Struggle with motivation and/or change of plan.

Recently I’ve become increasingly aware of what could be described as a lack of motivation. Only I don’t think it is that simple. I like to plan things to the nth degree (no surprise there) and usually start this process days or weeks in advance. If then on the day everything goes to plan, i.e deliveries turn up on time, people turn up on time and do what they are supposed to, etc, etc. All good! However, if something doesn’t go right, that’s it, I’m stumped. It’s like someone has turned me off.

I can sit on the sofa all day,  or knowing what to do, until I can get into a reorganisation phase and try again. A prime example is the garden building/home office project I’ve got at home at the moment. There are obviously 1000’s of things to do, if if I’ve planned steps 8,9,10, and the materials I need for 9 don’t turn up. That’s it, none starter. Although I could do bits of 11, 15 and 197.

I can’t decide if this is “normal”, I have low motivation or what’s going on.

Parents
  • Oh Lord, sounds like you're describing my relationship to housework.

I need a clean organised environment and left to my own devises, I manage just fine. I start at point A with the jobs and systematically move to Z, always the same order. When the job is done, my mood improves massively. Only THEN can I think about or do the stuff weekends are for. Without that order, I'm depressed and can't shift myself into doing anything.

Now, chuck in a husband who can cheerfully sit in a mess, doesn't seem to have the words 'order' or 'clean' in his vocabulary and seems to drip debris wherever he goes...

It's an issue...

I get it. I either work hard and systematically at this stuff or, if someone else is disrupting the approach, I turn in circles not knowing where to start and then eventually slump into a depressed mess.

• OMG (as the kids say!) I can’t stand untidy people. I put up some shelves for my wife’s mother a few years. She said she needed somewhere for books. Ok fair enough. When I went back 6 months later there were upright books with books shoved on top, there were some sideways, some back to front!! Inter dispersed with cheap charity shop ornaments (tat) I literally can’t go to her house anymore.

• OMG (as the kids say!) I can’t stand untidy people. I put up some shelves for my wife’s mother a few years. She said she needed somewhere for books. Ok fair enough. When I went back 6 months later there were upright books with books shoved on top, there were some sideways, some back to front!! Inter dispersed with cheap charity shop ornaments (tat) I literally can’t go to her house anymore.

Children
No Data