Do I tell people I’m autistic?

Hi folks

Having had autism (strongly) and a side of ADHD show in a recent screening I’m split about whether to tell people, particularly at work.

I always thought other people were a bit boring, and that I just knew my own mind and what I liked/didn’t. Now it turns out it’s me who’s not ‘normal’.

Everything makes much more sense since the screening, but in many cases, I’ve masked this so effectively and for so long that I think many people will just doubt the screening result. Of the two people I told (by accident) when I’d done some online tests that showed autism, both their responses were a straight ‘no you aren’t.’

There are adjustments at work (opting out of social events and decreasing stimulus such heat/noise in the office) that would help, but I’m also wary of people giving me a label and that holding back my career.

What experience do others have of this situation?

Thanks for your time.

Parents
  • I think you can judge it yourself. I had read many negative experiences from others, but could tell in my work place they would be supportive. And they have been. Maybe have a think about how your colleagues or manager can support you if you do decide to tell them. Or some examples of what you find difficult in the work place. I've learnt this because I told a few colleagues I was autistic and they didn't know what to do with the information. For me it's more about adjustments for anxiety than anything else but I'm still learning there are things I need. I felt more confident to tell people once I had an official diagnosis.

• I think you can judge it yourself. I had read many negative experiences from others, but could tell in my work place they would be supportive. And they have been. Maybe have a think about how your colleagues or manager can support you if you do decide to tell them. Or some examples of what you find difficult in the work place. I've learnt this because I told a few colleagues I was autistic and they didn't know what to do with the information. For me it's more about adjustments for anxiety than anything else but I'm still learning there are things I need. I felt more confident to tell people once I had an official diagnosis.

Children
No Data