ADHD: Private clinics exposed by BBC undercover investigation

Harley Psychiatrists (one of the clinics investigated) did my online ASD assessment via the NHS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65534448

Parents
  • Personally, I think observation by a clinician is of very dubious worth, when applied to adults who may have perfected masking techniques over many years

That's a good, and reassuring, point.

.Do you think that your time processing and assessing your diagnosis SINCE it was given to you is now more affirming than the original piece of paper?

A good question that I will need to think about.

I'm still processing at the moment.

Also, all the most appalling ‘no diagnosis’ stories I’ve heard on here have been courtesy of the nhs lottery assigning an outrageously old fashioned assessor to the person seeking help. ‘You can make eye contact and you have friends -not autistic. NEXT!’ Was the experience related. Why should ‘leading nhs psychiatrist’ be any more inherently trusted given these experiences? I’m dubious. 

Yes.  I agree. 

I had my ASD diagnosis from this company and it was a pretty rapid process, but the actual diagnosis came via the RAADS test and a long history of classic Aspie behaviours, so I'm sure it was correct.

Good to know.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Food for thought.

• Personally, I think observation by a clinician is of very dubious worth, when applied to adults who may have perfected masking techniques over many years

That's a good, and reassuring, point.

.Do you think that your time processing and assessing your diagnosis SINCE it was given to you is now more affirming than the original piece of paper?

A good question that I will need to think about.

I'm still processing at the moment.

Also, all the most appalling ‘no diagnosis’ stories I’ve heard on here have been courtesy of the nhs lottery assigning an outrageously old fashioned assessor to the person seeking help. ‘You can make eye contact and you have friends -not autistic. NEXT!’ Was the experience related. Why should ‘leading nhs psychiatrist’ be any more inherently trusted given these experiences? I’m dubious. 

Yes.  I agree. 

I had my ASD diagnosis from this company and it was a pretty rapid process, but the actual diagnosis came via the RAADS test and a long history of classic Aspie behaviours, so I'm sure it was correct.

Good to know.

Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Food for thought.

Children