Do you wear a bra?

I have spent my whole life looking for a comfortable bra, but to no avail.

When decency allows I go without but I gave up doing that outside after some embarrassing experiences.

So, I have thrown away more uncomfortable bras than I've had hot dinners (slight exaggeration).

It's only struck me this evening (light a bolt of lightning, but less dramatic) that as other women seem to tolerate them, maybe it's the autism that makes me hate them and be constantly aware of a section of my body being squeezed.

I wonder if others on here have similar experiences?

Bikini

• Yay! Thanks for including me in your bra boat.

• Thanks everyone for your replies.

We are all in the same bra boat Rowboat

• Thanks I’ll give them a look

• I do wear them, but will remove them of an evening at home as I don't like the feeling of the tightness and the fact that it's touching me. My hubby laughs when he sees me fumbling under my top and launching it across the room. "I guess we're in for the night then?" 

• I'm interested in historical clothing and corsets/stays do feel totally different to a bra, even for fashion purposes rather than support. There are some really interesting videos online by Bernadette Banner where she talks about what it's like to wear a Victorian-style corset intended for everyday wear and it seems far more comfortable than people might expect, since the tight lacing people often associate with corsetry wasn't widespread at the time corsets were in common use. I'm genuinely interested in giving it a go!

• It’s never too late to try lol

• Ha, yes, me too, but mine are all black! I had a dress for work that I liked so much I bought more of them, and then went looking for a dressmaking pattern as close as possible to that dress so I could make them myself if the shop stopped selling them Joy

• Have you tried Bravissimo or the Brastop website? I'm a 28E and these two places are where I get my bras.

• I've never worn a bra myself.

• As much stress as it causes sometimes going in to shops can be helpful and eye opening.

• For all my sensory issues with touch and clothing I can actually tolerate bras unless the wires have bent in the wash to dig in my ribs. Wearing the correct size really helped with the comfort though, felt like a weight had been lifted off my chest when my boobs were actually supported instead of just covered. Trouble with having a small back size is most shops start at 32 finally ventured into Debenhams and M&S in my mid/late 20s and discovered 28 and 30 backs exist! (In bigger cup sizes as well)

• I cannot deal with bra straps, they are incredibly annoying and constantly feel uncomfortable, I wear a bra everyday however it's always strapless. I definitely think it's an autistic thing due to senses

• Hello. You're not alone in this, I feel the exact same way with bras that are very uncomfortable to wear always feels like I'm being strangled there. Unfortunately I do need to wear a bra otherwise I get terrible back ache! But they are uncomfortably tight and they aren't skin friendly. I did message one company who gave me a lovely reply and recommended some other brands, so if I find a good one I'll let you know.

• That's a general trend for me re my clothes and they are all blue, grey or green Blush

• I don't really have much choice in the matter- I have a very small band size and a big cup size, so going without a bra is actually worse for me in terms of comfort and support!

I do think my approach to bras is still a very autistic one though- there's one specific style from one specific brand that I really like and I don't really want to wear anything else, so I've bought several of those over the years rather than wearing ones that don't feel right.

• I'll always wear one if I need to venture out. Wearing one doesn't bother me too much unless the weather causes me to feel hot and sticky, as has been the case of late. Having said that, it's always a relief when I'm back home and can take my bra off.

As I understand it, I think the relief of removing one's bra (especially if underwired) is universal, especially if one has been wearing one for much of the day. However, I feel it's quite possible that autism can lower our tolerance for wearing them.

• If it’s just a question of support a sports bra might suit you better given theyre designed to handle sweat and generally don’t have underwear to poke at you. If you like it from a fashion point of view you might try a corset. it offers the support of a bra but again typically doesn’t have the underwire or for that matter the straps or hugging band. It is of course tight around the waist but not as tight as you might imagine depending on the type.

• I don't like wearing bras. They're uncomfortable and don't feel comfortable in hot weather with sweating like we've had recently. I find the material is super horrible against my skin as well.

My mum had been buying me loads to find a "friendly" bra but nothing so far. Definitely need one though but they are so bad I wish there was a comfortable one.