Do I tell people I’m autistic?

Hi folks

Having had autism (strongly) and a side of ADHD show in a recent screening I’m split about whether to tell people, particularly at work.

I always thought other people were a bit boring, and that I just knew my own mind and what I liked/didn’t. Now it turns out it’s me who’s not ‘normal’.

Everything makes much more sense since the screening, but in many cases, I’ve masked this so effectively and for so long that I think many people will just doubt the screening result. Of the two people I told (by accident) when I’d done some online tests that showed autism, both their responses were a straight ‘no you aren’t.’

There are adjustments at work (opting out of social events and decreasing stimulus such heat/noise in the office) that would help, but I’m also wary of people giving me a label and that holding back my career.

What experience do others have of this situation?

Thanks for your time.

Parents
  • I pretty much told anyone and everyone when I had the chance. But it was a new diagnosis and I was very excited about it.

Now I've calmed down a bit and I'm trying to understand myself a bit better, so I don't bring it up as much.

As for response, it's been pretty good but I've never been one to hide my differences or my opinions. And, sometimes I quite enjoy the awkwardness when I tell someone I'm autistic, seeing the person squirm. I might use the response as a judge of character, because I can be like that sometimes.

I wouldn't really notice if people avoided me because of it because I don't really pay attention to people that much anyway. But I have had several people contact me, or ask me directly, how I got diagnosed and how long it took, because they too were feeling like something didn't quite make sense, and what I had said had resonated with them.

So maybe by disclosing it I've actually helped a few people.

• I pretty much told anyone and everyone when I had the chance. But it was a new diagnosis and I was very excited about it.

Now I've calmed down a bit and I'm trying to understand myself a bit better, so I don't bring it up as much.

As for response, it's been pretty good but I've never been one to hide my differences or my opinions. And, sometimes I quite enjoy the awkwardness when I tell someone I'm autistic, seeing the person squirm. I might use the response as a judge of character, because I can be like that sometimes.

I wouldn't really notice if people avoided me because of it because I don't really pay attention to people that much anyway. But I have had several people contact me, or ask me directly, how I got diagnosed and how long it took, because they too were feeling like something didn't quite make sense, and what I had said had resonated with them.

So maybe by disclosing it I've actually helped a few people.

Children
  • thats the issue. i dont want to be the guy that paints it blue and goes on a march. but im so glad for the other people that want to come out. especially people like chris packham etc. awareness and acceptance of 'high functioning' people is very low.