Do you wear a bra?

I have spent my whole life looking for a comfortable bra, but to no avail.

When decency allows I go without but I gave up doing that outside after some embarrassing experiences.

So, I have thrown away more uncomfortable bras than I've had hot dinners (slight exaggeration).

It's only struck me this evening (light a bolt of lightning, but less dramatic) that as other women seem to tolerate them, maybe it's the autism that makes me hate them and be constantly aware of a section of my body being squeezed.

I wonder if others on here have similar experiences?

Bikini

• Sometimes yes because it can be embarrassing without. But I prefer not to because they can be really uncomfortable and rub up my skin. I don't think there's such a thing as a comfortable bra unfortunately. At home, I never wear one unless I've got people round.

• Oh! Apparently we're not supposed to say ti*ts in this forum. I blame IndigoMandala. He's a bad influence on me. I mean breasts of course.

• Getting on your *** is exactly what a bra is supposed to do though isn't it?

Are we allowed to say *** in this forum? Open mouth

• I don't wear bras but I am transmas

However I hated wearing them when I presented as a woman. The most I will wear now are old sleep bras

• There's a market out there for someone to make and sell properly made really comfortable stays or bras or similar  .. something that holds the bits in place so they don't wobble but so comfortable we can forget about the item of clothing on our bodies.

What you write is fascinating.

Thank you.

• That's all really helpful info, thank you! I'm fairly confident with a sewing machine so I imagine I'll be okay- much of what you've said is what I was expecting. I am extremely pleased to hear the tip to avoid hand-sewing the eyelets though as that was something I was NOT looking forward to Joy

• I don't mind wearing bras, fortunately. I've also now got a couple of more comfortable ones which I got in Primark and have no wires or anything but a little bit of support. Hopefully you can find something like that if needed! 

• weirdly i actually can't not wear one! i like things being really tight on my body and kind of sucking everything in because it feels more neat, i cant bear the feeling of my bare skin touching clothes. 

• I have no idea Peter lol I can say  if my imaginary ill fitting bra was a bad fit. If would really get on my ti*ts

• I think people are more upset that a lot of people do like to see girls without bras ;)

• Apparently we 'should' because it's what everyone does and is expected of us.

But I do what's right for me so I don't wear them. Bras are uncomfortable. They dig in to my skin, the material irritates and they cause more sweating.

If people don't like to see me or other women without a bra then don't look!

I choose comfort every time.

• should a bra rest lower down beneath the arm pit? If the side of the bra is in your arm pit it must be fit really badly.

• I’m a bloke so don’t wear a bra but....anything that’s under my armpits sends me into panic mode.  It’s usually a sensory thing for us.

• Complicated. Took me a day. But definitely doable with some sewing experience and time.

Fundamental bits is it involves a bunch of gussets and you sew 3 -  4  identical layers the 2 inner ones being the stiff material and then sew the layers together.

Definitely do a mock up if you can and have a strong sewing machine. There are some bits where you are sewing through many layers of material. I can give you a link to the pattern I used if you think that would be useful. The material is not cheap but it does provide the bulk of the structure so use the recommended material. If you think it feels like cardboard, you are correct, that's why you line it with softer stuff. This is another benefit of stays. You can choose the fabric you wish to feel. You will also likely want a garment underneath them. If you are wearing it with a dress, that is what a chemise is for. If you can make stays, you can definitely make a chemise, the pattern I used includes both.

This is one of those garments where measure twice cut once is key. You will need a million pins, you will bend many of them. There are many layers of material. Consider buying new sharp but relatively cheap pins for the project, if not you will probably need to buy more after the project anyway.

Also, use metal eyelets for the corsetry bit. Do not try and hand sew eyelets, it ends in madness and murderous impulses.

Stays work best for empire waistlines as that is what they are designed for. Unlike modern bras that push the breasts up and out these push them up and in, and fundamentally turn your bosom into a shelf. This is what they are supposed to do. Excellent for storing things in, I can easily fit a phone with a bunch of other stuff in mine. 

Do not recommend for Bollywood style dancing.

I have a relatively small bosom so these work great for me. If you are on the larger end you may find long stays more supportive, but in regency style these involve a large section of wood and so can make bending difficult. Strongly don't recommend long stays for Bollywood style dancing.

• I've been considering short stays myself actually- my one bra that I always get is a longline one so not too different. How was the construction process?

• I can't deal with wire or padded bra. The material of the bra also makes a big difference, I can't deal with any lace and I need minimal seams. I tend to wear crop tops or simple sports bras. I often also wear binders.

•  I made a set of regency short stays, which are mildly similar to a bra as in they cover the same part of the chest, but I found it to be much more comfortable than a wire bra or many sports bras. This could also have been because I made it to fit me exactly though.

• Hi! 

Bra-hater here! 

I stopped wearing them on the day of my 17th birthday and now I'm 24! 

Couldn't deal with the materials, the pinned-in feeling, straps, sweat... Everything! 

If I have to wear something for whatever reason, I wear Calvin Klein cotton sports bra things, they are much more comfortable and breathable! 

Good luck in your search for a comfortable bra or have fun if you decide to ditch them completely! 

Darcie x