Are you conscious of how you come across to others?

In my case, many have told me that I have made them feel uncomfortable so I've really had to look at myself.

I've never intended to, but I think me being so closed off emotionally (masking perhaps) plus a lot of bad habits didn't really help. I've spilled my guts to people I didn't know very well, and have probed people for personal info sometimes. I regret all of that and am a lot more aware of how I come across, as well as what's appropriate and what's not.

I started looking at how Ed Sheeran speaks and conducts himself in interviews. He'll be the first to admit that he's not the most expressive man in the world but I always think he has a coolness and swagger when he speaks and I wish I had that, but I'm basically masking if I try and emulate him.

The people who used to be in my life would probably describe me as quite expressive sometimes, even though my sense of humour has always been quite dry (another something which doesn't help perhaps?).

I guess it's just about finding that confidence. 

• In that particular case it was a friend looking out for me, but I see what you mean. I've had loads of other instances of people saying I'm really quiet but not following it up with anything, so it just frustrates me instead.

I regret not utilising the support systems I had to stop worrying about all that stuff when I'm around them. Asking them to assure me it's a no judgement zone etc. 

• I'm only aware in how people respond to me, not in my own experience. So I generally just have the automatic assumption that I'm coming across as weird and/or boring, but I don't know unless someone actually makes it obvious. 

• Sometimes I am aware of how I come across to others, but sometimes I'm not.

I often worry about coming across as arrogant, or completely patronising, which are traits that I find deeply off-putting. As a result, I think I can sometimes be rather verbose, as a means of hopefully getting the message across that I don't intend to be either of those things.

• I also am very conscious of how I come across, which skyrocketed when I was at college and a teacher commented on how they avoided me due to me making them feel uncomfortable. I do try and keep to myself, I only ever engage in conversation if someone initiates it, and keep it as short as possible. I try to come across as bubbly and happy as I can, and this got me through the majority of any social interaction I've had and since I don't make lasting connections, people don't get to see any other version of myself. 

I could talk forever, but I do not want to digress. I hope you find/have a support system that you do not feel the need to mask or feel acutely self conscious with :)

• I think it must be common for ND people to be told they're 'withdrawn when they may not be at all. It's an interpretation of NT people in my own experience, along with 'aloof' and 'unapproachable' 

I laugh at myself because it's easy to do - but in all seriousness, I've spent untold hours worrying about what I've done/said wrong in countless situations which required human interaction. 

I try not to tie myself in knots over it any more, I don't have the energy! 

• I think this is probably a good place to connect with other like-minded people, which is a good start on the road to friendship..

I get that not everyone wants friends, some are perfectly content alone. 

• I too am not a voluntarily expressive man. I have only ever dealt with the present without stressing myself with imaginings of what may be thought of me.  I have lived my life according to my two premis's:

1. How important a roll this person I am speaking with has on my life. 99% of the time that person presents no roll in my life so what that persons impression of me is irrelevant. However, If what has been said is of value, it will be taken on board without any concern over what impression I give. Having said that I treat everyone with the respect they deserve and will politely agree to disagree if necessary---and sleep very comfortably that night.

2. I was raised to offer an opinion when it was asked for. I try my best to keep to that which is often misintrepreted as being aloof. If I have to make a point I try my best to be clear and sussinct to that point.

At a guess, closing myself off emotionally is how I insulate myself  from derision,or rejection. I get no "kick" out of attempts to influence others and expect to be judged with fairness although I do try not to pre-judge others. 

I will "open-up" when necessary to introduce myself to a group sometimes saying more than what is needed. Beyond that I try to be brief.

• I'm trying to get better at just accepting compliments and positive words for what they are - I used to have the tendency to feel like I need to make a joke or something.

They say "fake it til you make it" but I don't know how practical that is for us Autistics.

• It's a funny one because I'm extremely conscious a lot of the time, but then there's other times someone has been like "you seem a bit withdrawn" and I didn't even realise it.

• I don't have any friends either.

• It's mostly anxiety related for me as well. Every time I try to achieve confidence anxiety whisks it away from me.

It's nice when people see positives in me. I never see what they see but appreciate it when they tell me.

• And also, I lost most of my hearing in an accident a few years back and I mishear people about half the time, so now my comms skills are even worse! Joy

I am truly a comedy of errors..  

• Nah! Nope. 

I do try. But I don't think I am conscious of how others perceive me a lot of the time. I generally haven't got a clue and couldn't guess. On the rare occasions I find out, I'm either shocked or surprised..

That's probably why I don't have any friends... Sob

• A lot of the things people liked about me were things I never saw in myself - maybe they saw beyond the mask but I don't know.

I am shy and awkward, and I realise that can't help either, but I can't magic up confidence as much as I wish I could.

I think it is largely anxiety related, it certainly is for me. 

• Yeah, I wish I did that more. I do find it's those I didn't naturally gel with that I ended up feeling more uncomfortable with, and they therefore feel uncomfortable.

Me saying and doing the wrong thing (completely unintentionally) has destroyed relationships and it does leave you feeling pretty rubbish.

• I'm very self conscious as to how others perceive me.. Generally I feel that I do put others off, perhaps because I mask a lot and they see through it.

I'm never sure if that's my anxiety telling me this and making me feel even more self conscious. I tend to avoid people so I don't feel so self conscious.

• I am extremely self-conscious; after an age of saying, and doing, the wrong thing.

People are inconsistent, however. It's best to focus on those who value yourself.