Mental Health Awareness Week

I don't want to come across all negative here, but I don't have the answer, need to get it off my chest, and wonder if I am alone in this line of thought.
Whilst I appreciate the concept of Mental Health Awareness Week as it was intended, for the last few years, certainly in the workplace, it seems little more than a gimmick. All I see are 'bandwagoning' extroverts who seem to be overly optimistic about the whole affair, only to drop it at the end of the week (or, in some cases, dragging out for another week or so).
From my perspective as an undiagnosed autistic in the waiting list limbo, who also suffers from depression and anxiety, it actually exacerbates my sense of worthlessness as I feel unseen. I'm not actively participating in any events on the matter, so am not worthy of attention.
I know it's supposed to encourage openness on MH issues, but I withdraw, which considerably make things worse. To the point I cannot talk to anyone about it (it is significantly easier to type in a forum, however).
Am I alone in thinking this? Does this adversely affect others in the target audience for whom this is supposed to assist?
Parents
  • Yeah awareness week isn't much of it now. We need more support in the service, better support, more treatment that focuses on helping the individual rather than shoving him or her in a hospital for months on end.

At the moment mental health services suck. Seem to do more worse than good so this needs to change. Rather than focusing on being aware of mental health they need to focus on how to better help people who suffer mentally.

• Yeah awareness week isn't much of it now. We need more support in the service, better support, more treatment that focuses on helping the individual rather than shoving him or her in a hospital for months on end.

At the moment mental health services suck. Seem to do more worse than good so this needs to change. Rather than focusing on being aware of mental health they need to focus on how to better help people who suffer mentally.

Children
No Data