Inpatient mental health hospital and restraint

I've just been discharged from MH hospital (I was there on a section 2). Whilst I was there, they restrained me - it keeps coming into my mind.  The doctor said they should have stayed with me and waited for the shutdown to pass rather than restrain me.  How can I cope with this? (apart from time)

Parents
  • I am sorry to hear this happened to you and it must have been so traumatic. Based upon what the doctor said to you it does sound as if it should not have happened.

NAS have and continue to campaign for the rights of autistic people detained in mental health units. They may well be interested to learn of your experiences to highlight a problem in their future campaigns.

NAS also have an 'Autism Inpatient Mental Health Casework Support Service' who may be able to advise you more specifically on your rights and if you may have grounds for a complaint.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/inpatient-mental-health-hospitals/autistic-people-and-inpatient-mental-health-hospit/aimh-casework-service 

I understand you may decide to put the experience behind you for the sake of your own mental health. However such treatment of autistic people should not be allowed to continue. I certainly don't think that lack of staff to stay with you is adequate grounds for physical restraint.

• I am sorry to hear this happened to you and it must have been so traumatic. Based upon what the doctor said to you it does sound as if it should not have happened.

NAS have and continue to campaign for the rights of autistic people detained in mental health units. They may well be interested to learn of your experiences to highlight a problem in their future campaigns.

NAS also have an 'Autism Inpatient Mental Health Casework Support Service' who may be able to advise you more specifically on your rights and if you may have grounds for a complaint.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/inpatient-mental-health-hospitals/autistic-people-and-inpatient-mental-health-hospit/aimh-casework-service 

I understand you may decide to put the experience behind you for the sake of your own mental health. However such treatment of autistic people should not be allowed to continue. I certainly don't think that lack of staff to stay with you is adequate grounds for physical restraint.

Children
No Data