Mental Health Awareness Week

I don't want to come across all negative here, but I don't have the answer, need to get it off my chest, and wonder if I am alone in this line of thought.
Whilst I appreciate the concept of Mental Health Awareness Week as it was intended, for the last few years, certainly in the workplace, it seems little more than a gimmick. All I see are 'bandwagoning' extroverts who seem to be overly optimistic about the whole affair, only to drop it at the end of the week (or, in some cases, dragging out for another week or so).
From my perspective as an undiagnosed autistic in the waiting list limbo, who also suffers from depression and anxiety, it actually exacerbates my sense of worthlessness as I feel unseen. I'm not actively participating in any events on the matter, so am not worthy of attention.
I know it's supposed to encourage openness on MH issues, but I withdraw, which considerably make things worse. To the point I cannot talk to anyone about it (it is significantly easier to type in a forum, however).
Am I alone in thinking this? Does this adversely affect others in the target audience for whom this is supposed to assist?
  • Nooooooo, MEDITATE LOUDERRRRRR!!

• You have made perfect sense. I feel likewise.

• My employers have been banging on about this, and I find it’s just for show. I don’t think they actually care about anyone’s mental health. I dare say if I mentioned anything I’d just get a ‘look’ like there’s smoothing wrong with me.

It’s good that people feel better about speaking about their troubles though. And you can get help for anxiety and depression etc, but as an autistic person who suffers with high levels of anxiety, making a post on work social media about it doesn’t help me. The treatment doesn’t help me either, as it’s not tailored to ASD individuals.  
    Also, Autism as a mental health disorder, and just feel as though my plight doesn’t matter,  but the lady who takes time off work with anxiety or panic attacks gets some sort of preference and acknowledgment. I’m not  playing down these issues, I just feel unseen. I also think I haven’t made much sense in this reply lol

• Sad that mh resources on the nhs are  ... all but non-existent.

• Ok, now i have the image of a cliche drill instructor, berating recruits for not meditating hard enough ... "MY GRANDMOTHER CAN MEDITATE HARDER THAN YOU!!" ....Drop and give me thirty ooohhhmmms....

• During pregnancy, you need to be especially careful about taking medications. Some drugs can harm the developing fetus and cause various pregnancy complications. Therefore, before starting to take any medication, it is necessary to consult a doctor and make sure that it is safe for pregnant women. In some cases, the doctor may prescribe a substitute drug for a safer one or recommend to postpone taking it until the end of pregnancy. It is important to remember that self-medication during pregnancy can cause serious harm to the health of the baby and the mother. For a better condition, I even used [link removed by moderator]. It at least somehow improved my condition.

• I agree with everything that's been said in this thread.

• Yeah awareness week isn't much of it now. We need more support in the service, better support, more treatment that focuses on helping the individual rather than shoving him or her in a hospital for months on end.

At the moment mental health services suck. Seem to do more worse than good so this needs to change. Rather than focusing on being aware of mental health they need to focus on how to better help people who suffer mentally.

• I feel it is getting a bit stale, as surely everyone is ‘aware’ of mental health problems. It would be better to focus on campaigning for better funded services so that those who are ‘aware’ can actually get the help they need. 

• I agree. I've always felt much, much worse during this 'week' (this year is worse than normal).

I always thought it was just me being oversensitive and miserable. Certainly felt I was made to feel that.

Just don't know what to do about it:

• Raise it and be cast aside as an over-negative miseryguts.
    • Ignore it (far from easy for an overthinker)
  • I don't think anyone likes it except for the people with no direct experience who are patting themselves on the back for suggesting the rest of us go outside.

Mental health awareness week could potentially be very helpful in correcting misconceptions and reducing stigma, but unfortunately it currently isn't doing that. The fact that it's a week and not a sustained campaign doesn't help- people like to be seen to be doing SOMETHING, but anything too long-term is too much effort, so they just drop it after a week and never dig into anything that would genuinely be helpful.