The big problem that no-one talks about is not what we've already done to the planet The 1 Billion of us that live like we do, but the damage that will happen when the other 7 or 8 billion people demand a similar standard of living.YET at the same time there's an unofficial moratorium certainly in the field of physics, where exploration into alternative techniqes adn fuels is given lip service but no real work is actually being done. 

There's tons of money availble for missile defence and drone research adn Ukraine and Israel military matter but sod all for alternative research.

FFS, My mates are sitting on a semi-funcitonal proof of concept Nuclear fusion device they've worked on for more than ten years, got it going, but there's no interest or help out there in helping them with the next power producing phase. (which is dangerous and I've refused to do my part of that research citing concerns for my neighbours and family) I did buy a van so I could go and do testing out in the country (but apparenlty I bought a special "non-insurable for sensible money" kind of van,  so that can't happen, now until I get that unscrewed.

• I test drove the Model S and they apologised for not having the latest software, and I said fine adn just drove it like a "normal" (but incredibly fast, at one point and delightful for the rest) car.

It instantly cured my tendancy for late braking at traffic lights etc, because early braking was rewarded by the regenerative system putting a percentage of the energy I was losing though early braking back to the battery.

If I had money to burn (lottery win etc) I'd love to drive one, (just for teh accleration and speed possibilties) but the battery tech is dangerous and fails early and expensively, AND they are hard on their tyres particually if driven "enthusiastically" because of the increased weight and torque developed by the various electric motors.

Climate change appears to be the same half assed thinking that gave us a covid vaccine that is proving to be more lethal than the pathogen it was developed to fight, and Ive seen figures that suggest that a single volcanic eruption at teh level we've been having in recent memory releases a level of CO2 (That's plant food, don't forget) that dwarfs what our cars put out. I'd like to see a bit more debate on some of these matters rather than us all just BLINDLY TRUSTING the in many cases self appointed "experts".

The big problem that no-one talks about is not what we've already done to the planet The 1 Billion of us that live like we do, but the damage that will happen when the other 7 or 8 billion people demand a similar standard of living.YET at the same time there's an unofficial moratorium certainly in the field of physics, where exploration into alternative techniqes adn fuels is given lip service but no real work is actually being done. 

There's tons of money availble for missile defence and drone research adn Ukraine and Israel military matter but sod all for alternative research.

FFS, My mates are sitting on a semi-funcitonal proof of concept Nuclear fusion device they've worked on for more than ten years, got it going, but there's no interest or help out there in helping them with the next power producing phase. (which is dangerous and I've refused to do my part of that research citing concerns for my neighbours and family) I did buy a van so I could go and do testing out in the country (but apparenlty I bought a special "non-insurable for sensible money" kind of van,  so that can't happen, now until I get that unscrewed.

Children
  • You might think so.

That's not been our experience. And "got it going" currenlty means lots of actual transmutation of deteriium gas into (we think, based on the changed plasma colour) helium/dt mix  but no net power output yet. 

I've no wish to deceive or over represent their achievement.

Done it twice though, with two different setups, and currenlty redesigning the machine for better relaibly & less consumption of big expensive mosfets. 

• 'My mates are sitting on a semi-funcitonal proof of concept Nuclear fusion device they've worked on for more than ten years, got it going'

REALLY? got it going?? got the concept going? There will be a huge market for clean power in coming years to power the AGI revolution