Sensory issues with sleep

Does anyone ellse tend to have an overactive brain before they go to bed? Like if your staying some where different like at a relative's house you can't sleep well unless it's your own bed. Other people's houses freak me out at night time. I can literally here everything from pipes creeking to floor boards to the wind outside. Then my over imagination kikcs in and thinks there must be somone there when reality I do t beleive in ghosts but old Victorian propperties really creep me out. I sleep fine in my house but when we stay at families houses not so much. 

• I am alert at night, as soon as I hear a voice I am awake.  Which is annoying at the moment because my wife’s medication is giving her vivid dreams and sometimes she talks!

• Other people's houses freak me out at night time.

I read somewhere that humans are wired to be on alert during sleep to protect themselves from danger.  I guess it's inbuilt and more prevalent in some people.

I sleep better when my daughter is away at her Daddys as I feel I can fully relax and not have to be ready incase she wakes up and I need to have the perfect parent mask on.  She phoned me tonight from Daddys which she rarely does.  It made my heart dance.

• My brain doesn't work like that due to my ADHD ASD over lap. My brain goes into over drive at night time it's insanely hyperactive even though my body is physically drained longest I've lasted without sleep was 48 hours I had to go to the doctor's and they had to prescribe me with temporary sleeping tablets just so it would *** down and let me get some sort of sleep. Like people assume just cause your have ADHD that makes you physically hyper all the time when in reality ADHD makes your brain mentally hyper but the rest of you physically shattered. 

• I'm quite the opposite caffeine makes me tired alcohol makes hyper stimulants and dipressants work in reverse for me due to my over lap of ADHD as well.

• Never have a problem now - but there are things we have done to make sleep easier

• Always go to bed at the same time (weekends included)
    • Always get up the same time (weekends included)
    • never have caffeine after midday (or a bit later depending on when you go to bed)
    • Don’t use devices at least ah hour before bed
    • Turn the TV off some time before bed and no TV in the bedroom
    • maybe try and read or some wind down activity.

this seems to work for me plus I am often tired at night anyway.  Probably from masking or other type of activity during the day

• Yes. It's actually normal to sleep less well if you aren't in your own bed, even for neurotypicals. Apparently you sleep lighter because your brain is more "on alert" since you are in an unknown location. It usually takes one or two nights to be able to sleep comfortably in a new location.

But it is even worse for autistic people because we are easily bothered by noises and also to struggle with change.

• I am the same, I can't even sleep in the room next door to me as I won't sleep and sleeping at someone elses house is even worse. I think when your in your own room and bed it is naturally your safe space and your automatically used to your surroundings. This always happens to me like if I go for a sleepover, I never sleep anymore and I am anxious all night. I think being in your own home and room also gives you a sense of freedome but when your somewhere else you almost feel trapped.

• u can overcome this by having a Guideb Meditation/ Sleep hypno audio that u listen to no matter where you are --- u're mind then associates the Guided meditation with sleep and u will be asleep in seoonds. I

• Hotel rooms or anywhere different unless I've been there a few times and become familiar are difficult.  I can switch off when I become accustomed to all the new noises/smells/textures/visuals of the room. 

• Hence the reason why I don't have caffeine, it's like an amphetamine to me....

• My Mum worked in the sleep department if I could get any advice for you?  I suspect you and your mum have tried everything though?

• Alcohol and blue light from screens disrupts sleep.

We may feel like a drink helps us get off to sleep but that is habit mainly and the actual effect is disrupted sleep.

Blue light destroys circadian rhythms so is a very bad idea before bed and straight after you wake up.

I am trying to work on these areas myself.

• They say you should stop caffeine after 2pm otherwise it affects your sleep.

• I don't like Hotel Rooms either. And yes. My brain rarely turns off. Reading (a physical book) yoga seem to help these days. Sudoku even... 

• I struggle to get to bed before Midnight.

I drink Caffeine to keep me going at daytime, then remain over stimulated at night time. 

• It's more annoying when you've made plans the next day or something and you can't do anything cause your so drained or exsplaining to a job like why you always come in tiered. Most of the time I have black bags under my eyes cause I never sleep propperly end up looking like festa Adams from the Adams family. My mum says I sleep with my eyes open too and it literally takes me for ever to get to sleep I have to physically and mentally exhaust myself to be able to sleep other wise I can't. 

• I've been struggling on and off with this for a few years. More so tonight. Made a bit a faux pas. I thought sharing a screenshot of various playlists with me meant I could go and lookup said playlists... apparently this is not good form...

• I can't imagine how difficult that must be PR.  I hope you find something to help.....

• Yeah I don't like being in the house in my own. I'm ok when my parents are in the house but when I'm home alone I stay up all night and hate sleeping cause like I said due to sensory issues I can't sleep. 

• This never happens to me at all.  Except every damned night.  In any bed, anywhere, including my own, in my own house.