Do I tell people I’m autistic?

Hi folks

Having had autism (strongly) and a side of ADHD show in a recent screening I’m split about whether to tell people, particularly at work.

I always thought other people were a bit boring, and that I just knew my own mind and what I liked/didn’t. Now it turns out it’s me who’s not ‘normal’.

Everything makes much more sense since the screening, but in many cases, I’ve masked this so effectively and for so long that I think many people will just doubt the screening result. Of the two people I told (by accident) when I’d done some online tests that showed autism, both their responses were a straight ‘no you aren’t.’

There are adjustments at work (opting out of social events and decreasing stimulus such heat/noise in the office) that would help, but I’m also wary of people giving me a label and that holding back my career.

What experience do others have of this situation?

Thanks for your time.

• thats the issue. i dont want to be the guy that paints it blue and goes on a march. but im so glad for the other people that want to come out. especially people like chris packham etc. awareness and acceptance of 'high functioning' people is very low. 

• I pretty much told anyone and everyone when I had the chance. But it was a new diagnosis and I was very excited about it.

Now I've calmed down a bit and I'm trying to understand myself a bit better, so I don't bring it up as much.

As for response, it's been pretty good but I've never been one to hide my differences or my opinions. And, sometimes I quite enjoy the awkwardness when I tell someone I'm autistic, seeing the person squirm. I might use the response as a judge of character, because I can be like that sometimes.

I wouldn't really notice if people avoided me because of it because I don't really pay attention to people that much anyway. But I have had several people contact me, or ask me directly, how I got diagnosed and how long it took, because they too were feeling like something didn't quite make sense, and what I had said had resonated with them.

So maybe by disclosing it I've actually helped a few people.

• only your boss and close friends/family. 90% of people wont believe you unless theyve had to live with you.

• In a perfect world telling people you are autistic would be no problem but in this world people are narrow minded and use it against you to discriminate and bully. I've had people do both to me, it's not pleasant. I'd keep it to yourself if I were you.

• I used to think "tell everyone", but recently I told a so called friend, hoping he'd understand and help me explain it to everyone else in the group. Instead he now practically ignores me and treats me like I told him I've got leprosy

• dunno... it can be a thing they can hold you back on... if you dont tell them they may see you as a good worker that is capable and deserving of a promotion.... if you tell them, they will just see you as a problem person who may not be able to handle things and probably cant handle any promotion and instead will demote you in a way and try to take tasks off you and thus opportunity off you too.

have a guy at work whos quite clearly either autistic or schizophrenic, he doesnt need to tell anyone but its very obvious. hes capable and always was in charge of saturdays, but theyd never promote him due to his obvious differences and the assumption that because of that he couldnt handle it or wont be able to do it fast enough or wouldnt be able to cope with the pressure.

• I personally have had a mix of interested and supportive reactions through to some uninterested where it was never mentioned again. It was a bit of a journey learning of a way that I was comfortable disclosing my diagnosis but I’ve found just saying it during a conversation (if I end up in one) to someone I’m comfortable telling and then leaving it up to them if they ask questions or not. Early on I feel like I gave to much detail and was potentially quite intense, but now, if it seems appropriate, I just say what I have to say and leave it at that. I welcome questions if people have them, but also recognise that people might not either. From my perspective I’m also realising more and more who I’m happy telling, and equally who I’m not happy telling. The later I don’t disclose to now, again down to experiencing the range of reactions I’ve had (non of which were overly negative in fairness- unless I missed those cues!)

• I will put forwards I am not confirmed autistic  (though as time as gone and certain situations have occurred I am questioning things a bit), my mother is so I do try to have some understanding in the least, I can never claim it though.

You mentioned career progression, it could halt career progression, however it depends on your current manager, if they are a decent sort and you're good at your tasks I'd argue it could be fairly beneficial for you to tell them at least. 

I'll list the depending outcomes on if you tell your manager at least. (from my perspective)

1.You do tell your manager, it halts your career, at the least you know where you stand, in this environment.

2.You do tell your manager, they take this into account and are supportive, in this situation it could be beneficial, because in terms of career advancement they can bare you in mind in terms of guiding you into a better fit, or warning (not telling you that you cant) you of possible things that you would have to deal with on a regular basis, potentially with little support.

3.You don't tell them, if your mask is very strong, they may genuinely believe that a particular advancement is good for you and encourage you to pursue it, however depending on the potential new environment or new activities and external things you would have to deal with, you could end up in a situation of burn out. (I am not trying to say that would happen to you but I know that it can happen, to anyone really)

That's all I can really add to this, just things to consider which probably aren't too helpful, as far as telling other colleagues I would be a lot more guarded on that, when it comes to "peer" level colleagues unfortunately a "clique" like nature can form and you can get some unsavoury types if they see you as "other".

