Clothing

I've recently noticed that I buy and wear the same style of clothes. My wardrobe is full of new clothes but I don't wear them and always go back to my usual clothes. I hate anything tight on me. Does anyone else have the same issue?. I want to wear something different but I just can't bring myself to do it

• hmm.. I have a very tall friend. I will ask her for tips. She always looks tiptop.

• I'm a disaster area with a sewing machine, it all looks to be going perfectly and then it stops and the thread breaks and I realise I have a nest of knotted cotton on the fabric and in the machine. It will work perfectly if someone else does it, sewing machines hate me. I can't hand sew any more dues to hypermobility in my finger joints.

In order to alter clothes you have to have enough fabric to do so, you can only lengthen trousers if you have sufficient hem to turn down and most don't. You can't make sleeves bigger as they're set in and whilst you maybe able to open the side seem, theres not enough sleeve fabric to make it larger. You may also ruin the overall look of the garment by interfeering with things like bust darts and waist lines.

• I have that problem too but I also don't like things too tight. It's difficult finding the right fit and type of clothing.

• I wear the same style of clothes every day and have done since I was old enough to know what I like and what works best for me. My wardrobe is full of the same styled clothing that is comfortable for me. I've had it a few times where I want to try something new but it will always result in oversensitivity and overload.

But it's a bit like makeup. I see others wearing it and bright new clothes, like beautiful lace dresses and I want to be the same as them. I don't put myself through it as much anymore because I know how my body will react but sometimes I force myself, just so I can do it even though I know suffering will be the reward at the end.

• I always wear the same trousers because they have a pocket on both quadriceps, one for a phone, one for glasses case. I would never put a phone in a back pocket and would like to rip those off. If is in the side pocket, it's always in the side pocket. Neurodivres are not supposed to be that socially aware but I have just thought of an advantage. If you meet someone at a table eg meal I heard the other day that even if you put your phone upside down on the table you are saying to that person subconsciously that your phone is more important than them. If it's in your back pocket it's forced upon you Also I have just bought a jacket with four pockets because I don't feel comfortable with a bag over my shoulder. People call it a man bag. So my hope is I can wear the jacket like a handbag with space for everything I need day to day.Grin

• Can you sew and alter?

• I struggle with loose clothes. Everything gets draughty.

• I'd love to have a better relationship with clothes, but being tall it's not often I find trousers to fit and I dislike skirts partly because tights are never long enough or fit properly. What I dont' get is that recently the trend seems to be for tops to have really skinny arm holes, do they think I have broom sticks for arms? I wonder if because to many clothes are made in China and if they have any idea of a typical western body shape? The really weird thing is I can get lovely linen trousers from supermarkets in summer and they're a bit long on me and I've got really long legs, but I can't get any in winter, whats that about?

• I am. I wear the same thing. I have multiples of them. I dread the day they stop making them! I only like loose clothing. I don't like to be cold at all either and don't do well inn it unless I am draped in many layers of loose layers. And I don't like my feet to be enclosed in shoes. The tropics are my cup of tea.

• Not really, to be honest. I am very calculated and don't like wasting money on clothes. If I am buying something, I have to make sure that I need that piece of clothing and that I will wear it for over a year. To save money, I even buy replica clothes, which are also made from suitable quality materials. Not long ago, I found an mens designer aaa reps. It's a designer that works with clothes replicas, and it's a good one. If you feel that your wardrobe is full of clothes that you don't wear, you may have an issue.

• I wish I had bought my most comfortable trousers in bulk because as they wear out I find they don't have quite the same, especially with softness of material. One pair I keep repairing but they are getting to the stage where I can't do any more.

• And for the fellow prosopagnosia sufferers it gives them an extra chance of recognising me.

Indeed it does IP!

Ben

• Me too. Pays to bulk buy when I find something I like, because in this age of fast fashion it may no longer be available once I have worn something to the point where it is falling apart (though that process probably takes years, so the fashion does not need to be that fast!). The downside is that manufacturing standards are not always that great, so things that are supposed to be the same can fit quite differently!

I am going to steal Pegg's interpretation when challenged on it - I am sacrificing my own fashion sense in order to provide a beacon of stability in an ever-changing world. And for the fellow prosopagnosia sufferers it gives them an extra chance of recognising me.

• Exactly Ben! 

I too have multiples of the same clothing - great to find I'm not alone there, used to think it was just me! 

I wear the same things to work, pretty much. It's not an NT thing, but some of my students seem to find my 'sameness' reassuring - I'll take that! Blush

• Definitely loose fitting and has to be cotton or mostly cotton. When I was young my friends used to try to make me trendy. Now I just wear what I am happy in.

• I think that's natural, as we get older.

Though, to be honest, I never gave a f**k about fashion. Nowadays, young Men and Boys are dickied up, by Mammy, and take forever looking designer haircuts. Ireland really takes the biscuit, in this matter.

• I rarely buy new clothes, but when I do I seem to be drawn to the same style of clothes. Having said that, my taste in clothing has changed as I've aged. For example, when I was in my 20s and 30s, I used to wear a lot of roll-neck tops. I am now in my late 40s and cannot stand to wear them.

When I was younger, I was more adventurous in terms of what I wore. Now, I just tend to play safe.

• Comfort aids confidence.

Never mind what others think.

Ben

• I discovered some time ago that people at work were joking behind my back about me always wearing the same (smart) clothes to work.

• When I find something I like and am happy to wear, I buy it in multiples of two; trousers, shirts, jumpers and boots.... but not suits as I so rarely wear them. I am often teased about wearing the same clothes, and always in black or dark colours,  but I couldn't give a damn, I'm comfortable!  And that's that.

Ben