Mental Health Awareness Week

I don't want to come across all negative here, but I don't have the answer, need to get it off my chest, and wonder if I am alone in this line of thought.
Whilst I appreciate the concept of Mental Health Awareness Week as it was intended, for the last few years, certainly in the workplace, it seems little more than a gimmick. All I see are 'bandwagoning' extroverts who seem to be overly optimistic about the whole affair, only to drop it at the end of the week (or, in some cases, dragging out for another week or so).
From my perspective as an undiagnosed autistic in the waiting list limbo, who also suffers from depression and anxiety, it actually exacerbates my sense of worthlessness as I feel unseen. I'm not actively participating in any events on the matter, so am not worthy of attention.
I know it's supposed to encourage openness on MH issues, but I withdraw, which considerably make things worse. To the point I cannot talk to anyone about it (it is significantly easier to type in a forum, however).
Am I alone in thinking this? Does this adversely affect others in the target audience for whom this is supposed to assist?
Parents
  • I don't think anyone likes it except for the people with no direct experience who are patting themselves on the back for suggesting the rest of us go outside.

Mental health awareness week could potentially be very helpful in correcting misconceptions and reducing stigma, but unfortunately it currently isn't doing that. The fact that it's a week and not a sustained campaign doesn't help- people like to be seen to be doing SOMETHING, but anything too long-term is too much effort, so they just drop it after a week and never dig into anything that would genuinely be helpful.

• I don't think anyone likes it except for the people with no direct experience who are patting themselves on the back for suggesting the rest of us go outside.

Mental health awareness week could potentially be very helpful in correcting misconceptions and reducing stigma, but unfortunately it currently isn't doing that. The fact that it's a week and not a sustained campaign doesn't help- people like to be seen to be doing SOMETHING, but anything too long-term is too much effort, so they just drop it after a week and never dig into anything that would genuinely be helpful.

Children
  • I agree. I've always felt much, much worse during this 'week' (this year is worse than normal).

I always thought it was just me being oversensitive and miserable. Certainly felt I was made to feel that.

Just don't know what to do about it:

• Raise it and be cast aside as an over-negative miseryguts.
    • Ignore it (far from easy for an overthinker)