If some of them have entered the realms of interacting with you in a more friendly basis outside of work, those people would probably be worth telling. That's all I've got to add to this.

Either way I hope you come to a decision that works for you NAS80808.

• WoW!   do they not understand that many of us see NT's as the ones that are different and that they have to be supported by us, as in we have to speak to them a certain way and make them feel comfortable.

• I think you can judge it yourself. I had read many negative experiences from others, but could tell in my work place they would be supportive. And they have been. Maybe have a think about how your colleagues or manager can support you if you do decide to tell them. Or some examples of what you find difficult in the work place. I've learnt this because I told a few colleagues I was autistic and they didn't know what to do with the information. For me it's more about adjustments for anxiety than anything else but I'm still learning there are things I need. I felt more confident to tell people once I had an official diagnosis.

• Everyone I told was really nice about it. I know not everyone understands but I like to think most do.

• The last person I told said,” I’m so sorry, and  I’m going to pray for you.” I really didn’t know how to take it. On the whole I’ve only had positive reactions. Most have just said, “ I thought you was.”

• It depends on the people.  I'm a bit loud and proud about it, but then I work in an environment that values the stuff I can do because of my autism and they are all cool with it.  I also have other autistic colleagues, which helps.

Some folks haven't had such a good reception, mostly I think because they don't understand it.  It's born of ignorance.  

...but you are perfectly "normal".  You are just a "normal" autistic person, as opposed to a defective neurotypical one.  Neurotypicals do sometimes talk about some pointless stuff, apparently they need to do that to bond socially - beats me as to why, but apparently they do.  And it's very healthy indeed to "know your own mind".

• I wouldn't speaking from personal exsperiance people take advantage try and screw you over because if your lucky enough you can go under the radar then do so more for your own protection. They'll tell you to take your autism with pride but there is no pride in it. They talk the talk but in reality still treat us like *** and uploading your weaknesses to here only makes you more of a target to NTs it's us against them and always will be. 

• Truly knowing one's limits, and owning that, is such a healthy thing. I'm getting better about not caring about imagined judgement from others too. I still have wobbly moments in that regard, but see them for what they are.

• Same! It's great to voluntarily offer that additional context to people who hopefully weren't openly judging you for it anyway, just trying to do the NT-normative thing of encouragement to the 'logical' next step. Disastrous step, in my case, so to be able to be an open book on that without shame (and while still recognising that even an NT person shouldn't feel obligated to take on more pressure or an ill-fitting role) seems the healthiest and most societally progressive approach. 

• I’ve found that when new people enter the business, they tend to gravitate to me, and see the potential, and offer words of encouragement to move forwards, join cohorts for career progression etc, especially after hearing I ran my own business for 13 years prior.

However, I’ve always declined, blaming it on family commitments and not wanting so much stress in my life again. Now that I’m diagnosed, I would simply be explaining how this career direction would actually hinder me instead of empower me. 
    I know my limits.

• Interesting that you should mention career progression. One big reason I did say in work was for the opposite reason: explainng why seeking to 'ascend' would probably be a bad move for me - that continuity, not change, at a grade I can more easily manage stress/burnout, was my sesnisible path. Scaffolding, not stagnancy. While it wasn't essential that I said so, it took some sense of pressure (real or imagined) out of the equation for me.

• Same. I have said to those in my department, and to my tiny number of friends, plus family of course. I'm claiming it as part of my identity. I've had zero surprise or negativity from most, though I work in a progressive enough work environment culturally that it maybe is softer in that regard than ones in which less enlightened thoughts might prevail. Also, I think it helps that neurodivergence of various kinds takes refuge in my sort of career, so the concentration of judgemental 'normies' and extroverts is somewhat less overwhelming than in other industries and workplaces. 

• I couldn’t help but tell them after keeping the diagnosis a secret for a few months. My manager was fine, and hasn’t treated me any different really. He said he thinks I do a brilliant job and shares some similarities with me when I mentioned some of my deficits. (My diagnosis for him would be dyslexia and adhd.)

Others have been fine. Some don’t care, some aren’t sure what ASD actually is, and some are indifferent. All in all, I feel more relaxed being me while I’m there. I’ve only mentioned it when the situation arises.
    I’ve mentioned one thing about preferring to do my job role and how I don’t like being moved to different areas (unless they are short staffed) and not to let anyone do my job while I’m on holiday or whatever, as they aren’t as thorough as I don’t want my system messed up lol.

I can opt for workplace adjustments, but for now, they aren’t necessary.