Do you wear a bra?

I have spent my whole life looking for a comfortable bra, but to no avail.

When decency allows I go without but I gave up doing that outside after some embarrassing experiences.

So, I have thrown away more uncomfortable bras than I've had hot dinners (slight exaggeration).

It's only struck me this evening (light a bolt of lightning, but less dramatic) that as other women seem to tolerate them, maybe it's the autism that makes me hate them and be constantly aware of a section of my body being squeezed.

I wonder if others on here have similar experiences?

Bikini

Parents
  • If it’s just a question of support a sports bra might suit you better given theyre designed to handle sweat and generally don’t have underwear to poke at you. If you like it from a fashion point of view you might try a corset. it offers the support of a bra but again typically doesn’t have the underwire or for that matter the straps or hugging band. It is of course tight around the waist but not as tight as you might imagine depending on the type.

• I'm interested in historical clothing and corsets/stays do feel totally different to a bra, even for fashion purposes rather than support. There are some really interesting videos online by Bernadette Banner where she talks about what it's like to wear a Victorian-style corset intended for everyday wear and it seems far more comfortable than people might expect, since the tight lacing people often associate with corsetry wasn't widespread at the time corsets were in common use. I'm genuinely interested in giving it a go!

•  I made a set of regency short stays, which are mildly similar to a bra as in they cover the same part of the chest, but I found it to be much more comfortable than a wire bra or many sports bras. This could also have been because I made it to fit me exactly though.

•  I made a set of regency short stays, which are mildly similar to a bra as in they cover the same part of the chest, but I found it to be much more comfortable than a wire bra or many sports bras. This could also have been because I made it to fit me exactly though.

Children
  • There's a market out there for someone to make and sell properly made really comfortable stays or bras or similar  .. something that holds the bits in place so they don't wobble but so comfortable we can forget about the item of clothing on our bodies.

What you write is fascinating.

Thank you.

• That's all really helpful info, thank you! I'm fairly confident with a sewing machine so I imagine I'll be okay- much of what you've said is what I was expecting. I am extremely pleased to hear the tip to avoid hand-sewing the eyelets though as that was something I was NOT looking forward to Joy

• Complicated. Took me a day. But definitely doable with some sewing experience and time.

Fundamental bits is it involves a bunch of gussets and you sew 3 -  4  identical layers the 2 inner ones being the stiff material and then sew the layers together.

Definitely do a mock up if you can and have a strong sewing machine. There are some bits where you are sewing through many layers of material. I can give you a link to the pattern I used if you think that would be useful. The material is not cheap but it does provide the bulk of the structure so use the recommended material. If you think it feels like cardboard, you are correct, that's why you line it with softer stuff. This is another benefit of stays. You can choose the fabric you wish to feel. You will also likely want a garment underneath them. If you are wearing it with a dress, that is what a chemise is for. If you can make stays, you can definitely make a chemise, the pattern I used includes both.

This is one of those garments where measure twice cut once is key. You will need a million pins, you will bend many of them. There are many layers of material. Consider buying new sharp but relatively cheap pins for the project, if not you will probably need to buy more after the project anyway.

Also, use metal eyelets for the corsetry bit. Do not try and hand sew eyelets, it ends in madness and murderous impulses.

Stays work best for empire waistlines as that is what they are designed for. Unlike modern bras that push the breasts up and out these push them up and in, and fundamentally turn your bosom into a shelf. This is what they are supposed to do. Excellent for storing things in, I can easily fit a phone with a bunch of other stuff in mine. 

Do not recommend for Bollywood style dancing.

I have a relatively small bosom so these work great for me. If you are on the larger end you may find long stays more supportive, but in regency style these involve a large section of wood and so can make bending difficult. Strongly don't recommend long stays for Bollywood style dancing.

• I've been considering short stays myself actually- my one bra that I always get is a longline one so not too different. How was the construction process?