Do I tell people I’m autistic?

Hi folks

Having had autism (strongly) and a side of ADHD show in a recent screening I’m split about whether to tell people, particularly at work.

I always thought other people were a bit boring, and that I just knew my own mind and what I liked/didn’t. Now it turns out it’s me who’s not ‘normal’.

Everything makes much more sense since the screening, but in many cases, I’ve masked this so effectively and for so long that I think many people will just doubt the screening result. Of the two people I told (by accident) when I’d done some online tests that showed autism, both their responses were a straight ‘no you aren’t.’

There are adjustments at work (opting out of social events and decreasing stimulus such heat/noise in the office) that would help, but I’m also wary of people giving me a label and that holding back my career.

What experience do others have of this situation?

Thanks for your time.

Parents
  • The last person I told said,” I’m so sorry, and  I’m going to pray for you.” I really didn’t know how to take it. On the whole I’ve only had positive reactions. Most have just said, “ I thought you was.”

• WoW!   do they not understand that many of us see NT's as the ones that are different and that they have to be supported by us, as in we have to speak to them a certain way and make them feel comfortable.

Reply Children
No Data