Veggie Sausages and other products.

Recently been cutting back on meat intake, normal autistic trait from young, only really eat processed meat.

Tried some of the new vegetarian sausages today, ‘THIS isn’t pork sausages’, really enjoyed them and the texture is really good. Some brands have been vile. Would be interested to know if anyone else has found some good veggie alternatives on the market. I do cook some vegetarian meals from scratch, interested more in off the shelf for when busy.

• but it was like a flat red slipper on a plate.

Perhaps it was a flat red slipper on a plate.

You never know what might be served these days Boot

• I did try the McDonald’s vegetarian burger, wasn’t impressed, very little taste and covered in that goopy sauce they put on everything.

• Debbie I agree. If I'm eating out I prefer actual vegetables in burger form. I got a monstrosity once at a carvery. I didn't ask for it so it was a bonus that they brought it out....but it was like a flat red slipper on a plate.

• I've found that since the trend for 'vegan' products there are fewer veggie products that are just vegetables in breadcrumbs etc which I like best.

So, I go to a restaurant/pub to eat and instead of the usual veggie options that used to be available, there are substitute meat products which I find disgusting.

I hate quorn.

For example, recently I went to a Burger King for the 1st time in years, and they no longer have their lovely bean burgers but a horrid quorney thing which was all soggy and I couldn't eat.

I tend to buy beanburgers and vegetable 'quarter pounders' ie veggies in breadcrumbs in my home shopping.

I don't know of any sausages that aren't made to look and taste like meat and don't have the consistency of wet rubber, so there's nothing available sausage wise for me Disappointed

• I do like the Quorn chicken pieces, I fry them in some soy sauce, then add them to  stir fry veg and Chinese sauce. Really tasty and cooked in about 10 minutes.

• Autism and digestive issues do seem to coexist together.

It would depend what kind of soup of course as many do contain meat products, so wouldn't be vegetarian. Even something like tomato soup contains cream/milk, so wouldn't be vegan. 

• I guess I could be considered a vegetarian and a vegan as I only eat soup and drink water. I have a very sensitive tummy and can't eat too much...If I do it makes me ill.

But I think if I could eat a variety of foods I would be vegetarian anyway. I just don't like the thought of sweet little animals being killed for food like that.

• I am a bit limited by my wheat allergy when it comes to veggie/vegan sausages but like the Asda OMV sausages which are pretty much the same as the M&S plant bangers. My sister in law really likes the Richmond ones but I’m allergic to them so I don’t actually know what they’re like myself. I prefer the ones that are more soya based, not a huge fan of the mushroom based ones

• Vegetarian sausages don't have any meat in them Open mouth

Vegetarians don't eat any meat but do eat dairy products. Vegans don't eat any meat or dairy.

• Vegetarian sausages don’t have meat in but they can have dairy and egg in them which vegan sausages don’t 

• oh no, i had a vegan sausage one time and it was disgusting, tasted like plastic and had a strong after taste that you couldnt get rid of.

but then again that was a vegan sausage.... im sure veggie sausages still have real meat in them just has a addition of herbs spices and stuff... so depends, a vegan sausage is disgusting, a vegetarian sausage can still have meat in but be nice because its meat that is more seasoned with other stuff.

• I've been veggie for around 40 years. My go to product has always been Quorn, mainly because that was all that was available. I was less keen on the Linda McCartney stuff. 

Nowadays there are so many brands available and the choices can be overwhelming. I've tried a few of the newer ones but I tend to revert back to Quorn, as that's what I'm familiar with. The Vegetarian Butcher products are also quite good.

Like out_of_step I don't want something to resemble or taste like meat too closely, however I understand there is a market for that.

• Plant base vegetable burgers are really good and Quorn sausages, ham and turkey/chicken. Vegetarian cheese does contain coconut so be careful. Usually cut back on meat.

• I find a lot of the fake meat things are too weird. To a vegetarian they are too close to actual meat (my carnivore partner heavily disagrees!) I trust quorn sausages because theyve been around for years and the recently discovered richmond ones are pretty good as a breakfast item. I don't necessarily think meat free / alternative automatically = healthy. It probably depends what they are made from.