Mental Health Awareness Week

I don't want to come across all negative here, but I don't have the answer, need to get it off my chest, and wonder if I am alone in this line of thought.
Whilst I appreciate the concept of Mental Health Awareness Week as it was intended, for the last few years, certainly in the workplace, it seems little more than a gimmick. All I see are 'bandwagoning' extroverts who seem to be overly optimistic about the whole affair, only to drop it at the end of the week (or, in some cases, dragging out for another week or so).
From my perspective as an undiagnosed autistic in the waiting list limbo, who also suffers from depression and anxiety, it actually exacerbates my sense of worthlessness as I feel unseen. I'm not actively participating in any events on the matter, so am not worthy of attention.
I know it's supposed to encourage openness on MH issues, but I withdraw, which considerably make things worse. To the point I cannot talk to anyone about it (it is significantly easier to type in a forum, however).
Am I alone in thinking this? Does this adversely affect others in the target audience for whom this is supposed to assist?
Parents
  • My employers have been banging on about this, and I find it’s just for show. I don’t think they actually care about anyone’s mental health. I dare say if I mentioned anything I’d just get a ‘look’ like there’s smoothing wrong with me.

It’s good that people feel better about speaking about their troubles though. And you can get help for anxiety and depression etc, but as an autistic person who suffers with high levels of anxiety, making a post on work social media about it doesn’t help me. The treatment doesn’t help me either, as it’s not tailored to ASD individuals.  
    Also, Autism as a mental health disorder, and just feel as though my plight doesn’t matter,  but the lady who takes time off work with anxiety or panic attacks gets some sort of preference and acknowledgment. I’m not  playing down these issues, I just feel unseen. I also think I haven’t made much sense in this reply lol

• You have made perfect sense. I feel likewise.

Reply Children
No Data