Inpatient mental health hospital and restraint

I've just been discharged from MH hospital (I was there on a section 2). Whilst I was there, they restrained me - it keeps coming into my mind.  The doctor said they should have stayed with me and waited for the shutdown to pass rather than restrain me.  How can I cope with this? (apart from time)

• I am sorry to hear this happened to you and it must have been so traumatic. Based upon what the doctor said to you it does sound as if it should not have happened.

NAS have and continue to campaign for the rights of autistic people detained in mental health units. They may well be interested to learn of your experiences to highlight a problem in their future campaigns.

NAS also have an 'Autism Inpatient Mental Health Casework Support Service' who may be able to advise you more specifically on your rights and if you may have grounds for a complaint.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/inpatient-mental-health-hospitals/autistic-people-and-inpatient-mental-health-hospit/aimh-casework-service 

I understand you may decide to put the experience behind you for the sake of your own mental health. However such treatment of autistic people should not be allowed to continue. I certainly don't think that lack of staff to stay with you is adequate grounds for physical restraint.

• They forceably brought me inside, as I was refusing to come then went into a shutdown.

• Thanks, that's helpful.

• Thanks for sharing.  They did it because I was refusing to come inside.

• I have worked in a MH hospital. Hopefully a restraint would have been a last resort.

Obviously, I don't know what or how they did it, but hopefully it was to protect you at that time. I know that was what I was trained to do, although I didn't actually use any restraint techniques in the time I was there.

Restraint should only be used in case of danger to the patient, other patients, or staff.

If this was not the case then perhaps you need to make a complaint.

• ah you mean they should have not restrained you but instead had staff with you, but perhaps they were low on staff and the staff needed to go elsewhere so to ensure you stayed put they strapped you down or something?

is this what you mean?
    that would be a under staffing problem if thats the case.

• Patience is key. You're right, time is a healer, slow yes but it does heal. I was so far gone it was unreal. I was restrained. I never thought I would get over it and be able to move on. And here I am talking with you now, in a much better place. The same will happen for you.

I think the key is acceptance. Accept that this has happened.

Accept that it can't be changed. 

And then move on with your life. Don't look back on what happened, look forward on the good things that are to come. It is a bad memory as Kittera said and believe me it is best forgotten.

Have faith in yourself and please take care.

Cave Troll.

• I don't know what to tell you... it will probably stay as a bad memory.

My sister once woke up in a hospital (she did not understand she had an accident) and found herself tied up in a normal hospital room, but she thought she had been kidnapped and like Wolverine ran out and tried to escape until she was caught and calmly explained the situation. (Lol)

Try to see their logic, if the doctors had restrained my sister, she would have probably freaked out (a lot) but she would have not tried to escape and put herself in danger. Maybe you were put on medication and they didn't want you to have a delusional episode (None of us have to know the details of your stay, don't worry) and the doctor was also probably very busy or simply he didn't want you to get out of your bed and thought this was the only way. Sure the last one is not the most human to think about, but my mother did work at a hospital for a while (out of the UK) and sometimes doctors are not as sympathetic as we imagine... she would know what she saw, she was a psychologist there.

Anyway, I hope you can somehow relate or understand and move past it. If you still think of it, maybe go see a therapist, there is nothing shame to go see a pro for something that traumatised you.