Struggle with motivation and/or change of plan.

Recently I’ve become increasingly aware of what could be described as a lack of motivation. Only I don’t think it is that simple. I like to plan things to the nth degree (no surprise there) and usually start this process days or weeks in advance. If then on the day everything goes to plan, i.e deliveries turn up on time, people turn up on time and do what they are supposed to, etc, etc. All good! However, if something doesn’t go right, that’s it, I’m stumped. It’s like someone has turned me off.

I can sit on the sofa all day,  or knowing what to do, until I can get into a reorganisation phase and try again. A prime example is the garden building/home office project I’ve got at home at the moment. There are obviously 1000’s of things to do, if if I’ve planned steps 8,9,10, and the materials I need for 9 don’t turn up. That’s it, none starter. Although I could do bits of 11, 15 and 197.

I can’t decide if this is “normal”, I have low motivation or what’s going on.

• I'm Type-A, therefore want everything done IMMEDIATELY!

• Socrates was a wise old owl!

• Sorry if it was a bit long but hope my examples from personal experience can help you.

• I suffer from a lack of motivation every day. What helps me is using tools and methods that help me keep my focus. The one tool I use is to make lists of things I need to do to get a sense of what I need to achieve. The method that helps me is getting that one friend, family member or support adviser. You can ask them to help you get started, break projects into smaller ones, prompt you to help reach targets and asking different method ideas that work for you. It is like tricking yourself into someone who is helping you but you are really helping yourself.

There is no such thing as normal really but what someone may perceive is normal to them and that is ok. This is unique to each person and we all go through our own battles. I factor my low motivation on ADD: attention deficit disorder and autism but the factors can be different to someone else who is struggling with this.

I personally struggle with reading but use this software which is similar in how it works to the tools/methods mentioned above. It is called natural readers, it reads text for you and can highlight where you are in sentences. you can upload your documents on there as well. Press on the person speaking icon in the middle left taskbar, on there you can move to taps free and plus. This will allow you to change it to free but choosing a free speaker in that list. It can be found here: www.naturalreaders.com/.../

• Restarting something because you could do better is exactly me. Anything I complete has taken many drafts to get there, and I'm often not satisfied with the final project. Hence why I have a house full of unfinished projects. I hate that I do that, I always saw it as a personality flaw that I rarely finished what I started.

• I'm the same. I'm something of a perfectionist but it can lead to me not doing anything because I would rather not try than fail.

There are loads of things on my house that I need to do but just don't get round to because it takes so much organisation and I want everything done in a particular way. If I'm waiting for a particular step then nothing else will be done until that step has been completed according to how I want it done.

It even affects me in video games - there are certain games that I simply can't play. Open world games which have become very popular lately are just not enjoyable to me because there is too much choice and I get anxious/stressed from indecision and the idea that I'm missing things. And with RPGs I generally spend days reading up on everything and making my character absolutely perfect and then never actually playing the game. After a certain point I just want to restart because I feel like I could have done it better.

• I always have a plan B, it's just that I don't want to use it because plan A was the best plan. Why would I want to use second best, at the same time why do i create a plan B if it makes me uncomfortable thinking about using it. I'm my own worst enemy really.

• OMG (as the kids say!) I can’t stand untidy people. I put up some shelves for my wife’s mother a few years. She said she needed somewhere for books. Ok fair enough. When I went back 6 months later there were upright books with books shoved on top, there were some sideways, some back to front!! Inter dispersed with cheap charity shop ornaments (tat) I literally can’t go to her house anymore.

• I’m definitely better with a fixed short term goal. It’s one of the few things I was comfortable with when I was on the corporate mill stone. Now I’m self employed I have to set my own goals, Although I try to reflect the customer expectations to help.

• Procrastinating is one of my gifts - if something upsets my carefully organised plan/idea or if I'm working with people and they're going round in one of those wonderfully circular discussions than I'll just disengage with the whole thing until I've re-orientated myself (could take a few hours, few days, weeks? who knows?). 

I can be organised when I'm in the right frame of mind, so anything short-term with a to-be-done by date on it I tend to pull things together quite quickly and adapt if something wobbly happens as long as I know the stuff I'm working with and the parameters I'm working in. If I have to figure it out (this is a usually who/which team/person/company does something type question) I'll go into meltdown. 

• I find it just takes so much energy to finish ,and i don't get any satisfaction from doing it .I am not lazy, people comment on the amount of work i do ,i  hand scythed over an acre of grass ,i re -fenced 9 paddocks the first year i was here. But i do jump from idea to idea ,project to project.

Really struggling to try to get everything up together  to put  house on the market at the moment, so got to try to finish so many things .

• I have so very many unfinished projects, some I may go back to months or years later, others, never. I've always hated that I do that, rarely finish anything. I've always attributed it to a flawed personality on my part. There's a million ideas that are in my head and I want to try them all.

• It is totally normal for me ,i get days where everything is sorted ,then nothing happens .[usually unreliable other people ].Especially big projects.

One of the symptom's of adhd is meant to be loads of unfinished projects ,but i don't know if this is it.

I find it really hard to start again .it throws me.

I always say there is a right time to do something ,and a wrong time ,if you do it at the right time, it all works ok ,if you do it at the wrong time every go's wrong .  That is how i deal with it ,

• Oh Lord, sounds like you're describing my relationship to housework.

I need a clean organised environment and left to my own devises, I manage just fine. I start at point A with the jobs and systematically move to Z, always the same order. When the job is done, my mood improves massively. Only THEN can I think about or do the stuff weekends are for. Without that order, I'm depressed and can't shift myself into doing anything.

Now, chuck in a husband who can cheerfully sit in a mess, doesn't seem to have the words 'order' or 'clean' in his vocabulary and seems to drip debris wherever he goes...

It's an issue...

I get it. I either work hard and systematically at this stuff or, if someone else is disrupting the approach, I turn in circles not knowing where to start and then eventually slump into a depressed mess.

• Do you get very stressed if people suggest you skip parts and come back to them later? 

• Finally heard from friend late last night - too disorganised - can we push it off another 3 weeks to my next non-chemo weekend?

Nothing like plenty of notice......

• Did I not mention it’s a garden building at NASA for astronauts to training with breathing apparatus!!Sweat smile

• The sequence thing is definitely a feature. My life is about getting things in neat rows.

• Yes, that’s it. It’s almost as though the planning took a certain amount of effort, but to deconstruct that plan and create a new one is so overwhelming it’s easier to forget it, but the job is still staring you in the face so you can’t.