Inpatient mental health hospital and restraint

I've just been discharged from MH hospital (I was there on a section 2). Whilst I was there, they restrained me - it keeps coming into my mind.  The doctor said they should have stayed with me and waited for the shutdown to pass rather than restrain me.  How can I cope with this? (apart from time)

Parents
  • I don't know what to tell you... it will probably stay as a bad memory.

My sister once woke up in a hospital (she did not understand she had an accident) and found herself tied up in a normal hospital room, but she thought she had been kidnapped and like Wolverine ran out and tried to escape until she was caught and calmly explained the situation. (Lol)

Try to see their logic, if the doctors had restrained my sister, she would have probably freaked out (a lot) but she would have not tried to escape and put herself in danger. Maybe you were put on medication and they didn't want you to have a delusional episode (None of us have to know the details of your stay, don't worry) and the doctor was also probably very busy or simply he didn't want you to get out of your bed and thought this was the only way. Sure the last one is not the most human to think about, but my mother did work at a hospital for a while (out of the UK) and sometimes doctors are not as sympathetic as we imagine... she would know what she saw, she was a psychologist there.

Anyway, I hope you can somehow relate or understand and move past it. If you still think of it, maybe go see a therapist, there is nothing shame to go see a pro for something that traumatised you.

• I don't know what to tell you... it will probably stay as a bad memory.

My sister once woke up in a hospital (she did not understand she had an accident) and found herself tied up in a normal hospital room, but she thought she had been kidnapped and like Wolverine ran out and tried to escape until she was caught and calmly explained the situation. (Lol)

Try to see their logic, if the doctors had restrained my sister, she would have probably freaked out (a lot) but she would have not tried to escape and put herself in danger. Maybe you were put on medication and they didn't want you to have a delusional episode (None of us have to know the details of your stay, don't worry) and the doctor was also probably very busy or simply he didn't want you to get out of your bed and thought this was the only way. Sure the last one is not the most human to think about, but my mother did work at a hospital for a while (out of the UK) and sometimes doctors are not as sympathetic as we imagine... she would know what she saw, she was a psychologist there.

Anyway, I hope you can somehow relate or understand and move past it. If you still think of it, maybe go see a therapist, there is nothing shame to go see a pro for something that traumatised you.

Children